How do you drive your Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/16, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by LQQK
Haha, boom. I think it's clear what your preference is

Originally Posted by ohlang
First of all you're a real douche. I called you a wanna be racer.
Yeah, you did, didn't you? And I haven't called you any names yet? Wow, how rude OF ME (sarcasm)

I've done nothing but respect manual drivers for their skills if worthy of praise.
You just contradicted yourself in the same post, I... I don't know why I bother...

I gave my answer to the GT350 and Camaro track edition cars, because to put in a better automatic transmission would be too expensive and Mustang owners and so called car enthusiast like to track and prefer manuals anyways, it would be a marketing disaster to produce them with anything else but a manual although there will be probably just as many people who would buy an automatic version.
When a car cost $50k do you think an extra $1k for an auto would make a bit of difference? Not even close. The second part of the paragraph above is spot on. Those cars are made for enthusiasts, and that's my point in the first place. Enthusiasts don't drive Autos. But people like you do.

I didn't fire the first shot
In this little exchange with me you did. You called me a wanna be racer, didn't you?

I am not trying to disrespect other Auto drivers out there. Many people have good reasons to drive an auto. It's just you. So we're clear.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/23/16 at 06:03 PM.
Old 6/23/16, 05:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First of all you're a real douche. I called you a wanna be racer. Making fun of automatic transmissions is not ribbing, it's being a *****. Unless you're a professional race car driver you haven't earn to right to do it. I've done nothing but respect manual drivers for their skills if worthy of praise. My mention of Indy car drivers is that they don't work a clutch and they are racers. Go bash them for simplifying their sport. The only reason I can think of, is for that amount of speed and turns, it's only possible to do it with a manual clutch. If that's the case then I ask you what form of transmission in it's ultimate form is superior. I never gave the impression that I was better than you with a manual, if fact I assumed you were (read my last post again), so why you would make the related comments you did is beyond me. I was confused about clutch dropping, so you got me there, maybe I I'm confused about making the car chirp when shifting from 1-2, 2-3, or so forth, but every up-shift begins with a lot more pull and significant amount of tire spin, so if that doesn't produce chirping I don't know what does and I wouldn't know the point of it in racing. Paddles don't get boring, it's the manual aspect of it, I thought I was abundantly clear when I added that if you added a manual clutch, it would suck even worse for me. I gave my answer to the GT350 and Camaro track edition cars, because to put in a better automatic transmission would be too expensive and Mustang owners and so called car enthusiast like to track and prefer manuals anyways, it would be a marketing disaster to produce them with anything else but a manual although there will be probably just as many people who would buy an automatic version. About a road course, I don't know, my auto could take you in a manual. Remember, I didn't fire the first shot, you wanna be racers did. If you keep replying and making more down putting remarks, then I'll just keep firing back, because once more you're ****** and douches. Just say you prefer manuals over automatics and we're live peaceably together. And thanks to those who did and/or provided input to my initial question.
I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW IT!!!! It is your time of the month!!!
Old 6/23/16, 06:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
You just contradicted yourself in the same post, I... I don't know why I bother...
contradicted myself??? I trashed you in retaliation, I didn't trash race drivers and those who could shift like professional racers.

When a car cost $50k do you think an extra $1k for an auto would make a bit of difference? Not even close. The second part of the paragraph above is spot on. Those cars are made for enthusiasts, and that's my point in the first place. Enthusiasts don't drive Autos. People like you do.
I wasn't talking about the autos that Ford currently has in their mainstream cars, I'm talking about road course, super car grade automatic transmissions. I called them "so called", implying I don't agree with many of them giving themselves this title.

In this little exchange with me you did. You called me a wanna be racer, didn't you?
yes I did.

I am not trying to disrespect other Auto drivers out there. Many people have good reasons to drive an auto. It's just you. So we're clear.
you disrespected auto drivers, you and others, and especially that other idiot troll. I think he's some kid who doesn't even own a Mustang. Good reasons aren't limited to having a bum leg, can't drive a stick, only likes to steer, being a woman and any other down putting reasons. My main reason is, it gets boring. It's boring to me, not for you.

Last edited by ohlang; 6/23/16 at 06:13 PM.
Old 6/23/16, 08:12 PM
Banned

contradicted myself??? I trashed you in retaliation, I didn't trash race drivers and those who could shift like professional racers.
To be fair i didn't trash you. I asked you some reasonable questions about missing certain aspects of driving a manual like doing clutch drops. And you didn't even get that, which I called you out on, and now you're just oh so hurt and acting like a little

yes I did.
Hmm, and I still have not sank to you level. Perhaps I should, but I'm worried it will hurt your feelings enough to go do something to yourself.
you disrespected auto drivers, you and others, and especially that other idiot troll. I think he's some kid who doesn't even own a Mustang. Good reasons aren't limited to having a bum leg, can't drive a stick, only likes to steer, being a woman and any other down putting reasons. My main reason is, it gets boring. It's boring to me, not for you.
Well, if you want I'm sure GravyDog or even my wife can teach you how to properly drive a stick shift.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/23/16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 6/23/16, 10:01 PM

To be fair i didn't trash you. I asked you some reasonable questions about missing certain aspects of driving a manual like doing clutch drops. And you didn't even get that, which I called you out on, and now you're just oh so hurt and acting like a little
What are you like a senior? have dementia? alzheimer's? Let me quote some of the words, phrases, sentences you used, "autotragic", "Racing isn't about who pushes buttons better", "Do you really think pulling a paddle is a experience which somehow connects you to the road?" You're intentions were to be insulting. Please don't try to paint yourself to be innocent. You throw rocks at me, I'll throw them back.

Hmm, and I still have not sank to you level. Perhaps I should, but I'm worried it will hurt your feelings enough to go do something to yourself.
I don't know, considering your heavy use of emojis, I wouldn've pegged you to be little girl. Fragile self-esteem at that young age, you be careful now.

Well, if you want I'm sure GravyDog or even my wife can teach you how to properly drive a stick shift.
Sure, send them over, I won't mind either of them showing me how they handle a stick
Old 6/24/16, 05:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
This is really shocking. I can't believe where this thread ended up.
The following users liked this post:
mhazelwd (6/27/16)
Old 6/24/16, 06:16 AM
Banned

Sure, send them over, I won't mind either of them showing me how they handle a stick
And there it is! The truth finally comes out. Your reason for driving an auto is because you can't drive a manual. See, if you would have just admitted that in the first place you would have saved yourself all the embarrassment.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/24/16 at 06:19 AM.
Old 6/24/16, 06:19 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
This is really shocking. I can't believe where this thread ended up.

A simple question turned into a d!ck measuring contest. I'll never understand why there has to be such an argument between the auto and manual transmission people.
Kelly Sloan (7/16/17)
Old 6/24/16, 08:10 AM

And there it is! The truth finally comes out. Your reason for driving an auto is because you can't drive a manual. See, if you would have just admitted that in the first place you would have saved yourself all the embarrassment.
I see that last comment kind of went over your head, but I can drive a stick, not with all the bells and whistles but even if I did, I've already explained at least a couple of times, the manual aspect of it gets boring and tedious to me. It might bring you enjoyment but it does nothing for me. I enjoy the pull and acceleration and passing other cars, pretty base things I know but that's my enjoyment and If I can improve myself or my car to achieve those things better, that's what I'll do. I can accept a faster car beating me, but **** if a Camaro SS dodge SRT or some other close competitor embarrasses me and my car because I'm not on top of my shift game. Lets end this and agree to disagree about transmission preferences. We can talk about how one is better than other without resorting to calling someone a girl, a wife, person who can't drive because they are down putting comments. Don't put down my car man.
Old 6/24/16, 08:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
While not a mustang, I've owned two cars that were autos in my 26 years of driving. This will sound weird but I had trouble driving them. The auto is guessing based on your gas pedal input, what you want it to do. When you drive auto you have to decide early and stick to it. Manual allows you to change your mink at any point. I have driven a car with paddles after a serious hockey injury. I bought the car after a severe knee injury. I liked the paddles because it was a close to a manual. I think it's a great compromise as long as the auto in manual mode doesn't shift automatically if you don't shift up or down. Yes, I'm trying to get this thread back on track.
Old 6/24/16, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
While not a mustang, I've owned two cars that were autos in my 26 years of driving. This will sound weird but I had trouble driving them. The auto is guessing based on your gas pedal input, what you want it to do. When you drive auto you have to decide early and stick to it. Manual allows you to change your mink at any point. I have driven a car with paddles after a serious hockey injury. I bought the car after a severe knee injury. I liked the paddles because it was a close to a manual. I think it's a great compromise as long as the auto in manual mode doesn't shift automatically if you don't shift up or down. Yes, I'm trying to get this thread back on track.
Thanks for the comment, I don't know if this is standard on all automatics with paddle shifters, but there's usually a fully manual shift mode available that will not down shift or upshift unless you provide the input. Adding to that I like Ford's decision to downshift automatically for you if your car enters a speed too low for the current gear you're in but failed to include the upshift part of that. That would've provided the driver the best of both world.
Old 6/24/16, 09:40 AM

I've contacted the performance shop that did my initial tune and programmed my shift points to change the shift points again. What I'm asking for is going to make for real aggressive acceleration at lower pedal input. I don't know the consequences it'll have on my transmission, if he doesn't first tell me it's not safe for the car, but here is what I'm asking for.

-At low throttle upshift to highest safe gear
-At about 1/4 throttle, downshift to the 2nd lowest gear allowed
-At a little under 1/2 throttle, downshift to the lowest gear allowed

Any inputs on how this might affect my transmission for bad?
Old 6/24/16, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
This will sound weird but I had trouble driving them. The auto is guessing based on your gas pedal input, what you want it to do. When you drive auto you have to decide early and stick to it. Manual allows you to change your mink at any point. I have driven a car with paddles after a serious hockey injury. I bought the car after a severe knee injury. I liked the paddles because it was a close to a manual. I think it's a great compromise as long as the auto in manual mode doesn't shift automatically if you don't shift up or down.
This particular disadvantage to an automatic transmission is addressed by having more gears closer together. I'm interested in that 10 speed auto coming out shortly for this reason.
Old 6/24/16, 10:20 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I was forced by my parents to learn to drive on a manual first. No different than how they taught me to swim by throwing me in the deep end. To me they were always the same thing (auto and manual) as your butt is sitting in a car and operating a vehicle.

However, as I've gotten older, (middle aged) I have no desire to shift anymore. Call me old, lazy. It's (auto) just so much easier with everyday life and traffic. Plus, it's easier to grope my wife with a free hand.
TrikPonyGirl (8/26/16)
Old 6/24/16, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I
Plus, it's easier to grope my wife with a free hand.
I love it! It is easier with an auto. I have to plan ahead and either skip shift or settle for less acceleration when this is happening

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
omg lol...
my dad taught me how to drive a stick when i was 9, "it's a good skill to learn!"
lol , I was a natural (of course)
... I have an automatic Stang which is fine since its my DD.
(& automatics are better now than they have ever been, aren't they?)
&, most importantly, I can make the boys mad when I embarrass them lol
I will teach my daughter when she is old enough. She will be a better driver than any boy around.
Old 6/24/16, 05:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I was forced by my parents to learn to drive on a manual first. No different than how they taught me to swim by throwing me in the deep end. To me they were always the same thing (auto and manual) as your butt is sitting in a car and operating a vehicle.

However, as I've gotten older, (middle aged) I have no desire to shift anymore. Call me old, lazy. It's (auto) just so much easier with everyday life and traffic. Plus, it's easier to grope my wife with a free hand.
Lol. My parents taught me to drive stick first too. I didn't drive an automatic till I had been driving for 10 years. My pops worked his way through school as a mechanic. He believed you were buying old under powered cars, they had to be manual. Manual transmissions break less often and are cheaper to repair. Lol, I learned manual because my family is cheap, not because of performance. As far as the free hand, that's gotten many of us in trouble.
Old 8/26/16, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't we all just get along? (ha!) I have a manual and an automatic, and I can assure you that my feet (broken 4 times between them) appreciate not having to engage a clutch. I say drive what you want how you want, and don't let anybody's machismo make you feel guilty. Haters gonna hate.

But to speak to your original post, I'm testing out the differences in the paddle shifters in my 2017 Mustang versus my 2016 Maxima. Waaaaay different cars and how they respond. (Maxima has 300hp, and I feel like that's a song for a family car). I don't even fool with the paddle shifters in the Maxima because I just don't care that much and it's my daily driver. But I had the Mustang out this afternoon on some winding back roads, and I just love the sound and the feel of the car when I control the shifts! Enjoy your automatic!
Old 8/26/16, 10:59 PM
GT Member

I was bored so I decided to see what was being said in this thread. OMG, it's a crap slinging contest. So after it all died down, I haven't figured out why someone who is dedicated to driving manual trans cars and thinks that is really driving would want to comment on a thread about how folks are driving their automatics.

That makes no sense to me.....
Old 8/27/16, 05:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mhazelwd
I will let you know. This is my first automatic and it was a dog until I changed it with my tuner. This is some advice I have found:
Replacing a Mustang's stock rear gears with a higher ratio will give you quicker acceleration, greatly improving your 60 foot times--depending on what ratio you choose
A ratio of 3.55 will get you down the drag strip quicker than most stock ratios, but 3.73s or 4.10s are an even greater improvement and so on
Going with too extreme a gear ratio can result in lost traction and reduced top speeds, depending on your overall setup
For a street car that might also see the track, 3.55s, 3.73s and 4.10s gears are recommended, with 4.10s being the gear of choice for automatic transmissions

On a stock car or mildly modified late model Mustang with common bolt-ons I personally recommend 4.10 gears. 4.10s will give your car more pep, with negligible impact on your vehicle's drivability. Another popular choice is 3.73 gears, but the significant performance increase of the 4.10 gears far outweighs the minute gas tank penalty.

Also, my 460 rwhp supercharged Mach1 had 4:10 gears. That was not over-geared, it was "just right" .
If we're comparing notes here my 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Whippled Mach 1 had 3.73's. That car also had 4.30's at one point. So I know all about the gearing involved.

The 2011+ cars have more aggressive gearing in the transmissions than the Mach 1's ever had and 4.10's would be the same as running a 5.xx gear in the Mach 1's. No one did that now did they? Don't be one of those guys that make changes based on other year cars.

On the 2015 autos with 3.15's you cannot just change gears anymore since the housing is to small. You have to buy a whole new housing which is $900+ and then you must buy the Whipple flare tool to make the appropriate changes in the BCM, not the PCM like in previous years. But I assume you knew that.

Last edited by GrabberBlue5.0; 8/27/16 at 05:19 AM.
Old 8/27/16, 05:40 PM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I went from a 13 manual to a 16 auto, I sure do miss the manual but I drive in stop and go to and from work so the auto is nice. I haven't broken out the measuring tape yet but I think I lost an inch.

Quick Reply: How do you drive your Automatic?