Limited Edition 50th

50th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustang-Canada Question

Old 7/4/14, 04:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustang-Canada Question

Can anyone confirm how many of the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustangs will be sent to Canada?

Also, any idea how many of these vehicles will be sent to each province?

Old 7/25/14, 06:00 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PP0001
Can anyone confirm how many of the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustangs will be sent to Canada?

Also, any idea how many of these vehicles will be sent to each province?

With all of the numbers of Mustang enthusiasts in Canada I am surprized that someone in the Great White North does not have an answer for my question?

Old 7/25/14, 06:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Of the 1964 LE's, 125 will be allocated to Canada.

However, 119 will be sold, and there are some rules/stipulations on whether a dealership gets one.

We still have SVT/High Vol. dealers here, so they get 50 of 119.
The rest is a lottery based on prior years sales of Mustangs for the rest of the 371 dealerships that qualify.

If a dealership didn't sell any mustangs, they don't get one.

This isn't set by a # per each province.

Last edited by Boomer; 7/25/14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 07:04 AM

Yes Canada will have the limited edition. Only SVT dealerships will be given a limited edition.

My Ford dealership already sold theirs in May for 35k over sticker.
Old 7/25/14, 07:36 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by nbad
Only SVT dealerships will be given a limited edition. .

Only 51 go to SVT/High Vol. dealers.

The rest is a lottery for the remaining eligible dealerships, with a max. of 1 per dealership.

Last edited by Boomer; 7/25/14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 7/25/14, 09:27 AM
V6 Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Boomer

However, 119 will be sold, and there are some rules/stipulations on whether a dealership gets one.

The rest is a lottery based on prior years sales of Mustangs for the rest of the 371 dealerships that qualify.

Boomer, thanks for the attached information.

I had understood that all SVT dealers in Canada were allocated at least one car and also understood about the lottery process but could not come up with final figures from anyone for the total build so appreciate your input.

What is happening with the other 6 cars that will not be sold?

Any word on car covers for this Limited Edition car. I would assume that Ford would offer a custom car cover for these cars similar to what they did on the '12 and '13 Boss cars?

Once all of the LE orders have been received from the various Canadian Ford dealers I am sure that there will be production numbers available by province in due course?
Old 7/25/14, 09:38 AM
I Have No Life

I believe the 6 are for damage replacements 'just in case'

No idea on the car cover.
I'm sure something will be available once the car is released.
Old 7/25/14, 10:00 AM
V6 Member

No idea on the car cover.
I'm sure something will be available once the car is released.
I agree that a car cover will be available once the car is released but I am certainly surprised at Ford for not having a LE car cover as an option when ordering this anniversary car as they did with the '12 and '13 Boss cars?

Something that probably just slipped through the cracks I guess?

The one option that I really like on this LE car is the "Smokers Package".

Hard to believe that an option such as this would be available from any car manufacturer in this day and age?

Old 7/25/14, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Hard to believe that an option such as this would be available from any car manufacturer in this day and age"
I don't smoke (Tobacco) & I wanted the console ash-tray, the Dealer was not able to get it ordered-->

Old 7/29/14, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nbad
Yes Canada will have the limited edition. Only SVT dealerships will be given a limited edition.

My Ford dealership already sold theirs in May for 35k over sticker.

that's just criminal and anyone who'd be willing to pay that much over MSRP should have their head checked.
Old 7/29/14, 01:29 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
that's just criminal and anyone who'd be willing to pay that much over MSRP should have their head checked.

Someone with a lot of money that had to have it.
I don't agree with it, but hey, it's their money to part with.
Old 7/29/14, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It's simple economics. If you restrict supply and demand is high it will drive the price up. Obviously there's a balance point. They would have found it impossible to charge $200,000 over MSRP because supply was too high and demand was too low to warranty that. If Ford said they were going to make as many of these as they could sell, then there would be little or no markup. And if Ford made more than demand warranted, that's when you get rebates and price reductions. No one cries foul when a customer gets a car for under MSRP.
Old 7/29/14, 07:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I don't agree with dealers adjusting their pricing to this level either but with Canada getting very few of these Limited Edition cars compared to America I can see many more Canadian dealers following suit?

I was up in Western Canada a few weeks ago and a B.C. Ford dealer was starting sealed bidding at $66,000 for this car and I suspect that the price will get close to $85,000 or $90,000 by the time the car sells. Sealed bidding ends at the end of August.

Their rational for this type of process was that they always had one local guy buying all of their Limited Edition cars so in order to be fair to all other potential buyers having a shot a this car this is the way the ownership said they wanted to go?

After that explanation I just walked away and went looking for this car at another location in Western Canada.
Old 7/29/14, 07:08 PM
V6 Member

It is my understanding based on a conversation with a large Ford dealership in the Southeast that Ford has allocated approximately 350 of these LE cars for overseas sales.

If the is the case that will only leave approximately 1500 cars for the rest of the U.S.
Old 7/29/14, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

It is my understanding based on a conversation with a large Ford dealership in the Southeast that Ford has allocated approximately 350 of these LE cars for overseas sales.

If the is the case that will only leave approximately 1500 cars for the rest of the U.S.
30 per State...Still quite a few for a limited vehicle...

Ford should've only made 50.
Old 7/29/14, 07:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
30 per State...Still quite a few for a limited vehicle... Ford should've only made 50.
Gonna milk it.
Old 7/29/14, 09:20 PM
I Have No Life

Didn't read anywhere about any going over to Europe.

And what makes me think otherwise, if Canada is only getting just over 100, I highly doubt 350 would make their way to another continent.

I could be wrong, just thinking out loud.
Old 12/20/14, 12:28 PM
V6 Member

I had understood that all SVT dealers in Canada were allocated at least one car and also understood about the lottery process but could not come up with final figures from anyone for the total build so appreciate your input.

What is happening with the other 6 cars that will not be sold?
Canada has received 125 allocations, each of which is assigned to an individual dealer. Given the relative market sizes, Canada is receiving an extraordinarily large number. Ford has not built more than one for any Canadian dealer.

One Canadian unit is NOT being sent to a dealer. It is being sent to an exhibition partner which likely will be a specimen Ford retains for display and preservation.

Any word on car covers for this Limited Edition car. I would assume that Ford would offer a custom car cover for these cars similar to what they did on the '12 and '13 Boss cars?

Once all of the LE orders have been received from the various Canadian Ford dealers I am sure that there will be production numbers available by province in due course?
Ford likely will offer third party covers through it's official accessories channel as one of several types bearing "50 YEARS" rather than traditional Mustang branding which Ford obviously would like owners of the 50th Anniversary Appearance Package to buy too - though given how poorly Ford markets its accessories and brand merchandise, telling the difference can be difficult.

The transport covers, however, are terrific. Why Ford doesn't also offer a version of them for sale is inexplicable. Then again, Ford seems to be having a big enough challenge merely completing what it claimed would be the very first cars built some four-plus months on even without car covers to worry about.

Optional covers Ford once shipped with each car like GT500 for example which it then would have shipped directly to selling dealers' parts department, presumably to prevent loss or theft in transit, don't exist for the Limited Edition 50th cars. It's hardly the only seemingly-irrational packaging decision about the Limited Edition cars Ford has made which includes omitting available options like Reverse Sensors and Adaptive Cruise from what it purports to be a vehicle intended to commemorate its most iconic product.

I wonder who said "Yes" to trick lovers (whose individual replacement cost exceeds $1,000 US), but nixed Reverse Sensors as something owners of the product's most expensive trim wouldn't value. It's not like Ford couldn't have simply raised the price accordingly without affecting one iota of demand. But I digress. But I digress.

With scheduling more than 85% complete (production will continue well into January 2015) and Canadian cars having been assigned Series/VIN numbers from one of two blocks, no further production for Canada is likely.

No additional contingency cars will exist because they cannot be produced using the serialized F550 VIN/Serial scheme. Dealers will need to claim and repair transport damage like any other vehicle. Any examples damaged beyond repair will be written-off as salvage according to each jurisdiction's laws that govern such matters.

To my knowledge, one unit was damaged by fire at its selling dealership and another well-publicized picture shows another precariously wedged atop a carrier truck but its repair status remains unknown.

Hard to believe that an option such as this would be available from any car manufacturer in this day and age?
Any reference to a Smoker's Package is likely a remnant of a fleet or export option code that wasn't listed as excluded for Canada like Engine Block Heaters for the Caribbean. None of the 125 Canadian cars have shipped with the Smoker's Package as a selected option. Nor have any of the 50 cars shipped to Mexico. But a handful of markets DID receive cars with Smoker's Packages like Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S Virgin Islands and even Africa.

Not even close to reality. The final number is likely to be very nearly 200 which includes the 175 made for Canada and Mexico

30 per State...Still quite a few for a limited vehicle...

Ford should've only made 50.
When 1,964 are likely to sell so easily (and profitably), why on earth would Ford limit itself to 50 units - even if it were able to make and sell them profitably?

Very few states will receive 30. Texas alone will receive 250 given the size of the Mustang market. FL and CA will receive about 125 each, with nearly 10% of CA's allocations going to a single store. About 20 states will receive 10 or fewer and another dozen will receive between 11 and 20. States like AK, VT and WY will receive just 1 or 2. The cars will go where the sales are.

Didn't read anywhere about any going over to Europe.

And what makes me think otherwise, if Canada is only getting just over 100, I highly doubt 350 would make their way to another continent.

I could be wrong, just thinking out loud.
GT isn't going to be sold in Europe, so there'd be no way to support the LE cars feasibly. The only European cars so far have been a handful sold through the Oveeseas Exchange for military and diplomatic corps members which will be U.S. cars exported out of market. About half of such cars are being shipped to hometown dealers stateside for delivery after deployment or duty tour.

Otherwise, Ford's export office has 3 units so far designated as one-off sales to unsupported export markets - including Algeria.

A quantity MAY be produced for Australia which WILL be a GT market. But given the cost to produce them in RHD in such limited numbers and how unlikely Ford would be to export a handful of LHD one-offs and then build RHD for mass market sale because of the expanded parts infrastructure needed to support both.

With more than 85% of LE cars already in or through the build pipe, I just don't see it and the bumber of outstanding domestic allocations yet to be queued, any more than onesies or twosies of the remainder NOT going to U.S. stores just isn't likely.
Old 12/20/14, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Remford
When 1,964 are likely to sell so easily (and profitably), why on earth would Ford limit itself to 50 units - even if it were able to make and sell them profitably?

Very few states will receive 30. Texas alone will receive 250 given the size of the Mustang market. FL and CA will receive about 125 each, with nearly 10% of CA's allocations going to a single store. About 20 states will receive 10 or fewer and another dozen will receive between 11 and 20. States like AK, VT and WY will receive just 1 or 2. The cars will go where the sales are.
Point is, 50 would make it a true limited vehicle.

Limited badging gets the attention of customers, helps sell product, especially if it's the last year/generation of whatever car.

Some companies make true Limited versions of cars with numbers less than 100/50/25/10...I understand $$$.

The 30 per state is just an estimated average divided up between the 50 states.
Old 12/20/14, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

Point is, 50 would make it a true limited vehicle.

Limited badging gets the attention of customers, helps sell product, especially if it's the last year/generation of whatever car.

Some companies make true Limited versions of cars with numbers less than 100/50/25/10...I understand $$$.

The 30 per state is just an estimated average divided up between the 50 states.
I suppose that's true, but not without pretty much leaving it devoid of any reason people would have to buy it at the price Ford would need to charge or the entire reason for making it, which is a profitable way to commemorate the 50th Anniversary year in a way that promotes the new product - while likely pissing off a huge swath of owners who otherwise would've liked to own one.

If Ford were just looking for ways to use its marketing budget, there's lots of other ways to get better bang for its buck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Mustang-Canada Question