Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Quiet suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/13, 08:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Quiet suspension upgrade

I love forums and hate them sometimes too. I have had my mind made up several times only to read a horror story about the same set up I am considering. I would like to lower my car or at least lessen the wheel gap. I just don't want any more noise. Does anyone have a good experience with a manufacturer that makes quiet upgrades to their suspension.
Old 1/10/13, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to view the responses you get, I would guess that most will suggest the FRPP P springs or the Brembo 55d rear springs, both are mild drops and should not create NVH issues unless you have other components that may affect the springs, worn shocks come to mind and possibly worn strut mounts.
good luck.
Old 1/10/13, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
How much of a drop are you thinking about?
Old 1/10/13, 01:20 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd be happy with an inch. I am considering the boss springs but there seems to be trouble with any shocks/struts that are not the ones on the boss.
Old 1/10/13, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there are two ways to reduce the fender/wheel gap: larger tires or shorter springs.

Larger tires may not be to your taste, and bring a couple of problems of their own.

Shorter springs may not be to your taste, and bring a couple of problems of their own.

I had FRPP "P" springs and Koni Sport shocks on my 2009 coupe. No increase in noise, vibration, ever-so-slight an increase in harshness, if "harshness" is a bit of (well-controlled) jounce that wasn't there before.

I considered bigger tires, and don't really mind the meatier-sidewall look, but to maintain the same approximate mph/rpm would have required another differential ratio change.
Old 1/10/13, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotchkis springs (even drop front and back, no rake) paired with Koni yellows is a dream ride. BMR springs aren't bad either but are more for street driving or the strip, I wouldn't take them to a road course. The more of a drop, the more NVH you'll get. I've never had a problem with increased NVH with Whiteline, hotchkis, BMR or Koni's.
Old 1/10/13, 06:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm more worried about the things that need correcting after I lower it. The camber correction plates, pan hard bar, etc.
Old 1/11/13, 12:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I'm more worried about the things that need correcting after I lower it. The camber correction plates, pan hard bar, etc.
Not cheap to lower the car correctly.
You could get away w/ just camber bolts and a adjustable panhard. Your stock DS should be able to handle the change in pinion angle due to the cv joint. You might need relo brackets if you notice a loss of traction.
700-750 for the sports
200-250 springs
20-40 camber bolts
100-150 panhard
100-120 relo bracket*
250-300 UCA and mount*
*optional
Plus a couple of hundred to install, if you cant do it yourself.
You might get lucky w/ alignment. You can check it for free at alot of tire chains. If its out of spec, another 50-100.
Safe to say, $1000-1500 if you want to drop 1"-1.5".

And I don't think that anyone will give you an iron-clad gaurantee that the upgrade will be "quiet".
Old 1/11/13, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Agree with Ross, Lowering the car will open up other items that need correcting.
The Brembo 55d rears lower the rear by 1/2 inch and would not likely cause any further issues.
You may have to upgrade your strut mounts because of additional NVH if you lower the front by an inch.
The problem with NVH is no one else has your ears and you may hear more or less than others and no one else has the exact match of your car , with the mods you currentlly have or miles etc.
I would either go slow with the mods or dive in and accept that it is costly and NVH will be present somewhere down the line.
Old 1/11/13, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Agree with Ross, Lowering the car will open up other items that need correcting.
The Brembo 55d rears lower the rear by 1/2 inch and would not likely cause any further issues.
You may have to upgrade your strut mounts because of additional NVH if you lower the front by an inch.
The problem with NVH is no one else has your ears and you may hear more or less than others and no one else has the exact match of your car , with the mods you currentlly have or miles etc.
I would either go slow with the mods or dive in and accept that it is costly and NVH will be present somewhere down the line.
Thank you for both your replies. I looked at 55d spring and decided the front had to get lower too. I am less concerned about the price than I am about the noise. I've driven a friends car that squeaked over every bump. I'm not really bothered by harshness or vibration. Noise it what I'm worried about.

I realize any change to my car will probably increase nvh but I'm hoping some folks have personal experience with some parts. I am considering the white line pan hard bar after reading around a bit. Ground control camber plates have also been recommended. Maybe someone that owns these products could share their experience. I'm hoping there is an option I'm not familiar with that is quiet.

Last edited by Mr. V; 1/11/13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 1/11/13, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

If you are considering LCA's, I can recommend Metco LCA's as I have them installed on my GT, No Noise and improves traction/throttle steer.
You are on the right track with Whiteline from what I have read they have a good handle on low noise unless you get into their race setups.
Old 1/11/13, 03:00 PM
GT Member

If you want QUIET and CHEAP and LOWERED.

This is what you do.
Get 28" tires, such as 255 45 19 and 55D springs. DONE.
1" in the front 1.5" in the rear, stock ride quality.
Old 1/11/13, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ross
If you want QUIET and CHEAP and LOWERED.

This is what you do.
Get 28" tires, such as 255 45 19 and 55D springs. DONE.
1" in the front 1.5" in the rear, stock ride quality.
I am considering the rims idea. I'm looking for a better ride and lowering the front and rear. The cost isn't really the issue. I'm just looking to see if there is a caster camber plate that is quiet. I'm also considering just doing the gt500 mounts and hoping I don't need a panhard. Noise is my concern. Not price. If someone knows a more expensive but quiet bushing in a pan hard bar and caster camber plates, I'd be interested.
Old 2/23/13, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

I decided to screw possible noise and just hope It isn't as bad as I've read on this forum. I went with Koni sports, steeda sport springs, steeda lca and relocation brackets, steeda pan hard bar, ground control camber plates, and steeda torque box brace. They are being installed today. I'm nervous and excited. It's like waiting for a baby to be born.
Old 2/23/13, 10:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I decided to screw possible noise and just hope It isn't as bad as I've read on this forum. I went with Koni sports, steeda sport springs, steeda lca and relocation brackets, steeda pan hard bar, ground control camber plates, and steeda torque box brace. They are being installed today. I'm nervous and excited. It's like waiting for a baby to be born.
Very nice upgrade. Can't wait to see it!
Old 2/23/13, 06:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Just drove home. I am very happy. No noise that I can perceive. The bouncy feeling is gone. It feels very stable and firm. So far, it's cured my hop problem. I think I blew through a couple of gallons of gas in my 14 mile drive home. So worth it. My car is finally the car I hoped it would be.
Old 3/9/13, 04:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Quiet suspension upgrade-image-3318926035.jpg

Quiet suspension upgrade-image-94796017.jpg
Old 3/9/13, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great!!
Old 3/9/13, 05:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Looks great!!
Thanks! You had a lot to do with it. Everything worked out just like you said. No noise at all from those mounts. I received the adjustment ****. Thank you so much!
Old 3/9/13, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That does look great!

Quick Reply: Quiet suspension upgrade