Notices
2011 - 2014 GT/CS Special Section for the California Special owners.

Ordered a 2014 GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/13, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered a 2014 GT/CS

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to TMS. I frequent these forums quite often but don't post much. However, I find this site to be a great resource and the crowd seems awesome

About a year ago I special ordered a 2013 GT500. I got cold feet and pulled the plug before it was built. I told myself I'd wait a year and buy a used one. Well, a year passed and I realized that as awesome as the GT500 is, it's not a practical daily driver. My current vehicle is 10 years old and I've looked around at other new cars, but I literally don't like any other car out there. So, two weeks ago I special ordered a black 2014 GT/CS. I fell in love with the look because it closely resembles the GT500. I already ordered quad GT500 axle backs and lower valence to swap out in place of stock.

My only concern is my choice in transmission. I ordered this car M6 before I did my homework. I have been checking this site along with others and Google searches on the MT82 trans and was quite disappointed by the complaints. I am really concerned with my choice and since the car was only ordered a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to receive a VIN, I probably still have time to make a change to A6. The only problem is that I cannot possibly fathom driving this car in an automatic. No offense to the people out there who prefer auto... I just can't do it. I drove a rental automatic GT for a week on vacation and was terribly disappointed by it. Yes it was awesome because it was a mustang, but I felt lazy driving it. It looked like a Mustang, but it just didn't feel like a Mustang.

Anyway, I know that I am opening a can of worms here, but have the kinks been worked out in the 2014 models? I know it's no Tremec, and it's still the MT82, but is this trans really as bad as everyone makes it out to be? People tend to post complaints more than they post compliments about something. That's a given fact with the interwebs. So, what's the deal?

Thanks!

Last edited by Last1; 8/23/13 at 08:34 PM.
Old 8/23/13, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a 12 and after I changed the shifter bracket, I had no problems. I think many folks have issues with how narrow the shifter gates are. When I first drove it, I thought there were issues. I realized I had to drive the car the way it wanted. I've been driving for 22 years and almost all of my cars have been manual. I think a lot of people think they know how to drive stick and the car must be wrong. I was initially one of those people. I think you'll love how the manual runs. I love mine.
Old 8/23/13, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Mr. V. Very reassuring :] Hey, I also ordered the same exhaust as you. How do you like it? Sounds amazing in the vids I have watched of that exhaust.
Old 8/24/13, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my trans in my 13' gtcs
Old 8/24/13, 02:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
Thanks Mr. V. Very reassuring :] Hey, I also ordered the same exhaust as you. How do you like it? Sounds amazing in the vids I have watched of that exhaust.
I love it. It's a true multitasker. At low rpm, it is factory quiet. It rumbles when you step on it. No drone either. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 8/25/13, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I went through a similar thought process and I read all about the MT-82, and it is easy to get caught up in reading all of it. I've had my car since late April 12, and I love it. I did upgrade my shifter with an aftermarket unit, and as Mr V stated there is also a bracket you can upgrade which will improve shifting.

My car is a DD an I'm closing in on 12,000 miles. I have not had any tranny problems. I also drove it last winter not in the snow though, and no issues in the cold either, it was a little sluggish after sitting outside for 9 hours. I did let the fluids warm up before any spirited driving and no issues.

I think you made a great choice and you're going to enjoy it.
Old 8/25/13, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Rog! Very good to hear. I will be keeping my 10 year old Mazda 3 as a winter beater, reducing the insurance on it to liability. I drive about 60 miles a day to work and back and really don't want to put all of those miles on the Mustang. I also just ordered the Steeda shifter bracket that Mr. V recommended. I'm going to see how that goes for a bit before I decide to upgrade the shifter. Did you upgrade your rear? I ordered my CS with 3:55 instead of the 3:31.
Old 8/26/13, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Yes same here, ordered it with the 3:55. I felt the 3:73 would be too tall for my needs and the 3:55 were a good compromise.
Old 8/28/13, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't go auto. Eww. The Barton 2 post bracket worked wonders for me.
Old 8/28/13, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sticking with manual. Pun intended. Nice CS ya got there, Bocefus. I wish we can do driver and passenger tint in NJ. Not legal at any percentage. Looks great though. I have my whole weekend planned when the car comes. Add the axle backs, shifter bracket, wash/wax, and remove that tri-bar pony emblem from the front grill. Not sure why they would use the same emblem on the V6...but I get the heritage of it. Just wish it was something different on the California Specials.
Old 8/30/13, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bocefus
Don't go auto. Eww. The Barton 2 post bracket worked wonders for me.
Old 9/5/13, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Sticking with manual. Pun intended. Nice CS ya got there, Bocefus. I wish we can do driver and passenger tint in NJ. Not legal at any percentage. Looks great though. I have my whole weekend planned when the car comes. Add the axle backs, shifter bracket, wash/wax, and remove that tri-bar pony emblem from the front grill. Not sure why they would use the same emblem on the V6...but I get the heritage of it. Just wish it was something different on the California Specials.
Thanks. I still can't decide if I want to keep the tri-bar on. Wow I didn't know tint was illegal in nj, weak sauce.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 9/6/13, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bocefus
Thanks. I still can't decide if I want to keep the tri-bar on.
I told myself "If its part of the CS Pkg Im NOT removing/replacing it".....
all except those wheels, ewww (They didnt leave the lot with the car!!!)
Old 9/6/13, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome to tms... congrats on ur purchase... u'll sure enjoy the quad exhaust n the MT... i can agree to u that auto is less engaging... however now AT with shift capability aka select shift, it is better than past.
Old 9/6/13, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone. Just got the PM from Deysha that my ETA to dealer is October 5th! Very exciting! Yeah, no tint on the front windows, Bocefus. We can only tint the back side windows and back window. I'm more disappointed in having to put on a front license plate. I bought a no-drill bracket ...though I may drive around without the plate until I get caught. That's usually how it's done here in NJ lol. I don't mind the stock wheels, but have been eying up the black Shelby CS1 wheels. Either I buy wheels or I save up for some performance upgrades. Anyone ever swap out the rear valence for the GT500 one? I have that job ahead of me. I saw some vids online showing people disconnecting the tail lights and taking off the bumper to do it. That just seems silly. Is this the only way? Thanks
Old 9/14/13, 02:51 PM

Just ordered a 2014 white GT-CS 9/2. I'm pumped for it, but the wait is absolutely killing me! All this talk about manuals has got me thinking i went wrong with the automatic tho.. Is the auto really that bad? Also what are all your thoughts on the glass roof?
Old 9/14/13, 02:52 PM

Thanks everyone. Just got the PM from Deysha that my ETA to dealer is October 5th! Very exciting! Yeah, no tint on the front windows, Bocefus. We can only tint the back side windows and back window. I'm more disappointed in having to put on a front license plate. I bought a no-drill bracket ...though I may drive around without the plate until I get caught. That's usually how it's done here in NJ lol. I don't mind the stock wheels, but have been eying up the black Shelby CS1 wheels. Either I buy wheels or I save up for some performance upgrades. Anyone ever swap out the rear valence for the GT500 one? I have that job ahead of me. I saw some vids online showing people disconnecting the tail lights and taking off the bumper to do it. That just seems silly. Is this the only way? Thanks

Hey Last1, are you north or south jersey? Also, what are your order and build dates? I'm hopig I can use them to get a guess on when mine might be ready.
Old 9/14/13, 06:42 PM

I a black 5.0 GT/CS and its an automatic. Well i must say its not slow, in fact i was at the track with test and tune with 2 other 2014 GT with 6 speeds and i ran 12.85 on street tires and they ran 13.25 with drag radials. Not saying but the Auto is nice. Just put a Boss intake on, rousch Exaust, Bama Tune, Steeda CAI. Ordering 15" rima and 275/50 MT next week.
Old 9/14/13, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Ricco, I'm in Central NJ. I ordered the car on 8/8. I got the vin on 8/31, window sticker was issued around 9/9. My build date was 9/13 (Friday the 13th!) and my ETA to dealer is 10/5. This is the second time I've special ordered a mustang and it's pretty quick this go around. If you need to track your order, send a PM to Deysha at Ford Customer Service. She's great and will help you.

I wouldn't worry so much about Automatic if that is your preference. I've read that the AT is very good and consistent in these cars. Just what ham said...very fast and reliable on times. It's just not for me.

I didn't go with the glass roof because my shaved head would get cooked in the sun and I would probably always keep that screen closed anyway. My Mazda has a moon roof and I never open it.

Good luck with your order and hang in there....It'll be worth the wait!

Last edited by Last1; 9/14/13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 9/14/13, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ham711
I a black 5.0 GT/CS and its an automatic. Well i must say its not slow, in fact i was at the track with test and tune with 2 other 2014 GT with 6 speeds and i ran 12.85 on street tires and they ran 13.25 with drag radials. Not saying but the Auto is nice. Just put a Boss intake on, rousch Exaust, Bama Tune, Steeda CAI. Ordering 15" rima and 275/50 MT next week.
Hey ham, I was close to ordering the same CAI/tune kit you got there but I am torn. I think that I'm going to wait a little while before I start the performance mods.

Quick Reply: Ordered a 2014 GT/CS