Ecoboost

No 5.0 For Me - I'd Rather Have the EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/14, 03:51 PM
TMS Staff

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
No 5.0 For Me - I'd Rather Have the EcoBoost

The folks around the office and the folks around the Internet have been giving opinions about the new EcoBoost Mustang ever since it was unveiled to the public almost a year ago. Everyone thought it was the death knell of the Mustang -- the death knell of the sports car. How could a 2.3L four-cylinder turbocharged engine be as good as a good old-fashioned V8. Guess what: it is.

I’m going to first say that all fake sounds are stupid. I'd rather have a good exhaust noise any day. These, though, didn't bother me. Why? Because the car is amazing. Because of the light engine up front, the car dances through the turns. I had all the sport settings on, the track mode on, and this thing handles like a beast ... so much so that I was chasing down an M4 with this little pony.

I drove both the EcoBoost and the V8 GT. This might surprise you, but I’d have the EcoBoost.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 10/3/14, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How long have you worked for Ford? HAHAHAHA
Old 10/3/14, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well....here it is, manufacturers and media are trying to push turbo-4 bangers as the "one to get" marketing ploy. With enough momentum and enough people to accept this as truth, the manufacturers will stop development of updates and new V8 engines, basically forcing to replace the V8 with powerful small 4-6 cylinder engines. And then the V8 enthusiasts will be overshadowed by the amount of turbo-4 fans.
Nothing new of course, this happened many times over the years, but seams like the cycle is coming over again to switch to efficient powerful smaller engines, tho they will never get the power of what we have now.

I bet its going to be very interesting around 2018 when new Camaro, and new Challenger come with their own new turbo-4 engines.
Old 10/3/14, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll somewhat agree about the comment never having as much power as the v8's. Yet, you have plenty of cars on the market, like the GT-R(which is awd,I'll give ya that) which are 6cyl turbos that can whoop plenty of v8's. It's all how they companies make the engines and drivetrains. These new EB mustangs are quick.
Old 10/3/14, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No half motor for me. V8 all the way.

Last edited by kd4gij; 10/3/14 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10/3/14, 05:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Let me know how my rear end looks as I effortlessly pass you on the road.

Lol jk
Old 10/3/14, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MDkid92
I'll somewhat agree about the comment never having as much power as the v8's. Yet, you have plenty of cars on the market, like the GT-R(which is awd,I'll give ya that) which are 6cyl turbos that can whoop plenty of v8's. It's all how they companies make the engines and drivetrains. These new EB mustangs are quick.
Got to look at the "affordable" V8 cars. GT-R is a 100K car, it can have any sophisticated engine and produce ridiculous amount of power. at the same time cars with a V8 within 30-40 even 50K mark, manufacturers wont be able to produce reliable turbo engines with power of a NA V8 engine, without going to the extreme to match the power level, for them it has to last and be reliable, so they wont push them to extreme, thus power most likely for them will never go beyond 400hp from factory in the near future. Most Turbo-4-bangers hover around 280-350, turbo 6 kind of is very limited at this given moment from manufacturers.
Old 10/4/14, 12:38 AM
Bullitt Member

As someone that's had two V8 Mustangs in my life I will agree that there's nothing like the sound and power of a V8 engine. Passing is effortless and of course the additional torque off the one throws you into the back of your seat. So for Mustang I think there will be a place for the V8 for many years to come. I'm choosing the Ecoboost at this time in my life for several reasons. It will be fast enough, and perform better than my older Fox bodied models. The interior is incredibly well done and all the new tech is impressive. Of course it will get great gas mileage and it just looks so **** sexy to me lol. I would get the V8 if I could afford it but it's just not in the cards for me at this time in my life. I think the Ecoboost is a great alternative.
Old 10/4/14, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Let me know how my rear end looks as I effortlessly pass you on the road. Lol jk
ha! Yesss
Old 10/4/14, 07:07 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

I enjoy a V8 (Love my GT). But my other car is a MS3. A turbo four can be a blast. Not all 4's are built to be economy cars. Do you remember the '93 Lotus Esprit? (2.2L inline 4). Do you remember the '93 Mustang GT? Do you honestly believe that that any V8 Mustang of its time would see anything but taillights of the Lotus? (Hint: LX 0-60 times were 6.1-6.2 seconds. Lotus turbo 4.6 seconds) In 96 the Lotus S4S hit 0-6 in 4.3 seconds. Which magazine test of the new 2015 GT recorded a 0-60 time of less than 4.3 seconds?

I'll concede that most I-4 designs have economy in mind, with a few exceptions. (The WRX, the Evo, the MS3, the GSX-1300R, the old Lotus Esprit) But, that could change. Weight is becoming a factor--perhaps the foremost factor in performance, as well as in fuel economy. I have not been a huge fan of the GT500--no offense to owners of the car, nor of the new Challenger Hellcat. Yes the power is impressive, but with a 57/43 weight distribution, neither car is the vehicle for me. ( Make an I-4 with with that kind of power and the weight distribution looks much different.)

I-4's are quite capable of generating that kind (GT500, Hellcat) of power. The Mountune turbo 4 that powers the Fiesta GRC is basically a built Ford 2.0 Duratec that is boosted to 600-HP. Of course it is a purpose built car--with all wheel drive. (0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 0-90 in 3.5, faster than a Bugatti Veyron). According to the engine builders, this is not the peak tune. The motor can be tweaked to 900-HP. Does anyone recall the 2013 Jaguar prototype with the Cosworth 1.6L punching out 500-HP? There are several iterations of forced induction in-line four cylinders generating 300-HP/L.

As manufacturers move toward weight reduction, (and hopefully, better balance and handling) it is quite possible that smaller motors with forced induction will be the norm. Even if you are a fan of big displacement V8's you have to recognize weight and size as a factor in what gets put under the hood. CAFE, crumple zones, taxes (yes, other countries have taxes based on displacement) makes it harder for all manufacturers (not just Ford), to ignore the possibilities of a performance offering other than a V8.

Lighter doesn't require as much power to deliver the same performance, of course lighter with lots of horsepower is better. Unless it is just bat sh*t crazy: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...-you-true-fear
Old 10/4/14, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's not that I don't like the eco-boost 4. I believe Ford is charging to much money for it, they could have moved up to the 2.7 eco-boost 6 that puts out 325 hp and 375 torque. Ford is charging to much money for the eco 4, bottom line!!!

Last edited by Rodsmustang; 10/5/14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10/5/14, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Enjoy your EB 4 banger. I'll enjoy my V8. God Bless America.
Old 10/5/14, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Someone has to buy the Eco Boost, just glad it's not me !! I will however test drive one out of curiosity. Scott
Old 10/5/14, 09:47 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by kd4gij
No half motor for me. V8 all the way.
You said it Marty. An "eco boost" Mustang?!?
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 10/5/14, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I am **NEVER** clicking the links to the stories again.

Why?

THERE WAS ONLY ONE LINE LEFT TO READ.

I will not support that. I'm done with your 'stories', TMS staff. You guys need to understand 'teasing'.
Old 10/6/14, 06:13 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I4 is the new V6 BASE, not a V8 replacement.
(lets get real here, the V6 is now for rentals and fleets)

It's just got a better starting point for going fast.
It even sounds better when you say its turbocharged.

2 great engines in the lineup, but I wouldn't be comparing them.
Chasing down M4s doesn't mean getting past them.
Old 10/6/14, 07:22 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
Got to look at the "affordable" V8 cars. GT-R is a 100K car, it can have any sophisticated engine and produce ridiculous amount of power. at the same time cars with a V8 within 30-40 even 50K mark, manufacturers wont be able to produce reliable turbo engines with power of a NA V8 engine, without going to the extreme to match the power level, for them it has to last and be reliable, so they wont push them to extreme, thus power most likely for them will never go beyond 400hp from factory in the near future. Most Turbo-4-bangers hover around 280-350, turbo 6 kind of is very limited at this given moment from manufacturers.
I remember watching Neon SRT4's beat the crap out of Mustangs at the drag strip. Sure it takes some money to do it, but these little EB4 are going to quick.

Will I replace my 5.0 for one, not at the moment. But I may in the future when I just want a cruiser.
Old 10/6/14, 07:51 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone004
I remember watching Neon SRT4's beat the crap out of Mustangs at the drag strip. Sure it takes some money to do it, but these little EB4 are going to quick.

Will I replace my 5.0 for one, not at the moment. But I may in the future when I just want a cruiser.
You can make anything fast for a price.
The question is, what can it take and for how long till it pops?
Old 10/6/14, 08:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by brc028
How long have you worked for Ford? HAHAHAHA
LMAO!!
Old 10/6/14, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

and this thing handles like a beast
So it kicked you off, and then stomped on you and sent you to the hospital? Online Journalists really need to stop using this phrase. It's old, tired, and beat to death, and is really quite lazy and non-descriptive.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 10/6/14 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: No 5.0 For Me - I'd Rather Have the EcoBoost