Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/13, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Had a little spirited driving this morning. Invos broke loose in first & second gears under only 3/4 throttle. Must be due to only 50F here this morning.
Old 5/3/13, 01:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Had the Nitto Invos put on our 20s. Dry traction is better than the DWS on our staggered wheels. The tire is softer so I hear it more at very low speeds.

I'm waiting for it to rain so I can test the grip in the wet stuff.

More updates in a few weeks.
Post up with the updates and i will add them!!

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Running Nitto 555's up front, 275/35/20, Nitto 555r's out back, 305/35/20. When warm, these tires actually grip on a launch with my '13 Shelby on a street. No, it's not a complete grab, but for these DR's to hold onto a non-dragstrip surface (when sufficiently warm) with as much as half throttle from a dead stop is hard to believe. I've run track apps and recorded 0-60 times of just over 4.5 seconds (again, on a street, and without launch control), which is quite impressive. The 555's up front are a significant improvement over OEM, they will stick like glue in anything over 75 degrees. Wet traction is not the best, but driving carefully in the rain should be common sense anyway. These will get you where you need to go, as long as you remember you're driving a muscle car in the rain. I have had one slip from the rears in wet, none from the front. Excellent, excellent tires.
Man this makes me want those 555r's. Added!

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
** UPDATE: Just returned home from a 5,600 miles trip to the southwestern US. These tires exceeded every expectation. A horrible rainstorm was encountered for hours in AL and MS on the way out and the traction was superb with no hydroplaning at highway speeds. Complete confidence! The handling on a very twisty section of Rte 66 in AZ was also excellent. The beading is also not an issue (like the original BFG) as there was no air loss whatsoever. The tread wear appears to be very good and the mostly highway miles were very comfortable. I realize these are not inexpensive tires but I highly recommend them for those seeking quality.
Thanks for the update! I added it to your original review!!
Old 7/5/13, 07:31 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere CPotts, but the PS2 you have in your leading post is Michelin's previous summer tire, it has been preceded by the Pilot Super Sport.

Its not really designed with all-weather (edit: per J's quote) in mind but works well until the temp drops below 40 degrees or so and possibly lower provided it doesn't snow.

Last edited by bob; 7/5/13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 8/22/13, 04:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a summer tire, the Conti ExtremeContact DW is a superb tire. Good dry/wet performance, resists hydroplaning more than other summer tires I've driven on, quiet, and offers plenty of grip.
Old 9/14/13, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation

After I replaced my front stock pirellis 255/40R19 that came stock mounted in my 9x19 stock wheels (part of Brembo pkg). Steering felt fine at low speed with the 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot SS, very quick but on a long drive at speeds 80-90 mph, I have to be very concentrated on my driving, if not very easy it will steer to any side with any slight movement of my hands, that felts unsafe ( rear tires handle great), I do not know if that's is because of the wider size 275/40R19 or that now they are Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I kept the stock 35 psi in all tires. (My '11 GT before it was lowered with STEEDA springs with my stock pirellis without any issue). Please advice.

Last edited by M3hunter; 9/14/13 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12/30/13, 04:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a little weird. I'm also upgrading to that size but in the Pilot Sport A/S + so I can get to work in the winter/snow. I will write up something in a couple of months once I have had a chance to get on the road. I have the stock Pirelli's now and they are like blocks of ice when it hits less than 50 outside.
Old 12/31/13, 07:03 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
That's a little weird. I'm also upgrading to that size but in the Pilot Sport A/S + so I can get to work in the winter/snow. I will write up something in a couple of months once I have had a chance to get on the road. I have the stock Pirelli's now and they are like blocks of ice when it hits less than 50 outside.

Michelin is replacing the Pilot A/S plus with the A/S 3, you might want to look into those as replacement tires ( road hazard damage, defects, et al ) could become problematic as the A/S plus sells out and isn't replaced.
Old 12/31/13, 10:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have a full set brand new sitting in my garage waiting for me to get back. I know they are getting replaced my the A/S 3 and the discounted price paid for the shipping basically so I'm cool with it. If something happens to them then I will use the warranty from Michellin. They are made in Germany anyway so it should be much of an issue and they may end up replacing them with the new version. In sets of course. I have had Michellins before and they wore all the way to the bars very evenly with side to side rotation so I wanted to see what the top of the food chain was like this time around. The last ones were the MXM4's that came on my C300 Benz. I'm rather hard on tires most of the time but regularly rotate at 5K miles.
Old 1/1/14, 07:28 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have a full set brand new sitting in my garage waiting for me to get back. I know they are getting replaced my the A/S 3 and the discounted price paid for the shipping basically so I'm cool with it. If something happens to them then I will use the warranty from Michellin. They are made in Germany anyway so it should be much of an issue and they may end up replacing them with the new version. In sets of course. I have had Michellins before and they wore all the way to the bars very evenly with side to side rotation so I wanted to see what the top of the food chain was like this time around. The last ones were the MXM4's that came on my C300 Benz. I'm rather hard on tires most of the time but regularly rotate at 5K miles.
Michelin's quality controls are top notch no matter where they are manufactured, I was just thinking about the replacement aspect mainly if its a non- warranty issue like a road hazard otherwise Michelin is pretty good about covering the stated warranty.
Old 1/1/14, 10:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's stated that if you mix the A/S+ and 3 it's fine to do it in sets. I'm good with that too.

Say I get a flat and have to replace one tire. I will get a set of the new ones if they aren't selling the + anymore and sell the take off that wasn't flat that was replaced with the set.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 1/1/14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 1/28/14, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Okay so to update on the new tires I put on my car so far. I have driven them in heavy snow on the way to work and they did pretty well given how much torque my car has and the width of my tires. I'm impressed. Also in the rain they are outstanding. Dry it's hard to believe. I have to really push them hard to get them to break loose. Money well spent.
Old 12/4/14, 11:10 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for all the reviews. Everyone has different feelings about tires, but reading all the comments I found very helpful. As I’m in the process of replacing the 4 year old, starting to dry rot, stock Pirellis. Again Thank you.
Old 12/16/15, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
We got caught in a torrential downpour just outside St. Louis with the Nitto Invo tires. Even with inches of standing water on the road, I never felt nervous driving up to 50mph. Speed only limited by visibility, not traction.

Bad news is I only got 10,000 miles out of the rear tires. Fronts have at least 50% tread left. I wonder why that is?
Old 12/20/15, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

As posted on Tirerack under the tire reviews: I bought these tires to go on a 2014 Mustang GT. They did not disappoint me last winter. I expected them to be good, but they surprised me by how good they actually are. I am not foolish enough that I would head out in a 12 inch snow storm and expect to go wherever I wanted to. They did more than expected when it snowed as I was out, or overnight and I needed to get to work the next morning. In the typical packed snow on the roads, with or without loose snow on top, I was able to maintain control. Start, stop and turn when I wanted to. Occasionally, I passed SUV's on the highway. In a 425 hp rear wheel drive car, in the snow, I have no business passing 4 wheel drive's. The road handling of these tires really provide a level of confidence that I am in control which was exactly what I was looking for from this package. Where I live in eastern Pennsylvania, we get maybe 10 - 15 days where snow is on the roads. During those days, I want to keep my car, and me, from a slow moving slide into something else. These tires give me a great chance to maintain that as long as I do not do anything knuckle-headed. If you are n the market for snow tires, I recommend these bad boys.
Attached Thumbnails Mustanger's Guide to Perfect Tires-image.jpg  

Last edited by PA-Fatboy; 12/20/15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12/20/15, 03:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by PA-Fatboy
Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 As posted on Tirerack under the tire reviews: I bought these tires to go on a 2014 Mustang GT. They did not disappoint me last winter. I expected them to be good, but they surprised me by how good they actually are. I am not foolish enough that I would head out in a 12 inch snow storm and expect to go wherever I wanted to. They did more than expected when it snowed as I was out, or overnight and I needed to get to work the next morning. In the typical packed snow on the roads, with or without loose snow on top, I was able to maintain control. Start, stop and turn when I wanted to. Occasionally, I passed SUV's on the highway. In a 425 hp rear wheel drive car, in the snow, I have no business passing 4 wheel drive's. The road handling of these tires really provide a level of confidence that I am in control which was exactly what I was looking for from this package. Where I live in eastern Pennsylvania, we get maybe 10 - 15 days where snow is on the roads. During those days, I want to keep my car, and me, from a slow moving slide into something else. These tires give me a great chance to maintain that as long as I do not do anything knuckle-headed. If you are n the market for snow tires, I recommend these bad boys.
Nice car!
Nice review.
BTW, just how fat are you, PA-Fatboy?
Old 3/7/16, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am running staggered Silver AMR rims, front 285/35R19, rear 255/40R19 on the rears with Mickey Thompson street comp tires. These things grip like duct tape on a hot summer day. I can corner at 60 mph with no fish tailing. Under 50 degrees is a whole other story. Same turn on a cold day, watch out on the foot my friend. I have never driven them in the snow, I have owned the car for just under a year.