GT

Prepare for 0-60 practice, and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/17, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prepare for 0-60 practice, and have some questions

I just got first of my stang last week. It is 2017 GT Premium with auto trans. So exciting! I will be practicing the 0-60 after 600 miles (as someone suggested).

And also it is my first sport car, so I hope I will not hurt it when I do the practice..

So I have some questions:

1. For my auto trans, when I do the 0-60, what is the exact difference between Sport+ and Track Mode?

2. Since there is no Launch Control in my car, can I release brake (hold the gas around like 3000 RPM) at the moment of starting? Does this method hurt the car?

3. If I use paddle shifter instead, is it possible (I am a beginner) that it is faster than auto shift?

Old 4/8/17, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on your new car!
I can't answer your 1st question - but as far as the 2nd - you're good to go!
Just know these trannys are built tough - so unless you plan on doing this every day - you have nothing to worry about.
As for your 3rd question - I'd guess the tranny programmers were thinking ahead of you on that - & will make sure their shift points take you down the line faster in auto mode - than you could ever hope to beat.
But then - you might find it more fun to try to best their programed time yourself.
Have fun - & report back with your results.
Hanaha!
The following users liked this post:
inter1908cg (4/10/17)
Old 4/9/17, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Standing on the brake while you build engine torque to 2500rpm or so is the best way to get a good 0-60 time. You don't want to do this very often though, since it puts extra strain on the torque converter. Every now and the it should be fine.

An I agree with NVR above, paddle shifters will probably not be faster.
inter1908cg (4/10/17)
Old 4/10/17, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A Newbe!

#1, Sport+ and Track modes in the Auto cars are essentially the same except Track mode disables the traction control nanny. This allows wheel spin on acceleration. Please remember a rear wheel drive car can be very unpredictable with 390rwhp. So practice in an open area.

#2, Don't think you'll hurt the car trying to do that, but with a stock torque converter I'm not sure it will let you rev that high without breaking the rear tires loose. You might do better just using Line Lock to warm the tires and then launch by flooring the pedal.

#3, The 6R80 is a pretty strong trans, it shifts well. But in stock mode it is not immediate shifting. You can't make it shift harder with the paddles. You can vary the shift points but the trans is pretty good by itself. Also there is sone time lag when using the paddles.

Have fun but be safe...
inter1908cg (4/10/17)
Old 4/10/17, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NVR2mchHP, 5.M0NSTER, Roadk9, thanks a lot for your guys' professional advices!

Today, after 1000 miles, I just used Sports+ for a while, I would say, this is the best driving experience ever I have. I was very excited about that.

I will be looking for a safe and wide road for 0-60 practice. I bet it will be another amazing time for me!

Around me, I am the only Chinese driving American Muscle.. But more and more Chinese in China are obsessed with American Pony cars.. Hope I can accumulate some experience from you, and for those guys.