GT

Opinion On Black Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/17, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with contrast. It's very subtle but on my wheels I had to order chrome lug nuts to give it SOME contrast. I like black and I highly think it depends on the color of the car. Before I ordered these wheels I was looking for sortof a gunmetal color similar to the Track Pack wheels I had on my 2014.

Everything out there now is too silver... like, just plain silver. I didn't want to spend the money on a custom color so I just went black.

Last edited by CoyotePremium13; 10/5/17 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10/4/17, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
I agree with contrast. It's very subtle but on my wheels I had to order chrome lug nuts to give it SOME contrast. I like black and I highly think it depends on the color of the car. Before I ordered these wheels I was looking for sortof a gunmetal color similar to the Track Pack wheels I had on my 2014.

I agree, and your S550 looks great by the way

No one is going to tell me that my car looked better when I bought it silver on silver then it does now.

Old 10/6/17, 04:34 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by MDMachiavelli
I agree completely. I'm not sure of your age but I'm 46 and I think it is mostly a generation thing.

I think the same thing when I see a car with black rims, oh there is a car with no hub caps.

But to each his own.
Originally Posted by motor12
When I bought my GT I got the PP and one reason was the beautiful gloss black wheels. As far as a generation thing you may be right. I finished high school in 1966 and most of the student cars in the parking lot had removed the hub caps to reveal the black rims. It gave the car more of a hot rod look. If you wait long enough everything comes back in style.
So age wise I am right between you two. The cars to drool over in my day were all setup with polished aluminum or chrome. But mostly the aluminum wheels. Mainly because those chrome ones were just too much work and easily rusted from underneath if not properly cared for. Black usually was the factory steel wheels which just did not have enough show.

Love all the choices today. But you can make a car very ugly with the wrong wheels. The key is all about getting the right blend to match car style and color. It can turn a humdrum car into a Wow look at that!

Last edited by shaneyusa; 10/6/17 at 04:42 AM.