Ecoboost

2.3L Ecoboost engine aftermarket support?

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/13, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2.3L Ecoboost engine aftermarket support?

I have been watching the 2015 developments with keen interest, especially the 2.3L ecoboost motor. 300hp (270ish) at the wheels is nothing to sneeze at.

But my concern is aftermarket support. Exterior parts, grilles, spoilers etc. will fit all versions. What I am referring to and hoping for is the level of aftermarket engine mod support like one would find on imports.

Currently there isn't much love for the V6 mustangs as far as engine mods, so will the 2015 ecoboost suffer from the same lack of love from the major industry players that make engine mods?
Old 12/8/13, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
I have been watching the 2015 developments with keen interest, especially the 2.3L ecoboost motor. 300hp (270ish) at the wheels is nothing to sneeze at.

But my concern is aftermarket support. Exterior parts, grilles, spoilers etc. will fit all versions. What I am referring to and hoping for is the level of aftermarket engine mod support like one would find on imports.

Currently there isn't much love for the V6 mustangs as far as engine mods, so will the 2015 ecoboost suffer from the same lack of love from the major industry players that make engine mods?
Still too soon to speculate anything. What more do you actually want as far as mods go? A CIA and tune will wake that car right up.
Old 12/8/13, 11:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you can get tons of stuff for the v6. I am sure the focus ST part will spill over in the mustang market.
Old 12/8/13, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we'll see more of a push for go fast goodies for the 2.3l. There are tons of companies who have been stuck making accessories for 4 cyl. turbo cars. Now they have a true enthusiast's canvas to start from.
Old 12/8/13, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The HP rating from the manufacturer are not RWHP. The 4cyn Ecoboost will be lucky to see 260 at the rear wheels.

Last edited by jsimmons; 12/8/13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12/8/13, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
The HP rating from the manufacturer are not RWHP. The 4cyn Ecoboost will be lucky to see 250 at the rear wheels.
The OP knows that. That is why he put "270" in parentheses.
Old 12/8/13, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The HP rating from the manufacturer are not RWHP.

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
The OP knows that. That is why he put "270" in parentheses.

Opps. Beat me to it. ^^^^^^ That's what I get for watching football while trying to post.

I know that. That is why I put the speculated HP numbers in parenthesis. Depending on transmission the drivetrain lose can be 18 - 22%. RWHP on the 2.3L may actually be closer to 234 with a MT6sp, but again I am only speculating.

From what I have read on other forums regarding the new header, it will be pretty difficult to make that any better from a aftermarket manufacturer as it is part of the twin scroll turbo. So the way I see it we will see may see axle backs, CAI, tunes etc. Maybe larger turbos? But probably no cams, pistons, cranks rods, that we see on the import scene.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 12/8/13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12/8/13, 12:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Right now in Ecoboost DI engines the biggest hurdle is the fuel injection. I have yet to see an aftermarket for the Taurus SHO after 4 years on the market. The DI operates at a much much higher PSI.

Maybe with the mass production of the Mustang Ecoboost someone will step up to the plate. But right now HP is limited by fuel delivery as far as I know.
Old 12/8/13, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Agree that the DI has proven to be tougher to tune than port injection turbo cars of the past. I know a guy with a turbo Cobalt SS which has a DI engine - the workaround for increased fuel flow required for his big turbo was actually an additional fuel injector (port injection) that acted in parallel with the stock DI system. Perhaps something similar will be worked up for the Mustang... or maybe I just gave away my brilliant idea to make millions

I would imagine a lot of tuning options with the 2.3t though as turbo cars in general respond very well to tuning and other modifications.
Old 12/8/13, 12:39 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
There is a German Turner (Wolf Racing) that states they are able to take the 2.0 Ecoboost up to 370hp and 409tq. Not sure what, if anything, was done internally.
Old 12/8/13, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Right now in Ecoboost DI engines the biggest hurdle is the fuel injection. I have yet to see an aftermarket for the Taurus SHO after 4 years on the market. The DI operates at a much much higher PSI. Maybe with the mass production of the Mustang Ecoboost someone will step up to the plate. But right now HP is limited by fuel delivery as far as I know.
Don't Lund, Hennesey and Lethal Performance all offer tunes for the 3.5TTs?
Old 12/8/13, 03:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

The HP rating from the manufacturer are not RWHP. The 4cyn Ecoboost will be lucky to see 260 at the rear wheels.
Which is the same as the v6 you drive right now. but tune for tune the turbo car will see more of a increase.

this from the steeda site for the ST motor

Peak to Peak horsepower gains of 15 horsepower can be expected, with point to point gains of as much as 28 horsepower to the front wheels. You can also expect up to 56 ft/lbs of torque to be gained. These impressive gains can be found throughout the entire powerband from just off idle to redline.
if the 2.0 is seeing those kinds of increase I can not wait to see what the 2.3 will offer.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Right now in Ecoboost DI engines the biggest hurdle is the fuel injection. I have yet to see an aftermarket for the Taurus SHO after 4 years on the market. The DI operates at a much much higher PSI.

Maybe with the mass production of the Mustang Ecoboost someone will step up to the plate. But right now HP is limited by fuel delivery as far as I know.
They have SHO kits. The ST focus market has a huge amount of stuff. The have turbo upgrade, piping, tunes, charge pipes, mounts, exhaust, spacers, blow offs and much more. I am betting that most of the stuff will bolt up.

between cobb, steeda, ford racing, cfm, fswerks, roush, Shelby, mountune and many others its going to be a hot market.

Last edited by Flagstang; 12/8/13 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12/8/13, 03:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Don't Lund, Hennesey and Lethal Performance all offer tunes for the 3.5TTs?
Yes they all have tune kits and bolt on kits but that will only go so far. They haven't cracked how to increase the fuel supply yet with the DI and the fuel system.

Imagine if you had all the kits for the 5.0, 4.6, 5.4, and 5.8 but you couldn't increases the injector size or fuel pump. You'd hit a ceiling petty fast on what you could get out of the motor performance wise.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 12/8/13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12/8/13, 06:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to see Cobb jump in. I ran their tune on my Speed6 and love the AccessPort as a tuning device. It blows the SCT handheld out of the water.
Old 12/8/13, 07:48 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
If the ecoboost is anything like the F150 ecoboost,..you have nothing to worry about for performance parts. There are a bunch.
Old 12/8/13, 08:33 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

wouldn't be cool if they made a whipple for the f150 ecoboost?
Old 12/8/13, 08:44 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
wouldn't be cool if they made a whipple for the f150 ecoboost?
That would be a very expensive build. Ecoboost engines are twin turbos.
Old 12/8/13, 09:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Stage_3
That would be a very expensive build. Ecoboost engines are twin turbos.
I know! sounds fun
Old 12/8/13, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

Intercooler upgrades, boost control will happen quick. It's just not certain what these engines can safely hold yet. If the ecoboost mustang can safely hold 400-450 at the wheels, then it'll be a true contender with gears, TQ converter and suspension.
Old 12/9/13, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Opps. Beat me to it. ^^^^^^ That's what I get for watching football while trying to post.

I know that. That is why I put the speculated HP numbers in parenthesis. Depending on transmission the drivetrain lose can be 18 - 22%. RWHP on the 2.3L may actually be closer to 234 with a MT6sp, but again I am only speculating.

From what I have read on other forums regarding the new header, it will be pretty difficult to make that any better from a aftermarket manufacturer as it is part of the twin scroll turbo. So the way I see it we will see may see axle backs, CAI, tunes etc. Maybe larger turbos? But probably no cams, pistons, cranks rods, that we see on the import scene.
Many people are saying Ford under-rated the Focus. So it's possible that will happen with the Mustang eco-boost as well.

Quick Reply: 2.3L Ecoboost engine aftermarket support?