Deep Impact Blue

Call me fickle

Old 8/18/16, 08:08 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Call me fickle

I've had a wild hair up my **** for Race Red recently. For ***** and giggles I searched some dealer inventories for '16 leftover ragtops, but not a single one in RR that floated my boat.

But I did see a DIB with the GT Performance Package that really got my attention, especially since it has a $1K bonus and 72 mos 0% financing. It's about 50 miles away.

There's a lot of 'if's.....

'If' my local dealer would be willing to do a swap
'If' he can knock off a few thou more
'If' I can get the right price for my '14.

Pros:

What's not to like?
It's not black
GT Perf Pkg
My monthly nut would be about the same, maybe even less than what I'm paying now

Cons:

I'd be taking a hit on a trade-in
I'd have to eat the cost of the mods that aren't practical to remove.
It has voice activated nav which is useless for my purposes.

Obviously I'd lose $$$ all the way around, but no one said deals like these are money makers for anyone but the dealer. I get that. This is strictly an emotional consideration.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet and need to mull it over for a few days. I'd have no problem keeping my '14 and wouldn't lose sleep no matter what I decided.

But a DIB S550 with the GT Perf Pkg sure looks sweet.
Attached Thumbnails Call me fickle-dib2016.jpg  
Old 8/18/16, 11:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Deep down, you just want to get away from the black, white, red, & blue, are just excuses.
Old 8/18/16, 11:21 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Deep down, you just want to get away from the black, white, red, & blue, are just excuses.
We'll discuss later, weather permitting.
Old 8/18/16, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I've had a wild hair up my **** for Race Red recently. For ***** and giggles I searched some dealer inventories for '16 leftover ragtops, but not a single one in RR that floated my boat.

But I did see a DIB with the GT Performance Package that really got my attention, especially since it has a $1K bonus and 72 mos 0% financing. It's about 50 miles away.

There's a lot of 'if's.....

'If' my local dealer would be willing to do a swap
'If' he can knock off a few thou more
'If' I can get the right price for my '14.

Pros:

What's not to like?
It's not black
GT Perf Pkg
My monthly nut would be about the same, maybe even less than what I'm paying now

Cons:

I'd be taking a hit on a trade-in
I'd have to eat the cost of the mods that aren't practical to remove.
It has voice activated nav which is useless for my purposes.

Obviously I'd lose $$$ all the way around, but no one said deals like these are money makers for anyone but the dealer. I get that. This is strictly an emotional consideration.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet and need to mull it over for a few days. I'd have no problem keeping my '14 and wouldn't lose sleep no matter what I decided.

But a DIB S550 with the GT Perf Pkg sure looks sweet.
As we've discussed before, the new body style has been hard to get used to. I've been getting more comfortable with the design but still not enough to motivate me to trade away my '14.

That being said, some colors of the S550 look better to me on the convertible than the coupe. Ruby Red is one of those colors, but DIB is not.

I hope you find what you're looking for though!
Old 8/18/16, 12:17 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
As we've discussed before, the new body style has been hard to get used to. I've been getting more comfortable with the design but still not enough to motivate me to trade away my '14.

That being said, some colors of the S550 look better to me on the convertible than the coupe. Ruby Red is one of those colors, but DIB is not.

I hope you find what you're looking for though!
I did a 180 on the S550 after bashing it initially, and I tend to agree about Ruby Red on a 'vert. But it's the second most common color around here (black being the first) on the S550 and it's different variants over the 10 years of the S197.

I also agree about DIB on an S550 'vert for the most part, but the black wheels changed that perception. IMO, the single most important factor in judging the looks of a car is how certain wheels appear with any given color. The black GT Perf Pkg wheels against the DIB gives it a much more aggressive and different look.

Naturally that's my opinion and others might disagree. Interestingly I don't care for the black wheels on Ruby Red. Race Red though is a different story. Just about any finish of wheel works with RR,
Old 8/19/16, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Funny how that 15 DIB with black wheels showed up last night @ the cruise.
Did you make any phone calls today ??
Old 8/19/16, 10:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Funny how that 15 DIB with black wheels showed up last night @ the cruise.
Did you make any phone calls today ??

Yeah, got my loan payoff # from the bank, and emailed the dealer....waiting for a call back. I'm in no rush.

Yeah, that was serendipity last nite. Of course as I was getting into my car when I finished at the gym a little while ago several people came over and raved about how cool it looks. Part of me wants to keep it, another part has the hots for DIB '16.

If the numbers don't work out, so be it. I'll just move to to Plan B and get fatter sneakers and a new set of bright wheels for mine. Probably remove the stripes too...I'm bored with them.
Old 8/19/16, 04:20 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Yeah, got my loan payoff # from the bank, and emailed the dealer....waiting for a call back. I'm in no rush.
Yeah, that was serendipity last nite. Of course as I was getting into my car when I finished at the gym a little while ago several people came over and raved about how cool it looks. Part of me wants to keep it, another part has the hots for DIB '16.
If the numbers don't work out, so be it. I'll just move to to Plan B and get fatter sneakers and a new set of bright wheels for mine. Probably remove the stripes too...I'm bored with them.
First me,...now you too Tom?!?!? lol
It's a tough call. Part me of me wants to keep my car and part of me wants to sell it. A did a lot of thinking about it today at work and I'm thinking I'm going to keep it. I'll leave it for sale till October and then if it doesn't sell. I'm keeping it. It wasn't meant to be sold then is the sign.
Good luck to you. If it works out for you and you really want it, then go for it. Go with your gut. It's usually 90% right all of the time. lol
Good luck my man!
Old 8/19/16, 05:07 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
First me,...now you too Tom?!?!? lol
It's a tough call. Part me of me wants to keep my car and part of me wants to sell it. A did a lot of thinking about it today at work and I'm thinking I'm going to keep it. I'll leave it for sale till October and then if it doesn't sell. I'm keeping it. It wasn't meant to be sold then is the sign.
Good luck to you. If it works out for you and you really want it, then go for it. Go with your gut. It's usually 90% right all of the time. lol
Good luck my man!
Thanks Tony.....good luck to you too. Looks like both of us are in the horns of a dilemma. I'd be taking a big hit on a trade-in, but if the dealer can offset that with a ton of $$$ off on the other end it all comes out in the wash, at least theoretically.

I going to the dealer next week...it's a long drive, but I'll test drive it and get some hard #'s.

The S550 is a different beast when compared with mine. It has PP....mine doesn't. Never thought I'd like black wheels but they look pretty mean against DIB. If I got this car I'd probably replace them at some point....they look like a b!tch to clean.

First mod.....axlebacks. Deep and throaty ones.
Old 8/19/16, 06:13 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Thanks Tony.....good luck to you too. Looks like both of us are in the horns of a dilemma. I'd be taking a big hit on a trade-in, but if the dealer can offset that with a ton of $$$ off on the other end it all comes out in the wash, at least theoretically.
I going to the dealer next week...it's a long drive, but I'll test drive it and get some hard #'s.
The S550 is a different beast when compared with mine. It has PP....mine doesn't. Never thought I'd like black wheels but they look pretty mean against DIB. If I got this car I'd probably replace them at some point....they look like a b!tch to clean.
First mod.....axlebacks. Deep and throaty ones.
Thank you sir.
Yeah, if the dealership can offset the hit with more money off the top, that's not so bad. You're getting a brand new car. And for the record, I think the DIB and those PP wheels look killer together. Makes the DIB "pop" more in my opinion.
Good luck and keep us posted sir.
Old 8/23/16, 03:33 PM
FR500 Member

Yup....fickle is my name.

Had an appointment to meet with the dealer and talk numbers tomorrow. I got cold feet and canceled.

I'd be taking a big $$$ hit, regardless of how good a deal they could offer. And naturally I'd end up spending a couple of thou on mods for the '16.

But truth be told, I really do love my '14. I got it in the midst of a turmoil filled and a life changing pair of events....retirement and a divorce. My Mustang was the drug that helped me redirect focus. There's a degree of emotional attachment and black paint was not a compelling enough reason to cast it aside.

We'll see what the redesign looks like in a couple of years.
Old 8/23/16, 03:57 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Yup....fickle is my name.
Had an appointment to meet with the dealer and talk numbers tomorrow. I got cold feet and canceled.
I'd be taking a big $$$ hit, regardless of how good a deal they could offer. And naturally I'd end up spending a couple of thou on mods for the '16.
But truth be told, I really do love my '14. I got it in the midst of a turmoil filled and a life changing pair of events....retirement and a divorce. My Mustang was the drug that helped me redirect focus. There's a degree of emotional attachment and black paint was not a compelling enough reason to cast it aside.
We'll see what the redesign looks like in a couple of years.
Well played sir. Well played. I think you're making the right call Tom. Truth be told, the S550 cars look great, but our S197 cars look amazing! I've seen a lot of S550 cars in person and they do look great, but the S197 body style we have, still makes my heart skip a beat.

(I think I'm going to keep mine as well. I'll be honest, I love my car. Zero issues, super clean, super low mileage. The ONLY reason I want a S550 Mustang is to be built for stupid power and torque. The interior is an upgrade as well, but I can do without that upgrade really. It's not my daily driver where I need the best of the best.)
Old 8/23/16, 04:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Tom,
Do what makes you happy. Life is short.
Enjoy each day but make sure it's what you really want deep down and not just curiosity. Just my 2.
Old 8/23/16, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I didn't even bother posting in here because I knew you wouldn't do it.

Why don't you wrap your car gloss white? With the engine bay black, it'll look even more classic since all the engine bays were black back then. You could even find a shade that's close to Wimbledon White - then you get the color you really wanted. You can also do the Katzkin red leather seat covers and door panel inserts. All in, those mods would probably be about the hit that you'd take on a trade in...
Old 8/23/16, 07:51 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I didn't even bother posting in here because I knew you wouldn't do it.

Why don't you wrap your car gloss white? With the engine bay black, it'll look even more classic since all the engine bays were black back then. You could even find a shade that's close to Wimbledon White - then you get the color you really wanted. You can also do the Katzkin red leather seat covers and door panel inserts. All in, those mods would probably be about the hit that you'd take on a trade in...

There ya go Patrick, spending my money again. And to think I almost let you talk me into giving you my cc info when you tried to scam me as a new member.
Old 8/23/16, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There ya go Patrick, spending my money again. And to think I almost let you talk me into giving you my cc info when you tried to scam me as a new member.
Old 8/23/16, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That settles it then. Wimbledon White vinyl wrap, katzkin red leather covers with cashmere stripes to look OEM, and one of these wheels in custom offsets...

Attached Thumbnails Call me fickle-photo176.jpg   Call me fickle-photo715.jpg  
Old 8/24/16, 01:09 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Little food for thought. Unlike the rare few (gary) who can just keep every mustang they buy, most of us just change it up eventually. My first car was a 68 mustang, my dream car growing up. Since then I've owned 3 other mustangs. Along with a pretty cool list of other cars that I've always wanted. In my experience, all my mustangs were mustangs. Even after I sold the 03 cobra, the only mustang I want back is the 92 notchback. Point is the latest and greatest is always really nice but not always your favorite. If you're even considering selling your car, it isn't that special. Upgrade, downgrade, change it up, whatever. Just don't lose money on the deals and there's really no regrets.
Old 8/24/16, 04:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I love the fact guys like us have a hard time letting go of our Mustangs...it goes to prove they are MUCH more than mere transport. They get under our skin and become part of us.

I've had my '05 for nearly 9 years now. She's a toy and I baby her. She's never done the daily commute to work and every trip has been for fun.

However, even the strongest relationships can be rocked by "window shopping". I'm a sucker for the S550 (always have been) and the California Special rings my bell. It has just the right amount of black accents and special trim to stand out without going over the top.

Honestly, lower this a tad, add some wheel spacers and a black roof and even I'D consider kicking my baby out of the garage

If the '18MY is as good as I think it will be, my baby may be in serious trouble