Ecoboost

2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/19, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Suspension Issues

Hi y'all,

To begin, I am not super familiar with cars especially when it comes to the mechanical part of it so I apologize in advance.

To begin, I own a 2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium in North Dallas ,TX. I bought it wen 29,000 miles, It now was 39,000. My issues started happening around 37,000. I had to get a whole engine replacement around 35,000 but was luckily replaced under warranty when a red light came on.

Issue: Several months ago, I bought a mustang and it was a fleet vehicle and for some reason, the two from tires were different than the back two. Everything was fine except when I bought part of the passenger front bumper was coming off a little ( I dont believe this is the cause of the issue). I started noticing a creeking sound whenever I turn right, like a cracking sound in a way if you will. Additionally at high speeds (around 75-80), I hear a vibrating sound (like on a turbine). This is all on the front passenger side.

I brought it into a Ford dealership and this is what they say:

Them: That front tire on the passenger side is showing some signs of indistinct - wear we check the tie rods and ball joints on that side and found them starting to wear out- to the effect- we checked the other side too - it's starting to go as well.

Me: So what's the solution?

Them: Replacement of the ball joint nuts control arm bushing nuts, replace th rear control arms, align and 2 new tires. In other words - around 1500. Now may be a good time to look at explorers.

OK, so kind of weird. Trying to sell me a car when I am trying to reach a sensible solution. Anyways, I am out of options and dont know what else to do. Can anyone offer some solutions or even some suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Old 10/8/19, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
They could be not wrong. They could also be trying to upsell or something. I don't know.

Take it to an independent shop. A dealership isn't necessarily the best place for an out-of-warranty situation, and for suspension issues, I'm pretty sure there's better. If it was under warranty, different story. Also, maybe do some searches for recommendations in your area. I'm not talkin' Pep Boys or such, I'm talking an actual independent shop that wants your business and needs good word of mouth.

Don't tell them you took it anywhere else. Just have them look at it 'blind', describing the issue you have, and let them go with it. If they match the diagnosis, then it's your call. If they have a different diagnosis, then bring up what the dealership said and ask them why there's a difference. Also, be sure to insist you get to see what they're describing. The should be prying on things and making sure they don't move or do move as the part calls for. Bushings of control arms shouldn't let much movement side to side. Or at all. Ball joints shouldn't move at all. Loose/bad parts are *visibly moving around* if they're bad. Inner tie rod ends can be a fool's errand though, because the rack will move just a little bit here and there. That'd be almost ok, its when it's thunk-thunk large 'swings' that you got the issues.

Also, go watch some youtube videos regarding the parts the dealer wants to replace. There's a lot of them out there. Just type in 'bad ball joint' and videos will come up. The more you actually know as far as diagnostics of these things, the better consumer you will be. It's not car specific in many cases, as they're all fairly much the same shades of grey when it comes to suspensions. Watching anything regarding how a strut mount works, even on a Chevy Cruise or Toyota Corolla is going to make you know how a strut mount works in just about any car. As an example.

Otherwise, parts and labor, yeah, that sounds about right, hit it, cut the check. I just don't know if those are the issues is all...

Hope that helps, and welcome the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 10/8/19 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10/9/19, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Everything Houtex said. You have no way of knowing how the former owner(s) treated the car. It may have been treated gently; it may have been abused.

Turbocharged engines (Ecoboost for Ford) are not a place to "cheat" on maintenance. You will really want to be meticulous about regular maintenance on them, starting with oil changes, filter changes, etc. Neglect a turbo engine, and you will experience sadness.