GT

new 2015 GT lost compression after 1 week

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/16 | 01:12 PM

new 2015 GT lost compression after 1 week

So bought a 'new' 2015 GT about a week ago. Went for it since it had the 0% APR for 72 months since it's been sitting on a dealer lot for the last year or so. Had about 900 miles but after sitting in a car lot for over a year i guess i am not surprised about that. Now i am at about 1,200 miles a week later and while idling in a parking lot the car just kinda stalled out and died. On restart it was rough, vibrated, and sounded more like a 4 cylinder. So i stopped it. Waited awhile. Tried again but then it was turning over but not catching.

Soooo it ended up getting toed back to the dealership (i was about 2 miles away luckily). when they got someone to look at it, pretty quickly they tossed me into a loaner vehicle and said they would be in touch. What the sales guy told me was that one cylinder had low compression, but i am guessing that was a sugar coated summary. I would think that just one cylinder with low compression wouldn't stop a V8 from starting. I am guessing more like a couple cylinders with compression really low.

I am in the waiting game and trying to avoid calling up the service manager every day to ask for updates (i want to everyone to stay happy and calm until we potentially get to a point where anger needs to happen) so i figured i would throw something on here to just kill some time and annoy people other than the service manager ha.

so feel free to either post things of doom and gloom to make me worry even more, or post uplifting positive things to make me think that everything will be alright for my Pony. I mean it was the last 'new' 2015 Mustang GT in the western ohio area, and it was just about exactly what i was looking for. manual, premium package, 20" rims, 355 differential, and in blue. For that first week i really enjoyed driving it ha.
Old 6/6/16 | 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I suppose it would depend on why there is low compression. Low compression on a cylinder can just be an effect of a larger issue, and the dealer may not know yet until a full tearsdown is completed.
Old 6/6/16 | 01:42 PM

oh yes i realize. My fear is how long this might drag out. Since it seemed to suddenly happen, and hasnt really been able to start since i am hoping it something that is fairly easy to diagnose.
Old 6/13/16 | 02:11 PM

I might be wrong (don't think so tho) but the PP has 19" wheels and a 373 gear. However, this has nothing to do with your problem.
Old 6/13/16 | 02:42 PM

this actually isnt the PP. Its a premium with options. One was the option gearing which is around 350 (inbetween base and PP). For the wheels, most of the optional wheels are 19" but there was one 20" option

so update here is that the valve (not sure exhaust or intake) on the #8 cylinder broke off and ended up punching a hole through the piston head. I am an engineer so i wish they would let me have a picture of it lol. So anyway, looks like i am getting a new motor.
The following users liked this post:
legirons (6/13/16)
Old 6/17/16 | 10:51 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ohionab
this actually isnt the PP. Its a premium with options. One was the option gearing which is around 350 (inbetween base and PP). For the wheels, most of the optional wheels are 19" but there was one 20" option

so update here is that the valve (not sure exhaust or intake) on the #8 cylinder broke off and ended up punching a hole through the piston head. I am an engineer so i wish they would let me have a picture of it lol. So anyway, looks like i am getting a new motor.
That should be a good thing. I am guessing that the 900 mi your car had on it at purchase, may have had a lot to do with the engine failure. Good luck.

Last edited by rider; 6/17/16 at 10:53 AM.