GT

New here looking at GT’s

Old 2/4/19, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New here looking at GT’s

After 50 years of being practical I’m going to get the car I’ve always wanted. Looking at 2015-2018 GT Manual transmission. Any year that I should avoid? Anything’s to look out for? I’ve heard about possible engine problems in the
2018 from reading around. Any advice would be appreciated. Actually I did have another Mustang. I ordered a new Cobra II 302 4-speed with posi way back when. Thanks.
Old 2/6/19, 01:27 PM

Torsen or no Torsen rearend? I’m confused?
Old 2/6/19, 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Welcome to the site, and have fun with your "mid life crisis car" ha ha . . . I was in a very similar situation as you when I got myself my 2010 GT for my 50th birthday.

I'd suggest you read through some of the existing threads on the site to get a feel for what some of the issues are; you can probably skim the thread titles to decide which ones to read. Or maybe someone with more direct knowledge of these cars can summarize for you.

Generally it usually a good idea to avoid the first year of a major new model, so I'd try to avoid 2015. There was a significant redesign in 2018 so that depends on whether you like the new style or old.

Another big factor is whether you will only drive on the street, or whether you hope to get the car out on a road track. For the street, the "normal" GT will provide more performance than you will ever be able to use, safely. If you want to try a road track (which I highly recommend) then you might want to spend the extra money for the "track package." The torsen differential is for road track; it is a bit "freer" during hard cornering than the normal limited slip differential, which is fine for normal street driving and preferred for the drag strip.
Old 2/6/19, 08:46 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Welcome to the site, and have fun with your "mid life crisis car" ha ha . . . I was in a very similar situation as you when I got myself my 2010 GT for my 50th birthday.

I'd suggest you read through some of the existing threads on the site to get a feel for what some of the issues are; you can probably skim the thread titles to decide which ones to read. Or maybe someone with more direct knowledge of these cars can summarize for you.

Generally it usually a good idea to avoid the first year of a major new model, so I'd try to avoid 2015. There was a significant redesign in 2018 so that depends on whether you like the new style or old.

Another big factor is whether you will only drive on the street, or whether you hope to get the car out on a road track. For the street, the "normal" GT will provide more performance than you will ever be able to use, safely. If you want to try a road track (which I highly recommend) then you might want to spend the extra money for the "track package." The torsen differential is for road track; it is a bit "freer" during hard cornering than the normal limited slip differential, which is fine for normal street driving and preferred for the drag strip.
I agree on the first year of a model change. Even though the engine and tranny are basically an evolution of the 2011-2014. There are plenty of new stuff that can have problems.

The torsen also will have less maintenance as the other rearends have pads in there that will eventually require replacement. Even though I do not track, I would much rather have the Torsen rearend and do.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/6/19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 2/7/19, 09:55 AM

What about a Catch Can? I presently have one on my ‘16 Silverado which accumulates a lot of gunk. Which years have the Direct Injection? Also torn between Auto and Stick. Haven’t had a stick for years and I’m wondering if I would get tired of shifting if that’s possible. Thanks.
Old 2/7/19, 10:25 AM
GT Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Kleiss1
What about a Catch Can? I presently have one on my ‘16 Silverado which accumulates a lot of gunk. Which years have the Direct Injection? Also torn between Auto and Stick. Haven’t had a stick for years and I’m wondering if I would get tired of shifting if that’s possible. Thanks.
A oil catch can is always a good idea. Although I suspect 90% or more never have one installed on the 5.0. Starting in 2018 the 5.0 V8 has both direct injection and port fuel injection. I would suggest you test drive both the manual and 10 speed auto.
Old 2/8/19, 05:57 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2018GT
A oil catch can is always a good idea. Although I suspect 90% or more never have one installed on the 5.0. Starting in 2018 the 5.0 V8 has both direct injection and port fuel injection. I would suggest you test drive both the manual and 10 speed auto.

I would definitely add a oil separator/catch can to the passenger of a Coyote GT. I get about an ounce every 1000 miles with my '14. Ford performance even required one with my tune to keep the octane level high. I have the large can Moroso. Did tons of research when I chose and this was considered the best. I don't remember where I got it, but this is the one.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/moros...or-1112gt.html

As to the Manual vs Auto, test drive both and you will know which is right for you. I was dead set to get an auto. My kids were doing a sales job on me to get the manual. So I decided to drive both. Once I tried them it was no contest. The manual just is much more fun and just is a better experience when driving the car. Love my manual and would not have it any other way with a car like this. Now as to a daily driver, no way I want to go back to a clutch, auto is best here.
Old 2/8/19, 07:51 PM

Okay guys I found a new 2018 GT Manual transmission cloth seats Magnetic Grey which I wanted 17 miles. Sticker is $36k can get for $28k. I think my search is over. I still read bad things about the 2018 though. I’m I good? Big step for me. Thanks
Old 2/9/19, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Okay guys I found a new 2018 GT Manual transmission cloth seats Magnetic Grey which I wanted 17 miles. Sticker is $36k can get for $28k. I think my search is over. I still read bad things about the 2018 though. I’m I good? Big step for me. Thanks
Sounds like a very good deal. I have always preferred leather seats. My 2018 GT with a build date of early March of 2018 has been excellent so far with no unusual engine noises. If this is the car you want buy it and you will have years of Mustang fun.
Old 2/9/19, 04:45 PM
GT Member

Will the Mustang be daily driven or a fair weather car?
Old 2/9/19, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2018GT
Will the Mustang be daily driven or a fair weather car?
Probably more of a fair weather car. This is an early ‘18. Were the problems in the early or later models.
I really appreciate all the information from you guys.
Old 2/9/19, 05:06 PM
GT Member

I believe a lot of dealers are just trying to help their customers out even when no problems exist. There is no way to tell how many were actually problem cars. Just enjoy your new Mustang if you decide to buy it. Or look for a decent deal on a 2019. If it was me I would most likely look for a 2019. Just my opinion not trying to talk you out of the 2018. Like I said my 2018 has been good.
Old 2/9/19, 05:56 PM

What exactly was the issue? A top end or small block type of thing. I’m still reading a lot of different stuff?
I’m sure I’ll love this car. I’ve been waiting for a long time.
Old 2/9/19, 06:36 PM
GT Member

What exactly was the issue? A top end or small block type of thing. I’m still reading a lot of different stuff?
I’m sure I’ll love this car. I’ve been waiting for a long time.
Ford has replaced a few short and long blocks under warranty. How many no way to know but I suspect very few. The only actual damage I have seen is a few cases of mild cylinder wall scoring. Even then that does not mean the engine will ever fail. Like I said just enjoy your new Mustang. Here is a photo on my Ruby Red 2018.

The following users liked this post:
Rpinaiii (2/15/19)
Old 2/9/19, 07:50 PM

I’m driving Monday to look and drive this one. If I hear a the tick do I walk or go for it? This is a little farm town that sell mostly trucks and the car has been there for almost 7 months. It’s just a great deal to turn down. Thanks guys.
Old 2/10/19, 01:57 PM
GT Member

I’m driving Monday to look and drive this one. If I hear a the tick do I walk or go for it? This is a little farm town that sell mostly trucks and the car has been there for almost 7 months. It’s just a great deal to turn down. Thanks guys.
What is the dealers name where the Mustang is located?
Old 2/10/19, 02:29 PM

Where would I find the manufacture date on this? Is it on the sticker?
Old 2/10/19, 02:43 PM
GT Member

Where would I find the manufacture date on this? Is it on the sticker?
Yes it is on the data plate to the right as you open the drivers door. Will list the month and year. What is the dealers name where the Mustang is located?
Old 2/10/19, 02:51 PM

I rather not say where it is. Don’t want to jinx it.
Old 2/10/19, 02:59 PM
GT Member

I rather not say where it is. Don’t want to jinx it.
No problem I just wanted to see the photos on the dealers website. The date of manufacture is in the very upper left in the attached photo. Not a very good photo but it says DATE then the month and year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New here looking at GT’s