Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Square versus staggered?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/13, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as long as the tire is the same lenth as in tallness, speedo will be the same. I switched from 19 premium wheels, 8.5 inch width to 19 inch 2013GT 500s, 8.5 up front with 10 inch on rear. the tires are overal same height , so the speedo never changed. The thing you will notice is more grip.

To add also, i got my tires from AM pre mounted and balanced, 275s were in the package. On a 10 inch rim, 275s look a bit stretched to fit on the rim. I would recommend going with 295s or 285s at least on a 10 inch rim.
Old 4/20/13, 01:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yeah I thought about getting them from AM but I know what I want and they don't sell the style or have the options with color and finish that I want either. I only want to have to buy wheels once for this car. I was planning on going as wide as I could in the rears because it just looks awesome and I definitely need more grip back there. 1st gear is useless.
Old 4/22/13, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Yeah I thought about getting them from AM but I know what I want and they don't sell the style or have the options with color and finish that I want either. I only want to have to buy wheels once for this car. I was planning on going as wide as I could in the rears because it just looks awesome and I definitely need more grip back there. 1st gear is useless.
I am pretty sure that Vorshlag was testing a 18x12 on their 2011 GT with a 315/30/18 mounted. I believe Forgestar was the maker and perhaps they will show up on the Vorshlag web site in the near future. They only sell a 18x10 right now. There is definitely room back there for a 315...maybe a 335. Although I have not seen that yet.

Maybe someone from Vorshlag will see this post and comment on my rumor mill statement.
Old 4/22/13, 11:32 AM

Actually, we (Vorshlag) sell any size Forgestar you want and will be happy to sell you an 18x11 and 18x12 set like ours once you talk to us and understand the issues that go hand and hand with running that size.

The easy button is the 18x10. Clears all the OEM setups. Square setup so it can be rotated. Good tire selection for the wheel. No spacers needed.
Old 4/22/13, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by modernbeat
Actually, we (Vorshlag) sell any size Forgestar you want and will be happy to sell you an 18x11 and 18x12 set like ours once you talk to us and understand the issues that go hand and hand with running that size.

The easy button is the 18x10. Clears all the OEM setups. Square setup so it can be rotated. Good tire selection for the wheel. No spacers needed.

And...there ya go. Thanks Jason.
Old 4/23/13, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Word. Thanks for the info.
Old 5/10/13, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pilks
Sorry maybe im confused. I meant the stock Brembo Brake Package 19 inch Wheels. With wider tires, say 275/40/19 all around (squared)
I have that size on the rear of my brembo wheels, not any issue, better handling and looks, also I will replace the front ones with same size. Many mustang gt users have done this without any rubbing issues. Best of luck and enjoy.
Old 5/10/13, 08:36 AM
V6 Member

staggered set up on mine... l like it.
Attached Thumbnails Square versus staggered?-image-4279481341.jpg  
Old 5/11/13, 10:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Very nice. I do like these a lot.
Old 5/11/13, 10:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by M3hunter
I have that size on the rear of my brembo wheels, not any issue, better handling and looks, also I will replace the front ones with same size. Many mustang gt users have done this without any rubbing issues. Best of luck and enjoy.
I have a dumb question. What advantage will you get from going square? I'm very close to going with your current set up. I've read somewhere that the smaller fronts keeps your ride comfy. I'm not trying to be a smart Alec, I would just like your insight.
Old 5/12/13, 06:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I have a dumb question. What advantage will you get from going square? I'm very close to going with your current set up. I've read somewhere that the smaller fronts keeps your ride comfy. I'm not trying to be a smart Alec, I would just like your insight.
My main reason is for rotating purposes. 60 tread wear slicks don't last long. Negative front camber and a square setup will allow for the longest lasting tread. BTW, Vorshlag guys will hook you up, help you on the phone, and have the track cred to give trustable recommendations. I'm running 305 all around on the D-force wheels.

Name:  IMG_2858_zps3268114a.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  70.8 KB
Old 5/12/13, 10:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Further

My main reason is for rotating purposes. 60 tread wear slicks don't last long. Negative front camber and a square setup will allow for the longest lasting tread. BTW, Vorshlag guys will hook you up, help you on the phone, and have the track cred to give trustable recommendations. I'm running 305 all around on the D-force wheels.
How is your ride comfort wise? I'm trying to improve handling but not sacrifice too much comfort. I read somewhere that wider front tires catch ruts easier and make steering uncomfortable. I'm worried that I will take a car I love and make it worse and not better.
Old 5/12/13, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr. V
My best answer to you is that smaller tires in front will create understeer unless you compensatewith adjustable sway bars. Best lesson learned, the upgrade that GM did on the CamaroSS 1LE. Most of the guys tracking here are square. That is the way I will go. Staggered looks great and I think is good for 1/4 mile races.
Old 5/12/13, 07:36 PM
GT Member

I run square on track only and it's fantastic. You need grip up front for your turn in. I don't believe it would affect ride quality. I ride an OEM stock staggered setup on the street. For chassis compensation I added a front adjustable sway only and have it on medium which is pretty stiff.

Last edited by Further; 5/13/13 at 03:56 AM.
Old 5/12/13, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like square setups, both for track purposes and so I can rotate the tires regularly for best treadwear (and longer tire life).
Old 5/29/13, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
I run a square set up, 315/30/18 on a 18x10.5 wheel to be exact. No weird Stability or traction control issue, I started off staggered, but I would still be very surprised if you had issues. I believe those systems all work off wheel speed...so as long as your overall tire diameter front vs. rear is close you should be fine. My speed is a bit off, likewise, its the overall diameter of the tire that effects that.

If you use Tire Rack, they typically have specs on most tires. So you can look up what you have and what you are thinking to get and make a call.

here is a tool that you can plug that into with your gear ratios to see what the difference in speed would be...http://www.f-body.org/gears/
Great setup ConeBoss!. Do the front ones rub? How different is your handling at the track with them VS stock?
Old 5/31/13, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Great setup ConeBoss!. Do the front ones rub? How different is your handling at the track with them VS stock?
I must admit to a bit of rub on the plastic fender well on the inside, but not enough to effect anything really. Probably avoidable with a small spacer.

Handling wise...not really fair to compare against stock. Since stock is a street tire which is considerably smaller and the 315's are a super sticky A6 Hoosier. The difference was night and day really. Even wit stock suspension the R compound tire transforms the car...the poor stock suspension was ill equipped to deal with the extra grip though.
Old 6/17/13, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor

First post, hi guys! Just got a 13 base GT 6 speed and love it. Last one was a 94 GT 5 spd with a Procharger.
After reading posts and searching, wanting to run 275/40-18 all around with AMR 18x10 Premium GT wheels. Think I'll have rubbing in the front when I come down from a wheelie in a corner?
Old 6/17/13, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor

Also, quick speedo error calculation. Set it up in excel if you want. (Stock diameter-new diameter)/stock diameter x 100 = % speedo error. For example 27"-26"/27"x100=3.7% speedo error. To figure MPH error at any given MPH=> 60 MPH x calculated error (3.7%) = 2.2 MPH error. Indicated 62.2= 60 actual. If the new tires are smaller, the speedo reads high, if they are larger, the speedo reads low.
Old 6/18/13, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GapRider
First post, hi guys! Just got a 13 base GT 6 speed and love it. Last one was a 94 GT 5 spd with a Procharger.
After reading posts and searching, wanting to run 275/40-18 all around with AMR 18x10 Premium GT wheels. Think I'll have rubbing in the front when I come down from a wheelie in a corner?

I may not be suited to answer the question correctly as I am not experienced at doing "wheelie's" while cornering.

Kidding aside, with a 275, doubtful you will rub.

Quick Reply: Square versus staggered?