V6

Need advice on Bama for stock 2017 Mustang v6 (Man-6spd)

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/24, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Bama for stock 2017 Mustang v6 (Man-6spd)

Hello,

Looking into a Bama tuner from AM and the included tune package for a 2017 v6 with the 6 speed manual, 3.15 gears and a bone stock setup.

Reviewing the benefits of the performance and race tunes that are included with the tuner.

First, I'm Not going to the track anytime soon. This car will be driven "Street 100%" and some back country fun. A lot of the positive reviews seem to be automatic transmission program related and this just doesn't apply too me. The AT shift point improvement is incredible and very noticeable.

Second, the 3.7 really doesn't respond to 93 octane as the 5.0 or Eco boost. Ford backs this up. I've done my acceleration test and really don't see a performance increase that noticeable. Always using a top tier fuel.

But, quicker throttle response is the common improvement on these tunes. That's a plus.

With modest gains at the rear wheels for Street/performance tunes, is there really a significant increase in performance for a stock v6 with a manual 6 speed?

Thanks
Mike
Old 1/2/24, 10:09 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Welcome Mike,

Thanks For Joining and Also For Such a Complete & Concise Question.

I Can Only Open The Door on Your Question But It Will Hopefully Get You Some Feedback. I Had The Very First Bama Tune & C&L Intake on My Gt-500 & Was Quite Happy with the Service & Products. But That Was Many Years ago Since The Founder Sold The Company to American Muscle The Service & Support is Sub Par I Am Told. I Have No Direct Experience.

I Found This and it Seems to Bear This Out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mustang/com...ama/?rdt=56438

That Being Said Here are a Couple of Tuners That Seem To Be Popular on This Site. Although this Thread was on a Prior Model You May Glean Some Info Here!

Lito Tunes Are Often Suggested as Well! Being From California I Always ask As Well if Any Smog Laws Would Limit Your Using Certain Tunes! We Have To Have CARB Certified Tunes to Be Legal.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...stions-550480/

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/2/24 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mich.g.pan (1/5/24)
Old 1/5/24, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Mike
Old 1/5/24, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Hi Mike, I think I replied to you on another forum, so this may be a little repetitive:
  • I doubt you will see or feel any noticeable difference, with just a tune on a manual car .... but it's up to you of course, and it might be fun just to see if you can tell the difference
  • Lito is great for the 4.6 3V V8, but I don't think he writes tunes for the 3.7 V6 ... you could e-mail him at support@tudyno.com if you want to find out
  • Bama was pretty good "back in the day" but there have been a lot of complaints about them lately; MPT is probably a better choice
  • beware of false throttle response -- one of the tricks that these tuners use, to make it feel like it made a difference, is cranking up the throttle response; so a small press on the pedal produces a big change in the throttle opening .... this is not good, it can make the car too touchy or buck when you are on and off the throttle .... you want a linear throttle response, and eliminate as much of the throttle lag as possible, but it cannot be completely eliminated due to the "fly by wire" system in these cars
  • most tuners won't mess with the emissions stuff these days, so that should not be a concern .... but just to make sure, ask for an "emissions compliant" tune, and then they won't do anything that would fail emissions, such as turn off the rear O2 sensors (which is common in the past, but I don't know why they did it and now it is illegal)

Last edited by Bert; 1/5/24 at 04:01 PM.