GT

sound tube

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/15, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound tube

Those that have removed the sound tube what method did you use to remove the push pin that holds the tube near the shock tower? I have tried to pull it up but I was not able to make any progress. I hate to cut it if do not have too.

This was an easy task with the Boss.
Old 2/15/16, 04:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by badasbullitt
Those that have removed the sound tube what method did you use to remove the push pin that holds the tube near the shock tower? I have tried to pull it up but I was not able to make any progress. I hate to cut it if do not have too.

This was an easy task with the Boss.
You might want to reconsider removing it, I've read that removing it negatively impacts performance because it performs more than what people generally say it does. It's not some vestigial piece in a car.
Old 2/15/16, 06:11 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I have been considering removing mine too. Could you direct me to info that talks of performance or engine issues? From what I have read there seems to be no affect.
Old 2/15/16, 06:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_ai...onator-do.html

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do?

By Richard Rowe eHow Contributor

Save
35 Shares & Saves

TanjalaGica/iStock/Getty Images
To the average hot-rodder, intake resonators go on the same pile as smog pumps, catalytic converters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and charcoal canisters. But imagine which pile the resonator would end up in if that same customizer knew it was more than a plastic muffler -- it's actually an important part of the engine's intake system, and may add a fairly significant amount of horsepower.

Design and Construction

• The resonator itself couldn't be simpler in design; it's basically just an expansion chamber or wide spot in the otherwise-smooth intake pipe. It may or may not contain some kind of baffle or plate, depending upon the design and the intent of the designers. Resonators come in two types: In-line resonators are open chambers that sit in the intake tube, while side-branch resonators are chambers that sit next to the tube and are connected to it via a small duct or channel.
The Common Misconception

• Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.
Pressure Wave Harmonics

• Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.
Intake Tube Pulses

• The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.
The Resonator

• Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.
Old 2/16/16, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Even if that is correct, I don't see anything to convince me it applies to the sound tube.

Even parts called a resonator aren't always a performance adder. The 4th gen LT1/4 F-bodies came with a resonator. But 1LE models had the exact same intake but with the resonator removed and capped off.

I would need some dyno results before I believed the sound tube adds or removes power.
Old 2/16/16, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Even if that is correct, I don't see anything to convince me it applies to the sound tube.

Even parts called a resonator aren't always a performance adder. The 4th gen LT1/4 F-bodies came with a resonator. But 1LE models had the exact same intake but with the resonator removed and capped off.

I would need some dyno results before I believed the sound tube adds or removes power.
I concur!
Old 2/18/16, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering no one makes a performance intake system that includes a resonator... I'm guessing its a safe bet that it doesn't add any power. The sound tube is just that, a sound tube. Play with it if you want... You can either delete it completely or remove some of the foam filling making your cab quite louder. Most of the 2011 -2014 guys completely took it out, as did I, as it is somewhat considered an artificial sound comparable to the i4T playing sound through the speakers.
Old 2/18/16, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ohlang
You might want to reconsider removing it, I've read that removing it negatively impacts performance because it performs more than what people generally say it does. It's not some vestigial piece in a car.
No. This is 100% false when referencing the sound tube. The sound tube does absolutely nothing except pipe intake sound into the cabin, and it's an annoying sound at that.

Even so, your information regarding intake resonators seems thorough, but again, all but one aftermarket intake manufacturer do not have resonators in their tubes; Airaid is the only one I'm aware of that does, and it's only to actually limit the flow rate so you can have the CAI sound without having to add a tune for the increased flow.
Old 2/18/16, 10:26 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The hole in the firewall from the sound tube is perfect for routing additional wiring from the engine compartment to the interior. That's how the harness for my i-1 is routed.