Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Square versus staggered?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/13, 02:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Square versus staggered?

I have the 19 inch brembo wheels. I've been kicking around the idea of having my rears widened to 19 by 10. Yes, I know I could just by rims but I actually love these stockers. I'm thinking of 285 35 19 in rear and 255 40 19 in front. That or running 275 40 19 or 285 35 19 out of spec. If anyone has experience with these set ups, your experience would help me decide. Thanks!
Old 2/25/13, 02:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm wondering if the traction or stability control will be effected by making the switch from squared to staggered.
Old 2/25/13, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm wondering if the traction or stability control will be effected by making the switch from squared to staggered.
The speedometer is another concern to add to yours.
Old 3/1/13, 08:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm starting think 275 40 19 may be the winner. Im worried about the speedo and rubbing because my car is lowered on steeda sports.
Old 3/5/13, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a square set up, 315/30/18 on a 18x10.5 wheel to be exact. No weird Stability or traction control issue, I started off staggered, but I would still be very surprised if you had issues. I believe those systems all work off wheel speed...so as long as your overall tire diameter front vs. rear is close you should be fine. My speed is a bit off, likewise, its the overall diameter of the tire that effects that.

If you use Tire Rack, they typically have specs on most tires. So you can look up what you have and what you are thinking to get and make a call.

here is a tool that you can plug that into with your gear ratios to see what the difference in speed would be...http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Last edited by ConeBoss; 3/5/13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

More dumb questions from me. I called Eric Vaughn and he said they add the extra inch to the inside of the wheel. I want to add an inch to my rims. Will there be any clearance issues. I have the brembo wheels. Has anyone else done this already?
Old 3/6/13, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ConeBoss
I run a square set up, 315/30/18 on a 18x10.5 wheel to be exact. No weird Stability or traction control issue, I started off staggered, but I would still be very surprised if you had issues. I believe those systems all work off wheel speed...so as long as your overall tire diameter front vs. rear is close you should be fine. My speed is a bit off, likewise, its the overall diameter of the tire that effects that.

If you use Tire Rack, they typically have specs on most tires. So you can look up what you have and what you are thinking to get and make a call.

here is a tool that you can plug that into with your gear ratios to see what the difference in speed would be...http://www.f-body.org/gears/
What rims are you running? Are you in esp?
Old 3/7/13, 01:19 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a 2011 GT, I had the 19" premium 'nickel' wheels, 19x8.5 with 245/45 on all four. I switched to Ford Racing forged GT500 wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires. Front = 19x9, 255/40. Rear = 19x10, 285/35. Same set-up as Boss LS. I track my car several times per year. I love the staggered set-up, just the right amount of grip with very predictable understeer push. I have no traction control or ESP issues whatsoever. No speedo issues (variance is less than 1 mph). For my next set of tires I may move up to 265 & 295, but it gets $$. I've never heard of widening a stock wheel, but that would scare the %^&* out of me, IMO. I hope this info helps you.
Old 3/7/13, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
What rims are you running? Are you in esp?
Enkei PF01, Yes...ESP prep
Old 3/29/13, 06:00 AM
GT Member

Coneboss, have you switched out the sway bars? And what are your settings? I'm square with Strano sways, stiff front, soft back and I think I'm under steering a little (I think I've over corrected).
Old 4/3/13, 11:47 AM

I have the brembo package on my mustang and I was running a 245/40/19 on the front and a 275/40/19 on the rears and never had any issues. I decided to go back to the 255/40/19 all the way around since I daily drive my car so I can rotate.
Old 4/3/13, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Further
Coneboss, have you switched out the sway bars? And what are your settings? I'm square with Strano sways, stiff front, soft back and I think I'm under steering a little (I think I've over corrected).
Yes, Eibach adj. in front. Steeda Adj. rear. My settings can vary based on level of grip the surface has. If your under steering only a little. Maybe try messing with tire pressures...go a few lbs higher in the rear to reduce rear grip. If you still need more oversteer, maybe you can get it out of the rear bar. Move to a higher setting.

Last edited by ConeBoss; 4/3/13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 4/3/13, 04:16 PM
GT Member

Going up one setting on the rear. Thanks.
Old 4/4/13, 11:51 AM

whoa you're running 315s up front?! Do you have any rub at full turn? Also isn't your speedo off like 6%? That would drive me bonkers! haha. Unless yours is a track only car.

Originally Posted by Mr. V
More dumb questions from me. I called Eric Vaughn and he said they add the extra inch to the inside of the wheel. I want to add an inch to my rims. Will there be any clearance issues. I have the brembo wheels. Has anyone else done this already?
You might have to get under there and look, but I know when a lot of people get wider wheels, much of the extra width is on the outside, which makes it more flush with the fender. Since the wheel wideners have to add to the inside, there might be some clearance issues there. You could look into spacers. Then you'd have to look into longer studs or hubcentric spacers, which are very risky to put on the drive axle, especially at this high of horse power.

If you change your set-up the only thing that would be affected is your speedometer. As long as you get 27" tires you'll be fine, or you can get it corrected with a tune. I use this tire calculator to help me find the stock size tire. It's a little off of the brembo stock size, but I'm eyeing the 315/30/20s in Toyo Proxes R888 on an 11" wide wheel in back. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited by dlaude6; 4/4/13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 4/4/13, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dlaude6
whoa you're running 315s up front?! Do you have any rub at full turn? Also isn't your speedo off like 6%? That would drive me bonkers! haha. Unless yours is a track only car.
Yes, a tiny bit of rub on the front inner fender well, but I don't care about that. It's mostly a trailered track/auto-x machine. When it is on the streets it's wearing stock wheels and no speedo drift in that case.
Old 4/4/13, 08:53 PM

Yes, a tiny bit of rub on the front inner fender well, but I don't care about that. It's mostly a trailered track/auto-x machine. When it is on the streets it's wearing stock wheels and no speedo drift in that case.
Yeah, I could imagine you don't turn all the way to rub when you're on the track lol. Sounds like it's a mean machine on the track, and off!
Old 4/5/13, 07:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Is the sensor for the speedometer attached to the front or back wheels?
Old 4/6/13, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011brembocoyote
I have the brembo package on my mustang and I was running a 245/40/19 on the front and a 275/40/19 on the rears and never had any issues. I decided to go back to the 255/40/19 all the way around since I daily drive my car so I can rotate.
Is it possible to run 275's all the way around? On brembo?
Old 4/6/13, 11:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Pilks

Is it possible to run 275's all the way around? On brembo?
As long as the wheels fit over the brakes (18" min, 19+" to be safe) and the tires fit the wheels (I'd say a 9 or 9.5), yeah, no problem. A number of folks are running 275s square with no rubbing up front at full turn.
Old 4/10/13, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Is the sensor for the speedometer attached to the front or back wheels?
I want to say rear, but I'm not certain.

Quick Reply: Square versus staggered?