Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

I need some advise on tires

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/15, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Wait. I'm about to drop my panties on MPSS's over Toyo Proxes T1's because they have better treadwear ratings @ 300 (vs. 240). Impression has been that the Michelins are the best tires, awesome grip, last longer, and would still have a good traction even after wearing out.

Heard that some of the performance summer tires are good at first but loose their goodnesses after miles (stock Pirellis). Are you sure Michelins don't hold their value??
Old 12/25/15, 02:19 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Are you sure Michelins don't hold their value??
--
Hi Paul. Here's my issues with my MPSS:
* $$ expensive.
* they take 1-2 laps to get heat in them (road course).
* show a lot of wear on the outside tread blocks after only a handful of track days.
* rougher ride and noisier on the street compared with previous tires I had.
* dry grip is very good, but I have not gotten to 'OMG' status on the track yet with them that many other drivers claim...maybe it's just me...
Old 12/25/15, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Strange. I thought being pricey only because of their performance n value. What you described here is the complete opposite of my expectations. and Noisy? They're supposed to be one of the quietest tires out there. I might have to rethink my strategy.
Old 12/25/15, 02:57 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Strange. I thought being pricey only because of their performance n value. What you described here is the complete opposite of my expectations. and Noisy? They're supposed to be one of the quietest tires out there. I might have to rethink my strategy.
---
Me, too, Paul. I was so excited to get these MPSS onto my car for street + occasional track duty. Grip is better on the track than my previous tires, but not amazingly better...just...better. And definitely firmer/harsher/noisier on the street. But start a new 'MPSS share your experience' thread on TMS and see what the others say. It may be that I have my expectations set too high, because of the $ price. But I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a cheaper tire when these wear out.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 12/25/15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12/25/15, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Price and treadwear numbers do not necessarily make it good or bad tire. Treadwear numbers are only specific to that manufacture and are only a guide. There are tires out there that are greatly overpriced like anything.