Ecoboost

Four-Banger Mustang Driving Young S550 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/15, 06:31 PM
TMS Staff

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Four-Banger Mustang Driving Young S550 Sales

With millennial buyers now making up nearly 35 percent of new Mustang sales, most young buyers are opting for the four-cylinder engine rather than the V8.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 7/7/15, 06:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
read the rest of the story below
Looks like the new four-banger Mustang is a lot more successful than most expected.

Okay, so maybe I should say a lot more successful than I suspected, because some prescient forecasters had already started putting early bets on the success of Ford’s new four-cylinder pony car before the official launch of the vehicle. And while I thought it would have some appeal, I certainly didn’t’ think it would be driving the sales for the S550 among younger buyers, as noted in a Gas 2 report.

The mpg-centered news source reports that with millennial buyers now making up nearly 35-percent of new Mustang sales, and nearly 40-percent in Southern California, most young buyers are opting for the four-cylinder engine rather than the V8.

Couple that with the fact that Mustang sales are up 117-percent in SoCal, and it leads you to believe that Cali is well on its way to becoming a sea of four-cylinder Mustangs. I guess that makes sense, given the fact that gas prices in a city like L.A. tend to be some of the highest in the country.
That's it no more pictures or werds
Old 7/8/15, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a Ecoboost rather than a GT. I almost did by the GT but the gas mileage was important to me. Plus the I4 Turbo is pretty fast. I really thought I would be disappointed with it but I love the little 4 cylinder more and more everyday. Especially after I got a flowmaster exhaust system for it.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/8/15 at 09:09 PM.
Old 7/8/15, 09:30 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Nothing wrong with 4 bangers in Mustangs. It's in the heritage with the Fox body and the SVO's
Old 7/10/15, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Nothing wrong with 4 bangers in Mustangs. It's in the heritage with the Fox body and the SVO's
Yep, that's why I chose the EB. I loved my SVO, and I am not disappointed in the EB. I do wish they had left the turbo and bov as noisy as it was on the SVO. Artificial sound is unacceptable, I don't care if BMW and the other Euro trash cars do it.
Old 7/10/15, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
The title of this thread just sounds wrong.
Old 7/11/15, 07:50 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm willing to bet that many of us here who have V-8's are in the 40-60+ year old range. We grew up embracing the American performance car culture.

Not so the younger crowd (or at least as much as us older folks did). Their experiences were WRX Subarus, BMW's and other performance oriented Euro and Asian cars. Why is it not reasonable then to think that a 4 banger Mustang wouldn't appeal to them instead of a V8? It's still a performance car, and the Mustang has 50 years of all sorts of history history to back it up. It's legendary car regardless of engine size. Besides, the aftermarket folks and specialty tuners will always be working on something.

With the S550 going global, it's just the natural progression.

I have no problem with the shift. As long as Ford keeps selling them, it opens up more possibilities for the V8 remaining in the line-up for us old farts. It's said that racing improves the breed. So do sales.

I see this as a win/win.
Old 7/11/15, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I'm willing to bet that many of us here who have V-8's are in the 40-60+ year old range. We grew up embracing the American performance car culture.
Might be true. I am 36 and to me the mustang has always been a beastly v8.

I know that isnt important to the younger folks for some reason. Perhaps because 98% of the cars they grew up around were 4-6's? Maybe pop culture (IE fast and furious) has taught them turbo charged civics are cool?

My nephews who are 19 and 16 think that a Mustang should be a V-8 as well... not that I had anything to do with them believing that...

Seriously though.... The T-4 out selling the V-8 should be of no surprise really.

I bet if we look at the numbers, the v-6 always out sold the v-8 as well. Its just what more people can afford.

Another test...The next time you are out driving around, pay attention to the other mustangs, camaro's, Challengers etc that you see... and you will notice that 90% of them have the 'smaller' motors in them.
Old 7/13/15, 12:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Maybe the Ford product planners are onto something and beat Chevy to the punch. I am not a millennial , but I would like to have an ecoboost four as a contrast to my V8 Mustangs. I would not buy an ecoboost four instead of a V8 Mustang, but I think an ecoboost four could be a fun addition. With sales of the ecoboost four so strong, I could see Ford SVT offer a performance model like the SVO in the near future.
Old 10/24/15, 08:10 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at my avatar, when I bought that car, there was NO WAY the Mustang was anything other than a 5.0l beast. I'm 39 and I guess a late Gen X'er and when I was growing up, between the classic Stangs rolling around and the Fox bodies, performance meant V-8. I lost interest in the 90's era cars and drove a bunch of 4 cylinder cars, turbo and n/a. But when I got a Mustang, you better believe it was going to be a V-8!

Now that I've unfortunately had to trade my Mustang for a Lincoln (long story), I'm really loving the 2.3l EcoBoost! I can totally see how it makes for a great choice in the Mustang. Honestly, I feel like I drive faster w/ my Lincoln 2.3l than I did w/ my V-8 given I'm not rowing gears AND the torque is INSTANT instead of coming on at 4k rpms. If my back will ever let me get back into a Mustang, I'm not going to overlook the 2.3l.