Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Strut Nut vs Impact Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/13, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut Nut vs Impact Wrench

As I wait for the Steeda Sports to arrive, I'm getting my process and tools aligned for the big install. Many of the write-ups I’ve seen cover the majority of the steps adequately, but most of them gloss over the bit about the strut nuts. I have a question.

I’ve been told that an impact wrench will do the trick here, but I only have access to an 18V DeWalt that my Manager swears by. Is this nut torque-sensitive? There’s no conceivable way to measure the torque this wrench is dishing out, so what’s the best practice here? What’s the worst case scenario if this nut is over tightened?

What about the nut on the rear? I was told you basically zip it down until the bushing flattens out a bit. Any advice?

Ideally, I'll have the front strut assemblies put together before the day comes - and I rue that day. I rue it.

TIA

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/14/13 at 01:26 PM.
Old 3/14/13, 01:51 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just hammer down till the nut stops basically. It's gonna let you know when it's tight. Can't really torque it since the shaft will want to turn. It's usually a locking nut so it won't back off.
Old 3/14/13, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are they adjustable?
Old 3/14/13, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Just hammer down till the nut stops basically. It's gonna let you know when it's tight. Can't really torque it since the shaft will want to turn. It's usually a locking nut so it won't back off.
Your avatar: Fooood Fiiiiight!! Haha, where in LA are you from? I grew up on the Westbank off of Barataria Blvd. Thanks for the info.
Old 3/14/13, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by fdesalvo

Your avatar: Fooood Fiiiiight!! Haha, where in LA are you from? I grew up on the Westbank off of Barataria Blvd. Thanks for the info.
St. James parish. Dead center of Nola and B.R.
Where you staying now?
Old 3/14/13, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

St. James parish. Dead center of Nola and B.R.
Where you staying now?

I know that area well - first speeding ticket ever. I'm in Orange County, CA now. Katrina got me good. Now I'm looking out for earth quakes.
Old 3/14/13, 02:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If they are adjustable you do not want to use an impact. I used a 13/16's spark plug socket that I ground the inside out to fit a 10mm socket through. That allows you to hold the strut in place while tightening the nut. Since it is 46 lbs or so I believe hand tight should get you pretty close.
Old 3/14/13, 02:09 PM

I know that area well - first speeding ticket ever. I'm in Orange County, CA now. Katrina got me good. Now I'm looking out for earth quakes.
Damm! Sorry to hear. Katrina and Cali. Lol.
That's a big change.
Old 3/14/13, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Are they adjustable?
Originally Posted by Brandon302
If they are adjustable you do not want to use an impact. I used a 13/16's spark plug socket that I ground the inside out to fit a 10mm socket through. That allows you to hold the strut in place while tightening the nut. Since it is 46 lbs or so I believe hand tight should get you pretty close.
THese are Str.ts, so non-adjustable!

Damm! Sorry to hear. Katrina and Cali. Lol.
That's a big change.
All good now! It's a HUGE change - the mosquitos here don't even bite! I haven't seen one roach in years! It's crazy lol. So used to mother nature trying to bite and sting me.
Old 3/14/13, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Gotcha, you could use an impact then. However I would assume just like any other bolt over torquing can damage it. Check and see what special tool is used for torquing those down if you want to do it by the book.
Old 3/14/13, 02:51 PM

Gotcha, you could use an impact then. However I would assume just like any other bolt over torquing can damage it. Check and see what special tool is used for torquing those down if you want to do it by the book.
Never heard of a special tool for that or even seen the book. Lol.
Old 3/14/13, 02:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

There must be a special socket or wrench, unless they are saying you have to torque it to a spec without an impact magically. There are a bunch of strut nut removal sockets online.

Last edited by Brandon302; 3/14/13 at 02:55 PM.
Old 3/14/13, 02:59 PM

There must be a special socket or wrench, unless they are saying you have to torque it to a spec without an impact magically.
Not sure how you can torque it to a spec. Would need some type of open ended torque wrench while holding on to the end of the shaft with another wrench. Always used a 3/8 impact until the nut bottomed out. Once it's tight, it's tight. There's no force on the nut once its installed and the vehicle weight is on the struts. Just hammer down and stop before you break it.
The removal sockets or for when the shafts keep spinning and you have to hold back on the shaft to loosen them. Or if you don't have an impact.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 3/14/13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 3/14/13, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Not sure how you can torque it to a spec. Would need some type of open ended torque wrench while holding on to the end of the shaft with another wrench. Always used a 3/8 impact until the nut bottomed out. Once it's tight, it's tight. There's no force on the nut once its installed and the vehicle weight is on the struts. Just hammer down and stop before you break it.
The removal sockets or for when the shafts keep spinning and you have to hold back on the shaft to loosen them. Or if you don't have an impact.
That is the one question, how do they expect you to torque it. At this point I am just wondering why they put a torque spec on there without there being any real way of torquing it.
Old 3/14/13, 11:14 PM
GT Member

I used a wratcheting box-wrench, while holding the stud w/ a socket to prevent the shaft from spinning. Hand tight and counted threads so they match on both sides. To take of the rear shocks, I held the stud with visegrips while using the wratcheting box-wrench. I guess you have to be careful with the rears as some people have overtightened them and damaged the bushing. For the front I just swapped the whole asssembly, using autozone dustboots, frpp bumpstops and Steeda hd mounts.
Old 3/15/13, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, guys - can you answer one more - will the stick dust boot fit over the new Koni Str.t?
Old 3/15/13, 10:17 AM

Thanks, guys - can you answer one more - will the stick dust boot fit over the new Koni Str.t?
It should. The konis should be the same size. Do you have a spring compressor? Just gotta be careful with the ones from autozone.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 3/15/13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 3/15/13, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Another trick that works pretty good is using the impact gun on the top nut while holding the shaft with vice grips or channel locks to keep it from spinning. You can TQ it this way too. Easiest with an extra set of hands to hold the channel locks/Vice grips.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Put something between the teeth of the channel lock/vice grip and the strut shaft to avoid scoring the shaft. You do not want that to happen. I used some rubber weather stripping. Worked great.
Old 3/15/13, 12:16 PM
GT Member

It should. The konis should be the same size. Do you have a spring compressor? Just gotta be careful with the ones from autozone.
The stock ones fit fine. But so do the ones from autozone, the only downside is that theyre $28 for the pair.