GT

New warranty clutch at 19K miles, clunking GONE

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/18, 01:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New warranty clutch at 19K miles, clunking GONE

At just over 19,000 miles, my clutch pedal failed to return after depressing it while changing gears, passing another car. Apparently, something on the slave cylinder was binding, or somehow not allowing it to return to regular position. I drove home like a trucker, without using the clutch. I live out in the country, so not too hard.

The dealer found the friction surface completely missing from the forward side of the disk, though the rivets were still present. Oddly, no damage to the flywheel or pressure plate.

The clutch disk surface had completely disintegrated, much of which had somehow migrated to the cavity in the pressure plate assembly, hiding between the friction plate and the release "fingers". (How it got there is a huge mystery).

Anyway, the dealer replaced the clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate, slave and master cylinders, and a few nuts and bolts, along with the cruise control clutch sensor they broke during the repair. They said that because there were no signs of abuse, such as blue hot spots on the flywheel, no tire residue in the wheel wells, that it was covered under warranty. Otherwise, I would have had to pay for the repair, plus diagnosis.

Previously, I had the brought the car into the dealership 3 times, as early as 1,200 miles, for a clunking noise coming from the transmission when I released the clutch pedal. I was told that was NORMAL.

The clunking noise is now gone. I am still not sure how the disk itself was causing a clunking noise in what seemed like the transmission itself, but with a new clutch and the noise gone, I like the car a lot more now.

On a side note, they scratched the front bumper while using a power pusher to move the car out of the shop when it could not be driven. They are willing to cover the bodywork, just a little annoying...

Old 8/19/18, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I think service writers everywhere are taught to say "It's normal" on anything brought to them. Quite aggravating. Glad to hear they got you back up, and running.