Ecoboost

Going from Coyote to Ecoboost?

Old 8/31/16, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from Coyote to Ecoboost?

I bought my first GT back in December and love it. I've upgraded the suspension, wheels/tires, added a Borla exhaust and had the resonators replaced with straight pipes. Also added the RTR stripes. Stays very very clean and initially was a garage queen going to a few car shows here and there since I worked from home. Runs and sounds great. Runs really really great. Dyno'd close to 400hp even with the speed limiter basically bone stock...tester said it was one of the best stock dynos he had seen in quite a while.

Work has changed now I have an 1.25 hour one-way commute and while I still love driving it I hate that it's a DD. Had my first curb rash the other day and almost cried.

So yesterday my AC went out and made an awful noise for about 30 secs then stopped blowing cold air completely. I will have it looked at but if it is my compressor it's going to be a $1000+ cost to repair more than likely.

So I've been looking at newer models but wife says no way to new model GT pricing. Only way to keep payment near same is to consider 15' ecoboost. I really LOVE the body style but seriously worried about going from a strong GT coyote to the 4 cylinder turbo. Although I do read there are great gains from a good tune and CAI. I found a beautiful one near me for a great price and I guess I need to drive it. Having a warranty is also very appealing, especially in light of the recent AC problems I'm having.

Has anyone recently gone from a coyote 5.0 to the ecoboost and been pleasantly surprised?

Here is what I am looking at:

Here is mine:

Old 8/31/16, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
You have a beautiful car. I think you'll be disappointed with the eb honestly coming from 400rwhp fast revving NA V8.

I hear you on not being a good DD, and I don't know your situation, but would it be possible to get a cheap beater for DD and keep the GT for the weekends?
Old 8/31/16, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
If you really enjoy your 2012 with the Borlas you will absolutely hate the sound of the eco-boost with aftermarket mufflers. In addition, the lack of torque and power will be solely missed!
IMHO The 2011-2012 Mustang GT is the best looking mustang since the 2003 cobra. I am not personally a big fan of the S550 looks.
I understand in the end you are going to do what is necessary. Make a wise choice!
Old 8/31/16, 08:28 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Unless you really need the fuel economy of the EB, I'd keep the Coyote.
Old 8/31/16, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The EB cars can easily be built up to match a coyote's power (N/A coyote that is). That said, I'd fix your car and, as previously mentioned, get a beater if you. Maybe a Ranger regular cab so it's semi useful and much better on gas.
Old 9/2/16, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it, and after a 14000 mile trip I'm extremely happy that I traded my in 14 GT Premium for it. Route 101 N out of San Fran was a trip. I felt a confidence going through those high speed curves that I never felt in my 14. And this car is bad on the street also.
Not as fast on the track, but a quick street car.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t377667/

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 9/12/16 at 08:42 PM.
Old 9/2/16, 04:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I miss the sound the most. Just can't beat the sound. I love the ride and inside of my ecoboost! It's lacking in power coming from the coyote. It's still a blast to drive. It's an excellent DD. Just remember if you want the MPGs stay out of boost lol. I will be getting a GT in the s550 I really hope they bring back the Mach 1.
Old 9/21/16, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Little late to post. However I will add this, got rid a of 12 5.0 after first child. Not a good family car. Mistake. I had that thing at a good price point for me but the wife complained. Now the kid is 3 1/2 and I did get another stang but got an 07. I am happy but would prefer the 12 5.0. It was just a little faster. If you have some stock parts get them back on perhaps a little friendlier for extended cruising. I assume you live in a snowy climate given the state of the trees. You get door dings wheel rash and everything else on the EB and won't feel any better when that happens. From looking at used car prices the ecoboost values drop pretty good while the 5.0's hold some value. I agree with the beater comment if you can swing that or the reality is maybe an Focus ST will provide the itch for fun while being a better DD especially in the cold climes. Blizzaks do wonders for those things. I or anyone else will guarantee you will miss the v8. Consider the power gain with the ac delete. $80
Old 9/21/16, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Just wanted to add when I got 12 it had a $3500 rebate. Haven't seen that since. Bone stock with 3.73's was like 25.7 before taxes etc. If your raises don't keep up with ford's the gt may be unobtainable again when you realized you should have kept it a year or so from now.
Old 9/23/16, 03:41 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Also a little late to the party, but I know I just could not go without that V8 sound. And yes the EB will be quick, but it is still not a V8, even a N/A V8 has a different power feel than a 4 banger can create. If economy is the reason for the EB then at least you will get to keep the Stang, but if you think it will fill the void, it won't.

Keep the V8.
Old 9/23/16, 06:56 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are willing to spend some time looking you can find some fun DD vehicles out there. It took me a few months, but I ended up finding a '01 v6 vert that had 36K miles a couple years ago for 5500. The queen can stay in the garage until weekends and nice days and I use the '01 for commuting.

There are older sixers out there in great shape, but it takes some digging. A few treat there sixers well and don't drive them much and also avoid winters. But, they don't hold their value. All of this combines to make the good finds for the DD.
Old 9/23/16, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I went from 3.7 to 5.0 recently and I don't see any noticeable change in gas mileage, maybe 2-3 bucks more for 400 miles on the highway. I would buy a 4cyl beater for DD, but not the EB. Hearing a muscle car who sounds like a japanese ricer makes me grin at best.
Old 9/23/16, 12:24 PM
GT Member

No, the Ecoboost does not have the sound of a 5.0 but is a better engine than V6 in the 2007 and 2010 Mustangs that I owned. I can accelerate a lot faster and get way better gas mileage. I have gotten up to 34 mpg on long trips. The best way to put it when it comes to gas mileage, with my previous Mustangs, if I filled up before Georgetown, KY, I could not make it to my home in Milton, GA on that tank. I can now make it from Springfield, OH to Milton, GA in one tank. Also it does not matter which engine you get, the current Mustang is going to put a smile on your face and a lot of people looking at your Mustang also.
The following users liked this post:
Kotenukimen (9/23/16)
Old 9/23/16, 12:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
In the end, buy what makes you happy. You do not have to justify your purchase to anyone else, unless you have a wife. I've never understood why some V8 guys will bash the EB and V6 guys, and I've also never understood why some of the EB and V6 guys almost seem to yearn for acceptance from the V8 guys. Not saying you fit this category, but a lot of people do.
Old 9/23/16, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
In the end, buy what makes you happy. You do not have to justify your purchase to anyone else, unless you have a wife. I've never understood why some V8 guys will bash the EB and V6 guys, and I've also never understood why some of the EB and V6 guys almost seem to yearn for acceptance from the V8 guys. Not saying you fit this category, but a lot of people do.

Totally agree with you. I have had a 3.7 V6 for 4 years and had a lot of fun with it, almost as much as my new 5.0.

I am not bashing on EB, I just don't like the sound, but I respect those who buy one.
Old 9/23/16, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The EB with a tune feels like it pulls like my GT did. I'm with you on the sound. That's why I'm gonna keep my exhaust stock except for a catted down pipe. Might not be practical as far as getting every hp out of a full exhaust. But it is a turbo four cylinder not a v8.
Old 9/23/16, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

We are all jumping in late and the OP hasn't updated the thread about his decision. After reading the OP's post again I am unsure if he was considering trade because he didn't want to further damage the car, has fear that the a/c going is only the beginning of costly out of warranty repairs, maybe it is even driving the lowered car with a loud exhaust 3hrs. is getting to be a bother. It appears that he went to look at new GT's but was priced out and is reaching out to the community to have someone help him rationalize the trade. I will no way knock the v6 or ecoboost. But he the 5.0 now and will definately be missing something afterwards. The question is how much of the performance will be missed. I think he just wants a new car and can't swing the 5.0 and is trying to determine is the EB would be a good substitute. I don't blame him. I've considered the EB as well. My experience with turbo's have mazdaspeed 3's. Turbo is good. I have not driven the ecoboost. I owned a coyote for about 2 years before the kid. I now have a 07 gt because I can't afford a new one and still came in several k cheaper than a used EB. Performance wise what's better 4.6 or EB? I don't know maybe the same maybe one is a little better than the other. All I know is the 5.0 had some serious *****. That thing is like violent fast stock. And if this guy is coming from a 400 hp at the wheel car. He will always compare it to that and it will not measure up until he puts enough money into it that he may as well fix the ac. One thing we can be assured of if he's going through a dealer he will get underpaid for his car and overpay for for the EB. This is not about which engine option is best. They all have their places and suit the needs and wants of the buyer. This simply money. The 5.0 costs more because it offers the most performance
Old 9/23/16, 05:53 PM
V6 Member

Spectreh... I graduated in 87. regarding mustangs and camaros anything less than a v-8 was a chick's car. I am not saying what is right or wrong only that is a perception that is very old. long before my time. Being a virile man in 1979 with a very prominent mustache would want a car called a z28 or a berlinetta?
Old 9/23/16, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I dont get it, why not pay up and fix the **** AC, where you end up with more negatives then positives?
5.0 to 2.3 -Negative
lose on trade in - Negative
added extra car payment-Negative
gain in MPG-positive ( but is it worth just couple of dollars every pump?)
new car will depreciate faster then your used one with time- Negative
tax-Negative
There is probably others things I could list but nothing comes up to mind.

Hell, if it came to be I personally would buy a secondary cheap car are ride that to work, get a used Fiat 500 and drive that. In no shape I would downgrade on a car that I like, and feel regret the whole time you own the car.
Old 9/23/16, 07:47 PM
V6 Member

Hyperdrive = right... imho

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going from Coyote to Ecoboost?