Ecoboost

The factory warranty for ford

Old 5/24/17, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The factory warranty for ford

Hi, does anyone know the blown head gasket can still claim the warranty?
My mustang is 2015 ecoboost with only 16k mile. My friend ask the dealer that cost 15k for repair. I have no idea what should I do ? Please let me know if e
Anybody can help wit? Thank you
Old 5/24/17, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The drivetrain should be a 5 year/60000 mile warranty. The rest of the car is a 3/36 plan. Bodypanels and main chassis are unlimited corrosion.

And unless the engine has been provably modified in a way that would cause the problem (overboosting, hot rod tune, etc.) then the warranty applies, and you should take it in to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Now... All what I said applies for USA and I believe Canada, and I cannot be certain that any other country (should you be in one) carries this sort of warranty. In any event, you should take it to the dealer... AND know your warranty.

The $15000 seems high, given that a crate 2.3L ecoboost motor is about $8k with a 2 year/24K warranty:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-23T

That leaves about 7K in labor and materials... what materials can eat any of that, I dunno. Coolant, filter and oil? Pfft. So leave it at 7K in labor. At a generous $200 per hour, that's 35 hours, or 4 days and some change.

Ludicrous. That's a dedicated one day swap for any reputable dealership with all the tools and tricks at their disposal. They just drop the K member, take the old motor off, put the new one on, and you're out the door.

Of course, that's an engine swap. 'Just' replacing the head gasket to me seems a much cheaper thing than an entire engine swap with a new crate motor. Just unbolting things, putting in new gasket, rebolting and voila, off ya go.

Maybe I'm off base. But I don't think so. If they denied the warranty and quoted me that price I would just take the car home and figure out how I'm getting that crate motor to my house and doing it myself... but then I'm also just swapping the head gasket myself and giving that a go first because might as well. If it works, great, if it don't I'm gettin' a motor. Either way I'm saving money, and it's my time.

Then again, I have other vehicles available, help, locations, tools, know how... Not every one has all that in enough supply, so... In any event... go to the dealer yourself, get it from the horses mouth.

Good luck to ya. And welcome aboard!
The following users liked this post:
huberoy123 (5/30/17)

Search this Thread