GT

TMK

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/15, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TMK

Just picked up my 2015 GT. After getting home I looked in the truck where the spare should be and found the Tire Mobility Kit. I know there is no spare if you have that. But there is also no jack. Should there be a jack?
Old 7/25/15, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Nope.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/maint...ility-kit.html

If the tire is too far gone and the kit won't work, then you get help... or you buy a jack, tire iron, and a fifth wheel if you wanna have the spare that bad.

Spares cost so much weight and space for something that overall these days isn't used much. And today's drivers are just not into the whole 'do it yourself' thing, so they've dumbed it down... er, simplified the flat tire process to two things... either it inflates and off ya go, or it doesn't and you get help.

There's another thing... I got the GT500 18" wheels, and the lower profile tires... and once they go flat? Yeah... you're not reinflating that if you rolled on it in any distance. The sidewalls are just about trashed in seconds. Ask me how I know. Oh, sure, you can reinflate it, but it's toast, and you'll be gettin' a new one. But that's the price ya pay for cool/performance, right?

And one last thing... liability. Yes, sure, you and I would *never* go after Ford for their audacity at supplying a dangerous jack, tire iron, and spare to play with and then screw up so bad the car lands on us and takes our leg. Totally our bad, we should have recognized the car was not jacked up right!

But others won't. This prevents that. Yay legalities and liabilities and people not owning their own dang mistakes!

Last edited by houtex; 7/25/15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 7/30/15, 02:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The other issue at least with a spare on the PP cars is getting something that will work with the brakes. The staggered fitment means you cannot just say put a spare on the rear and roll a rear tire forward and keep on moving.

Even though the rim is only a 1/2" wider in the rear, the offset is such that moving a rear tire to the front will cause it to jam against the strut.

One of my neighbors picked up a PP GT and the dealer had delivered it with a scratched wheel. When he had them fix the issue they grabbed a rear wheel and bolted it to the front of his car. He left the dealership and immediately started hearing a noise.

It turned out the wheel had been grinding against the strut so not only did the dealer to get the correct wheel on the car but they had to replace the strut as well and possibly fix or replace the rear wheel they had accidently placed on the front.
Old 7/30/15, 09:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts

Nice jerb der, deeler!
Old 7/31/15, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
even though ford dealers sell stangs.. i have seen tech not so acquainted with mustangs.. my guess is very little stang owners go back to dealership for repairs or service.