Notices
2011 - 2014 GT/CS Special Section for the California Special owners.

Newbie Rim Question

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/23, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newbie Rim Question

I am looking at some 19" rims from a 2018 Mustang GT. I have not confirmed it, but I assume they are 19x9 (as opposed to 19x8.5). The offset is likely a little lower (I think the C/S is ET50 and the 2018 is ET45, again, I have yet to confirm). Are there any issues I should be aware of or concerned about? Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11/17/23, 12:53 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,915 Posts
Welcome,

Some Specifics are Imperative As To What You Are Looking At & What You are Driving?

A pic of the Wheels You are Looking At & Any Id#'s on Back of Rim For Actual Size.

What Exactly You are Putting The Wheels on as Far as Year Model & Standard or Big Brakes ??

I Realize you are in The Gt/Cs Section But That is Assuming on My Part and With Wheel Fit You Need Absolutes.

Kc
The following users liked this post:
MerlinGS (11/17/23)
Old 11/17/23, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Welcome,

Some Specifics are Imperative As To What You Are Looking At & What You are Driving?

A pic of the Wheels You are Looking At & Any Id#'s on Back of Rim For Actual Size.

What Exactly You are Putting The Wheels on as Far as Year Model & Standard or Big Brakes ??

I Realize you are in The Gt/Cs Section But That is Assuming on My Part and With Wheel Fit You Need Absolutes.

Kc
Thanks for the response. As I explained, at the moment I lack some of the specifics about the rims, but I am trying to at least make sure I understand the issues. The model and yr are 2013 CS, convertible. I am not sure about the brakes, but I am guessing they are the standard brake size that came with the 2013 CS. Assuming I am correct about the width of the rims (19x9 as opposed to 19.8.5) and the offeset (I think the C/S is ET50 and the 2018 are ET45). Are there any issues I should be aware of or concerned about? Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks again for your time and patience.
+
Old 11/17/23, 04:33 PM

Can You Find Them Here??

Looks Like A Lot of Choices! Different Widths and Some Staggerd! OffSet Can Cause Issues With Wheels Having Interference With Either Fender or Suspension. Wheel Id Should Help With Comments.

KC
MerlinGS (11/17/23)
Old 11/17/23, 04:41 PM

They are not staggered. The photo I got is identical to the bottom left corner rim (#7). If the info is correct then they are the same size as the CS (19x8.5). The image does not state what the offset is. Any thoughts?
Old 11/17/23, 05:12 PM

• 2011 GT/CS Styling
  • 10 Spoke Design
  • Black Finish with Machined Accents
  • 19x8.5 - Front or Rear
  • Sold Individually
  • Fits all 2010-2014 Mustang Models
Wheel Diameter 19 Inch Wheel Width 8.50 Inches Wheel Color Black, Black Chrome Wheel Offset 30mm Wheel Style Custom Wheel Finish Gloss Wheel Model 11/12 GT/CS Style

Wheel Backspacing 5.932 Inch, 150.7mm Wheel Placement Front or Rear Wheel Material Aluminum Wheel Size 19x8.5 Wheel Bolt Pattern 5 x 114.3mm (5 x 4.5-Inch)
  • 2015 Style Magnetic Mustang Wheel
  • Sporty 10 Spoke Design
  • Gloss Black Finish
  • 19x8.5 - Front or Rear
  • Fits All 2015 to 2023 GT, EcoBoost, and V6 Mustangs
Wheel Diameter 19 Inch Wheel Width 8.50 Inches Wheel Color Black, Black Chrome Wheel Offset 30mm Wheel Style Custom Wheel Finish Gloss Wheel Model Magnetic Style

Wheel Backspacing 5.932 Inch, 150.7mm Wheel Placement Front or Rear Wheel Material Aluminum Wheel Size 19x8.5 Wheel Bolt Pattern 5 x 114.3mm (5 x 4.5-Inch)

I Compared 2 Different 19x8.5 Wheels From Ford Racing One S-197 Style One S-550 Style. Looks The Same! Was Not Expecting That!

I Did See Somewhere The Bore of The Later Wheel Was Just a Smidge Smaller That Earlier Wheel!

May Need to Use a Different Lugnut For Clearance With Lug Wrench. I Dont Believe Later Lug Nuts As Supplied on 2015Up Will Work right With Your Wheel Studs.

Anybody Else Use The S-550 Wheel Out There & Have Some Feedback??

I Don't Want to Steer You Wrong No Pun Intended!

Scroll Down Here!

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...fset-explained

KC

Old 11/17/23, 05:33 PM

That's interesting. When I look up my rims (CS 2013) at this site, it states that the bore for the rim that has the 245 / 45 R19 tires (which mine have) is 70.5 mm, but the link you provided states the hub is 70.6 mm. Is there a problem if I use the lug nuts provided for my wheel studs with the S-550 wheels in a 2013 CS? I apologize the that is a dumb question.
Old 11/17/23, 05:38 PM

Oh FYI, We Are All Learning Something New Everytime a New Member Has a Question! Info Changes as the Years Roll on! So Feel Free To Ask Till it's Clear to You!

Ok Got to Thinking I Been Fooling Around With My take Off Wheels For Years And Have Never Final Installed Them. Here is the Deal the Hole Where The Studs Go Through on the S-550 Wheels Will Be Bigger. Now Since it Is Conical Seat it Will Work But a Better Way to go Which are a Special Old School Lug Nut Works on My S-550 20x9 Wheels and Also I Got these Because I Needed Some More Thread Engagement with the Front Spacers.

They Have a Extended Tip Which Fits Perfectly Inside the Larger S-550 Wheels. They are for An Old 4 Lug Aplication So You Have To get 5 Sets! This Works For Me on My take Offs But I Can't See Why They Would Not Work on Yours! Of Course They are Chrome!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-27804-4

I Have These Lugs And Have Physically Checked Them For Fit & They are My Magic Lug Nuts For The Swap! It Had Been So Long Since I Fooled With them I Had Half Forgot the In's & Outs!

KC

MerlinGS (11/17/23)
Old 11/17/23, 06:11 PM

Thanks, if I end up acquiring the s-550 rims (very likely), I'll go ahead and order 5 sets of the lugs suggested. Thanks!
05stangkc (11/17/23)
Old 11/18/23, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,031 Posts
ask the seller for photos of the markings on the back of the wheels, to confirm the specs, sizes, manufacturer, etc.

the offset specs on S550 are slightly different from S197; generally the offset is lower on the S550 wheels, which makes them "poke" a little on S197 cars

also the TPMS sensors are different from S197 to S550 -- S550 sensors will not work in S197 car

personally I would not put an S550 wheel on an S197 car, there are plenty of S197 wheels out there to choose from
Old 11/18/23, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
ask the seller for photos of the markings on the back of the wheels, to confirm the specs, sizes, manufacturer, etc.

the offset specs on S550 are slightly different from S197; generally the offset is lower on the S550 wheels, which makes them "poke" a little on S197 cars

also the TPMS sensors are different from S197 to S550 -- S550 sensors will not work in S197 car

personally I would not put an S550 wheel on an S197 car, there are plenty of S197 wheels out there to choose from

@MerlinGS

Okay Bert You Got Me Thinking Even More Than I Have Been About this Wheel Topic. As I Said Before I Have Been Fooling With these For Years But Never Finalized My Install So Everything is a Bit Fuzzy. I Went Out & Checked My 20x9 S550 Wheels With a Shelby CS67 Wheel Also in 20x9. It Appears My First Thought was Yes They Would Poke Out & Then I Get Those FRPP Wheel Specs Which I Did Not Trust 100%. Did More Research This Morning and It Seems Everywhere I Check I Get a Different Spec. In my Case I Got Two Free Sets of S-550 Wheels So it Was Not My First Choice But Heh Free! Now That I Think about it More Since My Car Has 18x9.5 Wheels the Likely Scenario with the 20X9's Would Put Me Back To About the Same Stick Out As it Were. I Never Went All the Way & Drove to Check For Interfearence in Every Scenario. It Has Been Too Long Since I Did the Hands On Checking Clearances.

Anywhoo So I Believe My Initial thoughts Before Likely Bogus FRPP Specs and Your thoughts on the OP'S Wheels That They Will Stick Further Out Than the Original. Now The Saving Grace in the Op's Case is If He is Looking At a 19x8.5 The Stick Out Should Be Managable. A Wider Wheel From the Start Would More Likely Cause Issues. This is About Answering The Question Asked. I Never Did Ask if it Was Just a Super Cheap Deal or He Just Likes The Look of The Wheel. I Don't Know Why Ford Wheels are So Hard to get Correct Info On!

I Do Agree a Different TPMS Will Need to Be Used on S-550 Wheel and Also Had Forgot to Mention that the 2015 Up Wheels Use a Much Smaller Center Cap So If Wheels Need Caps You Will Have To Use Later Ones! I Also verified the Later Wheels Have a Bigger Lug Opening Than The S-197's. I had Seen in Other Forums Where They Said. You Can Not Go the Other Way As in S-197 Wheels on an S-550 Because The Hole in the Stud Hole Would Be too Small! That is Where Those Lugs I Showed Really Work Slick. I Will Advise I'm Playing With OEM Wheels and The Thickness of the Flange Has To Be Thick Enough So the Lug Does Not Bottom Out! So Beware If Somebody Out There Tries Those on an Aftermarket Wheel! Got to Check.

Oh Well Bert, Glad You Got Me Digging Some More and Hate to Throw Out Doubt to the OP But When Retrofitting A Little Trial & Error By Somebody Has to Get Done! As To The Op Are Those Wheels Local Where You Can Do Some Testing or Are They Online! I Wish I Could Be More Difinitive on This But It Seems to Keep Evolving!

Oh Then There are Tires! I think if it Were Me If the Wheels Have Tires Check Em in the Front First For Clearance. If Your Using Your Existing GT/CS Tires I Would Mount One & test Before Mounting Up a Set With Sensors & Being Disappointed!

KC
Old 11/18/23, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bert

Thanks for the info. I bought the rims before I read your post. The size is 19x8.5, the same as my current rims. The offset is 42.5, so it should not be much of an issue (the original offset is 50). The sensors are an issue, which means I will have to use the sensors from the rims I am disposing of (I will be keeping the original CS rims and the newly acquired S550). I got a great price on the S550s (US$230 for all 4) and they are in mint condition, and yes, I like them. The rims do not need caps, so that is not a problem. That leaves me with a question relating to the lugs. According to this website, the lug nut size for my rims is M12x1.75. However, the nuts above are not metric (half inch is close, but not exactly the same an M12. Amazon.ca (I'm in Canada) has
these these
lugs. I don't know if they will fit the rims in the same fashion as the suggested Cragar lugs, but I can always test and see. However, the descriptions states they are M12x1.5 thread size - 1.75 inch length. Does that mean the thread is too short? Again, thanks for everyone's help thus far.

Last edited by MerlinGS; 11/18/23 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11/18/23, 09:51 PM

I'm Sorry For the Foggy Answers Here & There My Health Issues Sometimes Get the Best of Me as Far as Recall & the Stamina to Do Exhaustive Research I Did Back in the Day Also Access To Actual Ford Parts Database.

On the Lugs Though I Do Believe You Need 1/2 Inch. Here Are The Parts Catalogs I Use Online For Ford Parts and What it Shows. I Can't Imagine Canada Would Use Different Studs than US But Here is What I Am Finding!
Because oF the Huge Selection of Different Lug Nuts Searching For the Studs Size Narrows it Down. Although on An Oem Replacement The F&R Studs Can Be Different The Threads Will Of Course Be The Same!

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts....html?pnc=1107
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-whe...iABEgJp-fD_BwE
Shows Same Part Number as Ford Parts Giant Which Says 1/2 Inch

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/fi...eel-stud.c7413
Advance Also Shows 1/2 Inch

I tried Rock Auto For Lug Nuts and it Was Mr Toads Wild Ride! But Go to Wheel Studs & It is Pretty Clear!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,lug+stud,7680

I Did a Lot More Digging on this Question To Set Your Mind at Ease But try a Wheel Stud Search Vs Lug Nut Search For Your 2013 & I think You Will See The 1/2 Inch Listings!

Yes $230.00 is Quite a Deal!

KC
Old 11/18/23, 10:25 PM

I'm Sorry For the Foggy Answers Here & There My Health Issues Sometimes Get the Best of Me as Far as Recall & the Stamina to Do Exhaustive Research I Did Back in the Day Also Access To Actual Ford Parts Database.
I really appreciate your help, if I added stress to your health issues, please accept my sincere apologies.
On the Lugs Though I Do Believe You Need 1/2 Inch. Here Are The Parts Catalogs I Use Online For Ford Parts and What it Shows. I Can't Imagine Canada Would Use Different Studs than US But Here is What I Am Finding!
Despite the fact that we use the metric system in Canada, it would be absurd for Canadian and American vehicles to be using different standards. I concur, the most likely unit of measure is imperial. Since there is no rush in ordering the lugs, I think the simplest strategy is to either use one of the extra lugs I have and test them or just ask the mechanic (I'll most likely end up doing both ). Considering the thorough research and information you provided, my guess is that I will most likely end up purchasing the Cragar lugs. It is highly unlikely I would have ever found out about the aforementioned lugs without your guidance and direction, so once again, thanks for all your patience, time, and assistance.

Old 11/18/23, 10:47 PM

You Are Quite Welcome!

The Lug Trick is a Bit Out of the Box and Your Stock Lugs Can Work But I Like The Idea Of The Larger Hole Having That Insert For Stability. Also It Gives More Thread Bite. Years of Being a Ford Parts Manager Makes Me very Aware of What I Advise & Share Especially When it is Safety Related and is Ingrained in Me as For Years What I Said Represented The Dealer I Worked For Along With My Own Responsibility.

I will Try & Add Some Pics To Illustrate the Lug Setup & How Important The Flange Thickness of The Wheel in Relation to The Extended Tip Clearance is.As Previously Mentioned in Post 11. So to Expand on the Mention, Basically The Tip of The Cragar Lug Nut Needs to Be Recessed Back in the Wheel Hole about a 1/8 Inch or More Otherwise it Would Bottom Out on Rotor & Wheel Would Not Tighten Properly. On my S-550 Wheels It's Just About Perfect. Any Less Clearance and the Lugs Would Need To Be Shortened a Bit. Also if That where the Case They Would Need To Be Done in a Manner as Not to Invite Cracks Such as a Hap Hazard Hasty Quick Trip on a Bench Grinder Leaving a Lot of Nicks & Cuts. Tip Would Need to Be Done in Smooth Uniform Fashion.

One Thing I try & Stress These Days as an Administrator Here is That One Thread Can Be Read Many Thousands of Times So We Need to Be Mindful of What We Post! I Personally Have 19 Year old Posts Still Generating Questions. We Here at TMS Need to Be Aware What We Post Can Be Around For a Long Time. I Appreciate The Questions Like Yourself Ask So We Can Address it And Help Countless Others With The Best Info Out There. Sometimes it Takes One Member Sometimes Maybe Half a Dozen to Hash Out A Question.

We Have a Lot of Older Members Here and Some Were Fairly Young When We Joined. The Health Issues are Out There and a Couple of Members Had Some Pretty Close Calls Here Recently. I Only Mentioned Mine so you Would Understand Why I Was a Bit Foggy Here & There. Somedays Not an Issue, Others Really Bad. I Knew The Lug Trick Was not a Obvious Mod So I Had To Share That One!

I will Wake Up in the Middle of The Night Sometimes With Answers to Thread Questions. Just How My Parts Brain Works! It's Just Moving Slower Than it Did in My Prime! Actually Editing This Post at 4:00 AM. I get Insomnia All the Time! Just Happens!

We Look Forward to some Pics of Your New Wheels On The Car and How it All Works Out! I Need to Finalize Mine But Something Always Pulls Me To Another Responsibility!

As a Final Note I Know It's Really Nice When the Op Shows Appreciation For the Time Invested To Answer Questions By Other Members. It's The Polite Thing to Do and Lacking in a Lot of Threads as Well as Aspects of daily Life Anymore!

Thank You For The Kind Comments!

Best Regards,

KC

Just For Fun Here is a Pic of My First S197 Back in November 05 Test Fitting Shelby Wheel Company Prototype Wheels! I Had A Few Styles For Display and Was The First FORD Dealer to Sign on as a Distributor I Got to Keep Them And Only Have the One 20x9 Cs67 Left!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/27/23 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 11/19/23, 02:38 PM

Pics Are Worth a Thousand Words!

Pictured Are The ET Style Magic Lugs! NOTE. {The Extension is Not a Tight Fit in The S-550 Wheel Bore as it Would Be if Your are Using Et Lugs with S-197 Wheels. Still a Benefit to Close The Gap & Add Thread Count!

Other Brands Available Search For Et Style 1/2 Inch Lug Nuts! Watch Carefully the Length of Extension. Most I Have Found are .33 I Like The Cragar Lugs as They are High Quality! Link Above! The Cragar Lugs Use a 3/4 Lug Wrencg So If You Carry a Spare Wheel Make Sure You Have a Setup Which Fits Not only the Lug But into the Recesses of The Wheel!

The Solid Chrome Style Replacement I Use For the {Stamped OEM Cap Lug Nuts Which Won't Take an Impact too Many Times!} These Solid Ones Hold Up Well!

The Lugs As Seen From Behind The 20x9 2016-2017 Oem Ford Mustang Wheel!

I Don't Know About You But I Like The Extra Threads at The Very Least. You Can See on My Wheel the ET Style Lug Has Just Enough Space To Not Bottom Out. Every Application Would Need To Be Cross Checked. Also Check that Your Studs By Running Down Lug By Hand On Front & Back to Make Sure Studs are Not Too Long and Lug Tops Out on Stud!

Attention to All Who Read This Down The Road This S-550 on S-197 Info is My Opinion Only. Do Your Own Research Before Attempting and Use Info at Your Own Risk. Too Many Years at a Ford Dealer and I Tend to Err on the Side of Caution and Have to Sometimes State The Obvious. But Depending on the Readers Automotive Knowledge You Really Need To Over Explain At times! We All Know About You tube Vids and How 10 Different Ones Show Ten Different Ways to Do Something and Some are Quite Questionable.

If you are Uncomfortable With This Fix for The S-550 Wheel Stud Hole Being Larger Do Not Attempt.

ET Lug Vs Solid Style Lug

Et Lug Vs Solid Lug Thread Length

Et Lug Bore Angle Lug At Max Length I Would Go With! Must Verify Lug Will Go All the Way Down Stud Testing With Wheel Off!

Solid Lug Bore Angle

KC
Old 11/21/23, 10:08 AM

Your first S197 was (is?) a beauty. I will try and post some pics with my current wheels (standard CS). I will not be mounting the S550 rims until April 2023. I'll take some photos with the "new" rims then and post. Again, your info has been great, and your care for providing proper information is commendable. Thanks!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/27/23 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo correction
05stangkc (11/21/23)
Old 11/27/23, 11:26 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by MerlinGS
I am looking at some 19" rims from a 2018 Mustang GT. I have not confirmed it, but I assume they are 19x9 (as opposed to 19x8.5). The offset is likely a little lower (I think the C/S is ET50 and the 2018 is ET45, again, I have yet to confirm). Are there any issues I should be aware of or concerned about? Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks
Welcome aboard.. Perhaps you may also consider posting some pics of your Mustang, as I'm sure we all would be very interested.