Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension to make CS not float

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/13, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted to get the opinion of people. I want my GT to not float so much in the corners. I don't want to lower the car though.

What mods would help this? Open to all suggestions other than lowering the car.

This is my DD in the north east. So it's a year round, used in snow car.

Last edited by Ethanjbeau; 3/9/13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 3/9/13, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Could sway bar be an option? Upgraded them on my 2005 Mazda 6 and noticed a world of difference.
Old 3/9/13, 02:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Wanted to get the opinion of people. I want my GT to not float so much in the corners. I don't want to lower the car though.

What mods would help this? Open to all suggestions other than lowering the car.

This is my DD in the north east. So it's a year round, used in snow car.
I think just popping in some shocks and struts is where I would start. The Koni strt seem a popular choice and have had nothing but great reviews. I have the koni sports and I think they are also an excellent choice.
Old 3/9/13, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

I think just popping in some shocks and struts is where I would start. The Koni strt seem a popular choice and have had nothing but great reviews. I have the koni sports and I think they are also an excellent choice.
How much does that run?
Old 3/9/13, 03:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

How much does that run?
The Koni strt are about 400 plus you need strut mounts. A lot of folks go with the gt500 mounts for 100. I believe there is a sale on Koni right now. I bought my stuff from hypermotive. I know they are on sale with them.
Old 3/9/13, 04:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd call Sam Strano. He'll quiz you for what you're after - better damping or less body roll, etc. - and give good advice.

www.stranoparts.com

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/9/13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 3/9/13, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

Will do, guys. I'll be sure to share once I make the decision
Old 3/9/13, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might be surprised by what the 55D rear springs will do for a non Brembo DD car. It firms up the roll factor along with getting rid of the rear squat under acceleration. It's a cheap and easy mod to do and will cure your ills.
Old 3/9/13, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Why are you averse to lowering? The only reason I ask is that most of the springs out there that are stiffer also lower the car. I just popped the FRPP P springs on and it lowered my car maybe .75" since I believe the Bosses are already lower. It is still drive-able since it is my DD, but it is much stiffer, has reduced some of the brake dive and body roll.
Old 3/9/13, 08:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Why are you averse to lowering? The only reason I ask is that most of the springs out there that are stiffer also lower the car. I just popped the FRPP P springs on and it lowered my car maybe .75" since I believe the Bosses are already lower. It is still drive-able since it is my DD, but it is much stiffer, has reduced some of the brake dive and body roll.
The boss springs are 1/2 lower in front and barely lower in back. I think he's concerned with clearance on poor roads.
Old 3/9/13, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

The boss springs are 1/2 lower in front and barely lower in back. I think he's concerned with clearance on poor roads.
You got it.

Roads are terrible around here for half the year. Plus the way the entrances around here are a tad bumpy. Don't wanna bottom out.
Old 3/9/13, 08:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
getting rid of the rear squat under acceleration.
The weight transfer aids in traction by design. Also provides great balance on two lane twisties if you take the curve with at least some acceleration. Eliminates any understeer. At least with Bullitt.
Old 3/9/13, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I just tracked my CS a few weeks ago at the new COTA track here in Austin. I agree with you on the "floaty" ride. My immediate plan of action includes new wheels/tires and Steeda/Koni Sport replacement dampers and springs. Hypermotive has them on sale right now for $635 I believe. (sans springs and strut mounts)

This will firm up the suspension just enough to not be so soft. The CS is pretty soft in comparison to the other Bosses and a Laguna Seca I rode in that day.

After that I think sway bars would be the next mod.

If you don't want to lower too much I can only assume that the OEM Boss springs might be a good choice?

Last edited by Ibnzmonkey; 3/9/13 at 08:42 PM.
Old 3/9/13, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

My advice based on what the OP wants is to upgrade his struts/shocks and swaybars. Personally I went with Koni struts/shocks and Eibach swaybars and have been happy with them.
Old 3/10/13, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'd call Sam Strano. He'll quiz you for what you're after - better damping or less body roll, etc. - and give good advice.

www.stranoparts.com
This.^^^
He is great to deal with and I love my set up on my 2012 C/S.
Old 3/10/13, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes. From what I've read. Sam is the man when it comes to Mustang suspension parts.
Old 3/10/13, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't think struts would fix the floating as much as springs would, I would see if someone makes a stiffer spring that doesn't lower the car. Maybe try the Boss springs for starters since the drop may be negligible.
Old 3/11/13, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I don't think struts would fix the floating as much as springs would, I would see if someone makes a stiffer spring that doesn't lower the car. Maybe try the Boss springs for starters since the drop may be negligible.
Agree with Brandon. Struts are not going to control body roll as much as springs or a sway bar. I would upgrade sway bars first. They are cheap and easy to install and wont change the ride height.
Old 3/11/13, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

How bad are these roads your on? I only ask because eventually you will want to change the springs, after changing my springs to the FRPP P springs I had hit bumps and pot holes pretty fast and haven't even hit the jounce bumpers.
Old 3/11/13, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
Agree with Brandon. Struts are not going to control body roll as much as springs or a sway bar. I would upgrade sway bars first. They are cheap and easy to install and wont change the ride height.
This is true. However lowering the COG with a little bit of spring isn't such a bad idea too.

Quick Reply: Suspension to make CS not float