Notices
2011 - 2014 GT/CS Special Section for the California Special owners.

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/14, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. I'm actually amazed at how refined it is.
Cool thanks. I'm seriously considering this mod. My GT500s have started to break in nicely.

How did the sound change when you removed the resonators? Did it get any louder, deeper?
Old 6/19/14, 08:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am looking at the gt500 and Roush... From the sounds of it, it would be wiser to get the gt500 to start with on a bone stock gt then just delete the resonators if it's not loud enough? Because you can't really go backwards if the Roush is too loud... Granted they sound amazing in all of te vids I've seen..

I'm looking for the deep throaty sound but want it to be drone free and tame enough to carry clients in the passenger seat.
Old 6/20/14, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on the Roush. with just the axlebacks alone they are great because they are still quiet when you want them to be, no drone but sound great when you mash the throttle.
Old 6/20/14, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever

Cool thanks. I'm seriously considering this mod. My GT500s have started to break in nicely.

How did the sound change when you removed the resonators? Did it get any louder, deeper?
I'd say it made them about 20% louder and deeper, and it brought out the gurgle and popping on deceleration. Idle volume isn't increased much.

If you want to get them deleted, it should cost about $60-$80 if you don't do it yourself.
Old 6/20/14, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KushBandit
I'd say it made them about 20% louder and deeper, and it brought out the gurgle and popping on deceleration. Idle volume isn't increased much. If you want to get them deleted, it should cost about $60-$80 if you don't do it yourself.
This answers my concern... It sounds like you can't go wrong getting the gt500 and testing it out before removing the resonators. I want a deep smooth tone that is noticeably louder on throttle but doesn't drone my face off and draw too much attention when cruising. Sounds like I can always get the resonators taken off or add an x pipe if the sound isn't enough. From the videos I've seen, the axleback might enough on it's own to fit my needs... Plus it's cheap! :P
Old 6/20/14, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0

This answers my concern... It sounds like you can't go wrong getting the gt500 and testing it out before removing the resonators. I want a deep smooth tone that is noticeably louder on throttle but doesn't drone my face off and draw too much attention when cruising. Sounds like I can always get the resonators taken off or add an x pipe if the sound isn't enough. From the videos I've seen, the axleback might enough on it's own to fit my needs... Plus it's cheap! :P
Definitely can't go wrong with GT500 with no resonators. Plus, with it being a cheap setup as you said, it won't hurt your wallet if you don't like the setup.

I'm planning on an O/R X-pipe to get them a bit louder. Lately I've been thinking about some Borlas or Corsa mufflers, but these GT500 AB's have a nice luxury of being quiet when you want it. No drone either!

I look at it like this.

GT500; stock sounding, with more gurgle and throat.

GT500+no resonators; a loud and throaty note at WOT, yet low and crisp under 3500rpm. Can be heard from 2-3 blocks away at WOT.

Roush/Corsa; if you want people 4-5 blocks away to hear you at WOT
Old 6/21/14, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So the resonator delete isn't raspy? I was thinking of it but listened to one video that had a raspy sound when he revved it...I love the GT500's, wouldn't mind it a little louder (though it really is pretty loud, but not obnoxiously so, at WOT). I just love the old school deep and throaty exhaust sound. Is it any louder at idle? Any downside to removing them?
Old 6/21/14, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
So the resonator delete isn't raspy? I was thinking of it but listened to one video that had a raspy sound when he revved it...I love the GT500's, wouldn't mind it a little louder (though it really is pretty loud, but not obnoxiously so, at WOT). I just love the old school deep and throaty exhaust sound. Is it any louder at idle? Any downside to removing them?
No rasp whatsoever. I actually want a little rasp, so I'm going to throw on an o/r x-pipe when I decide to tune the car.

No downside that I can think of, except maybe if you have neighbors that don't appreciate a cold-startup lol. The idle is definitely louder, as is WOT. Actually, it's louder across the entire spectrum. I honestly think popping out the resonators is the only way to go with GT500s.

It's as close as I think one can get to an old school sound without going with a mid-muffler design. The stainless works retro mufflers are great at old school tone as well.

Last edited by KushBandit; 6/21/14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 6/28/14, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

and one thing, the GT500's are definitely much louder than stock, not just deeper, etc. That was the first thing I noticed when I had them added...."finally, I can hear the exhaust"!!!!
Old 6/29/14, 05:15 AM
GT Member

Okay, good! I keep hearing that they are not much louder and was hoping they were more noticeable than stock and not just deeper. Makes my decision easier
Old 6/29/14, 06:52 AM
Cobra Member

Oh yeah, when you nail it, you can hear them....I came out of the subdivision one day and nailed it and there were some guys working and boy did their heads snap around...even some guys older than me at a gas station both nodded their heads and said, boy that sounds real good, when i started it up. I am at the age I don't need it super loud like I did when I was younger, I just like the fact it is louder than stock and has that deeper old school sound....
Old 6/29/14, 01:47 PM
GT Member

[QUOTE="JCStang;6821847"]Oh yeah, when you nail it, you can hear them....I came out of the subdivision one day and nailed it and there were some guys working and boy did their heads snap around...even some guys older than me at a gas station both nodded their heads and said, boy that sounds real good, when i started it up. I am at the age I don't need it super loud like I did when I was younger, I just like the fact it is louder than stock and has that deeper old school sound....[/QUOTE

This post has sold me on the gt500 mufflers haha I'm going to order then ASAP, just not sure if I should do the valance and get quads
Old 6/29/14, 01:58 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Just ordered them today. Late Model Restoration has them for $280, free shipping...best price I've seen.

We'll have to share notes when we get them installed.

Tom
Old 6/29/14, 03:06 PM
GT Member

I just saw that! Did you get it before they ran out of stock, because it says they are out now :/ if they were how long til you would get it?
Old 6/29/14, 03:12 PM
FR500 Member

Hmmm....hadn't seen that. My order was accepted, got an email that they'd let me know the shipping tracking info. I'm guessing it'll be tomorrow during the business day.

I hope it's not back ordered. I got myself all fired up today reading posts and watching YouTube muffler videos.

I WANT IT NOW!!!

Tom

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 6/29/14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 6/30/14, 09:21 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
I just saw that! Did you get it before they ran out of stock, because it says they are out now :/ if they were how long til you would get it?
I got an email today advising that my order has been shipped, but actual tracking info won't be available until later. I may have gotten the last set until they re-stock on 7/3.

I'm hoping I get them by Thursday and I can make an appointment for installation before the weekend so I can compete with fireworks explosions.

Tom
Old 6/30/14, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Lucky you, I just hit my monthly bonus at work so I will be ordering tonight
Old 6/30/14, 06:17 PM
FR500 Member

Just got confirmation that Big Brown will be stopping by on Thursday. I forgot that Friday was a holiday (easy to forget days of the week when you're retired), and I can't get my GT500s installed until Tuesday.

Woe is me.

Tom
Old 6/30/14, 07:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Just got confirmation that Big Brown will be stopping by on Thursday. I forgot that Friday was a holiday (easy to forget days of the week when you're retired), and I can't get my GT500s installed until Tuesday. Woe is me. Tom
You have a jack and jack stands? It's supposedly VERY easy to swap the axlebacks, could have a neighborhood kid come over to help?
Old 6/30/14, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

You have a jack and jack stands? It's supposedly VERY easy to swap the axlebacks, could have a neighborhood kid come over to help?
Extremely easy, unless you don't like being on your back

Quick Reply: Exhaust System