V6

2016 v6 Lemon?

Old 10/23/16, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 v6 Lemon?

I have a 2016 v6 mustang and it has hit 11k miles. The car has gone into limp mode 2 times in a week so I took it to the service department at the dealership i purchased it from. They are saying there is a issue with the car but they don't know what it is. Something is throwing off the computer and they say the throttle body is fine. There are codes coming up that they have never seen. I personally think its the transmission because it has made clunk noises for the past couple months, or the throttle body because the car always feels like its going to stall and there is a recall for the throttle body. Any recommendations on what to do? The car has been in the shop for a week, i have started a case with ford corporate and am waiting to talk to the GM at the dealership I purchased the car from. IF they cant come up with a conclusion would that mean the car is a lemon?
Old 10/24/16, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
No it is not considered a lemon unless it has been into service 3 times for the exact same problem without being fixed.... someone please correct me if I am wrong. I wouldn't pick it up until they tell you what was wrong and that it has been repaired.
Old 10/24/16, 07:47 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The car can't make up new codes. If it throws a code, it is a code the is either OBDII standard or Ford specific. Someone at Ford should be able to solve it.
Old 10/24/16, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
The car can't make up new codes. If it throws a code, it is a code the is either OBDII standard or Ford specific. Someone at Ford should be able to solve it.
So I talked to the service manager and they're saying since I changed my wheels and tires from 17"-19" that it is setting off a torque code which causes it to go into limp mode. We'll see what happens but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has changed wheels and tires. I've gone 10k miles and never had a problem with going in limp mode until now.
Old 10/24/16, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pat32388
So I talked to the service manager and they're saying since I changed my wheels and tires from 17"-19" that it is setting off a torque code which causes it to go into limp mode. We'll see what happens but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has changed wheels and tires. I've gone 10k miles and never had a problem with going in limp mode until now.
That is a load of garbage and now they are trying to pin it on your modifications so warranty will not cover it. Take it elsewhere.

And no it is not a lemon. I belive lemon laws vary a bit from state to state but they all have the same basic principles. Here are the laws from my state.

Your car may be covered by the Lemon Law if all of the following have happened:
The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer's warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.
The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts†to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.
The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.

Last edited by SplitSecond; 10/24/16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10/24/16, 12:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you go with taller tires? I mean you can go from 17 to 19 and still be very close to stock diameter on the tires. I agree with Split on the load of garbage they are trying to hand you. What did they say to the fact that youi have been running these wheels for 10k miles?
Old 10/24/16, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Do you know what the codes are?
Old 10/24/16, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ford20
Do you know what the codes are?
the code is p061b Internal control module torque calculation performance. All I changed was the stock tires to the oem gt tires which are the same diameter
Old 10/24/16, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Did you go with taller tires? I mean you can go from 17 to 19 and still be very close to stock diameter on the tires. I agree with Split on the load of garbage they are trying to hand you. What did they say to the fact that youi have been running these wheels for 10k miles?
they said if i disconnected the battery and when they did the computer reset that it recognizes the new wheels than started to have a problem. My battery was disconnected about 2 weeks before the limpmode at the stereo shop. They said they'll let me run their factory rims for a week to see if the light comes on. If the light comes on and goes into the limp mode than they can rule out the wheels and tires. I told them I don't want the car if you can't change the wheels and tires. Hopefully they'll rule that out
Old 10/25/16, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

sounds sooooooooo stupid to me
Old 10/25/16, 07:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
the code is p061b Internal control module torque calculation performance. All I changed was the stock tires to the oem gt tires which are the same diameter
If it is just that one code than I am almost positive that is not the wheels. Most of the time that code is intake or MAF related. When you took it to the stereo shop maybe they had to move the intake around to run some wires or something. I'm guessing it is bone stock. When you get it back, inspect the filter to make sure there are no tears in the rubber gasket surrounding it or that nothing is pinched and the filter is seated correctly and the box is securely connected along with the intake tube. When I got mine it took my car about a week for it to show up and the clamp on the filter was lose causing turbulence in the intake track or it could allow un-metered air from entering the system on occasion. Or of maybe you changed out the filter something that is advertised as freer flowing they may have an issue with it. Just pop the factory one back in and see what happens.

Last edited by ford20; 10/25/16 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10/25/16, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ford20
If it is just that one code than I am almost positive that is not the wheels. Most of the time that code is intake or MAF related. When you took it to the stereo shop maybe they had to move the intake around to run some wires or something. I'm guessing it is bone stock. When you get it back, inspect the filter to make sure there are no tears in the rubber gasket surrounding it or that nothing is pinched and the filter is seated correctly and the box is securely connected along with the intake tube. When I got mine it took my car about a week for it to show up and the clamp on the filter was lose causing turbulence in the intake track or it could allow un-metered air from entering the system on occasion. Or of maybe you changed out the filter something that is advertised as freer flowing they may have an issue with it. Just pop the factory one back in and see what happens.
Thanks! I will check what you stated and see what happens!
Old 10/25/16, 11:28 AM

Thanks! I will check what you stated and see what happens!
I told them what you stated and they said that was all
part of the checklist they checked and it all
is good. Today they are driving the car with the factory rims to see if it triggers the light and limp mode. Even the service manager said he's never heard that changing the rims and tires can cause this issue but ford is stating to test with factory rims. So that means if you buy a mustang you can't change the rims and tires or it'll void the warranty and they won't be able to fix it? Is there any type of tune that you can do or a chip to reprogram the computer that is aftermarket that will fix this limp mode issue?
Old 10/28/16, 04:48 PM

Update: I got my car back from the dealership that said that the problem is my wheels,and the car went into limp mode 2 times on the freeway. I got towed into Galpin ford (a different dealer from the original) and they fixed the problem within a couple hours. It was the throttle body which I originally thought it was and is a known issue/recall. Be careful what service center you go to because some will blame your transmission problems on your window tint. Lol.
Old 10/28/16, 07:06 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. And the other dealer service department is just lazy idiots. That's sad.

Search this Thread