Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Question regarding lowering spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/21, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding lowering spring replacement

Good afternoon everyone. So I Have a 2013 mustang gt with RTR springs on my car. (They are awesome) but the strut mount is noisy now and struts are needing replaced. I ordered the eibach sportline pro kit that comes with 4 new struts and shocks, sway bars and of course the sportline springs. Now. The question.
Do I need a spring compressor to remove the RTR springs from the worn out stock struts? Since they are lowering springs I am not sure. I wanna keep and reuse the RTR springs and have no intention of keeping the eibach sportline springs. So if anyone has 250$ I will gladly sell them to u.
Old 12/22/21, 09:49 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
I went ahead and copied the following post which was originally submitted by a forum member over on S197 forums.. Perhaps, you may find this useful.. Original thread link is also attached.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/sp...needed.132333/

TECHNICALLY...you're supposed to use one.

Realistically, you don't have to. You can do it by supporting the lower control arm with a jack, removing the center strut nut and the four strut plate nuts, and lowering the jack to release tension on the spring and take everything apart as it comes out.

Then, when you put it back together, push down on the spring and strut assembly by the strut mount to start the center strut nut and tighten it as much as you can, then put the strut back in the car and put everything back together, put a jack under the control arm to get it to ride height and do the final torqueing to the strut nut.
Old 12/23/21, 04:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
The simplest and easiest thing would be to install the struts you are buying with the springs and mounts already on them; isn't that the point of buying them that way?

I would not be surprised if you cannot tell the difference in the springs, Eibach might be a little stiffer than RTR but I am not sure, they could be practically the same. If it was my car, I'd try the new springs and then swap them if I don't like them. But it's your car not mine, so . . .

Regarding the compressor, m05 already covered it above . . . yes you can get away without it, but it can be dicey and it's safer to use the spring compressor. You could "rent" a spring compressor and have it on hand in case you run into trouble. (some auto parts stores will let you "buy" the spring compressor and then "return" it when you are done with it, effectively a free loan when you're done)

Last edited by Bert; 12/23/21 at 04:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (12/23/21)
Old 12/23/21, 09:57 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,787 Posts
"This"