GT

16 GT

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/16, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 GT

Hello everyone. Just looking for some information from some people that know more than I do. My wife's 16 GT is in the shop for the 2nd time for a CEL with 3.5k Miles.

The first time they were puzzled by the code and symptoms (basically running like crap and no power) They claimed that Ford wanted them to change the oil that something was clogging the Phaser. First off all I was like this guy is joking and blowing smoke making star trek jokes. But he was for real. So like any good nerd I look it up and it seems legit. Except the part about changing the oil. If it had some crap in the oil that early enough to clog the phaser this didn't look good.

Needless to say the light cleared and we went on about our business. We knew this wasn't over though.

So a week later here we are and to the surprise of no one it's back with the same code and issue. Now they are now replacing the driver side cam phaser because it's misfiring.

So my question is, does this seem legit? It still smells fishy to me, but I'm no expert.

The dealership has been great as far as customer service and providing a rental. Despite the fact that we didn't purchase there, she wanted the blackout package and a stick so we had to go find it. I just feel like we aren't getting the whole story especially since it's brand new and she wants to keep it longer than warranty.

TLDR; CEL twice for CAM Phaser issues.

Last edited by Soonersti; 6/13/16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 6/13/16, 02:31 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Sounds like this issue is in the debug stage...(A Computer programmer's perspective) Ford is probably is still trying to locate the real problem. They have found some things that correct the problem, but likely not the full issue. Good luck, hope they get this solved for you and any others.
Old 6/13/16, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Sounds like this issue is in the debug stage...(A Computer programmer's perspective) Ford is probably is still trying to locate the real problem. They have found some things that correct the problem, but likely not the full issue. Good luck, hope they get this solved for you and any others.
Thanks for the reply. As a troubleshooter I can of course relate to this. I just don't want to be bringing it back again next week because that will give us a bad taste in our mouth for this car for the long haul.

I guess what I'm curious about is if this issue is occurring this early in the motors life what other damage could it be causing? Everything about the phaser I've read it is not computer related but a mechanical part.

Last edited by Soonersti; 6/13/16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 6/28/16, 08:41 PM
GT Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like the luck of the draw. Every car they make is an assembly of several hundred individual components. They are sourced from @150 different manufacturers. If they all have supplied 99.9% good components there are still going to be cars that have something that is going to fail. The best thing to happen in that case is for it to fail right away. Good luck with the phaser as it is a mechanical part that is easily replaced.