Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

New wheels for 285s...or stock wheels and new suspension?? Need advice! :)

Old 12/12/14, 06:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Recieved 13 Likes on 12 Posts
New wheels for 285s...or stock wheels and new suspension?? Need advice! :)

I'm not going to lie, guys...my budget is tight these days.

My 2011 Brembo car needs new tires bad and I have been putting it off for a very long time mostly on account of not liking aftermarket wheel options and not being happy with the tire size options for the stock Brembo 19x9 wheels.

So my original plan was to save up some extra cash, decide on a set of wheels that will accommodate some 285/35/19s (or bigger) to maximize the performance benefit of the tire investment.

However, it seems that for the price of a set of RTR or Forgestar wheels (two options I have been considering), I could fund a new suspension package...and just pick the best possible tires for the 9" stock wheels for now...275/40 Super Sports perhaps.

So what do you think would yield the best bang:buck?

Which complete suspension package offers the best all around perforomance value? I'm ok with a ~1.5" drop but performance and driving pleasure are the most important factors.

Thanks for any advice!!
Old 12/12/14, 09:00 AM
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff

Recieved 161 Likes on 136 Posts
Dude the SVE Drifts were on sale for Black Friday for $475 shipped! You should've jumped on that. I really wish I waited and picked those up instead of my Niches, because I could have done a lot more appearance mods with those savings!
Old 12/12/14, 09:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Recieved 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah! I saw that sale...hell of a good deal, I just can't get my head around the look of those wheels. IMO, the RTRs nailed the look, and while of all the "alternatives," SVE came the closest, the offset and finishes just don't do the job for me.

Don't get me wrong, they're fine wheels...but I vastly prefer the look of the stock wheels, width not withstanding. It makes it hard to pull the trigger.

Old 12/12/14, 10:06 AM
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Yeah! I saw that sale...hell of a good deal, I just can't get my head around the look of those wheels. IMO, the RTRs nailed the look, and while of all the "alternatives," SVE came the closest, the offset and finishes just don't do the job for me. Don't get me wrong, they're fine wheels...but I vastly prefer the look of the stock wheels, width not withstanding. It makes it hard to pull the trigger.
I mean I guess I agree. If Ford had just made the stock wheels 19x9.5 and +35 I would have never changed them. Well, I would've done my staggered 20s for summer, but I would have kept them for my winter wheels. Oh well...

For $475 though, I wouldn't care what they looked like lol
Old 12/12/14, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 Brembo car needs new tires bad and I have been putting it off for a very long time mostly on account of not liking aftermarket wheel options and not being happy with the tire size options for the stock Brembo 19x9 wheels.

So my original plan was to save up some extra cash, decide on a set of wheels that will accommodate some 285/35/19s (or bigger) to maximize the performance benefit of the tire investment.

However, it seems that for the price of a set of RTR or Forgestar wheels (two options I have been considering), I could fund a new suspension package...and just pick the best possible tires for the 9" stock wheels for now...275/40 Super Sports perhaps.

Which complete suspension package offers the best all around perforomance value? I'm ok with a ~1.5" drop but performance and driving pleasure are the most important factors.

Thanks for any advice!!
Save up and do suspension later, if you care about ride quality and what not you will have to sink some money in otherwise your camber will be ridiculous, your traction will suck, etc. On that note you should be able to fit some 285 tires on the stock 19's. I have the stock Boss wheels at 9 front and 9.5 rear with 285's on each and they are fine.
Old 12/12/14, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Recieved 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check with Howey Industries for wheels....when I ordered my Forgestars it was half the cost when I ordered and the other half when they were ready to be delivered. At least you don't need the whole amount up front....might be another option.
Old 12/12/14, 08:51 PM
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by BaknBlk View Post
Check with Howey Industries for wheels....when I ordered my Forgestars it was half the cost when I ordered and the other half when they were ready to be delivered. At least you don't need the whole amount up front....might be another option.
That's cool! Was yours a custom order?
Old 12/13/14, 12:06 PM
GT Member

Recieved 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered Forgestar CF5's in a matte textured gunmetal...19x9.5 with a +35 offset, deep dish all the way around. Don't know how custom that was, but it took about 6 weeks to get them.
Old 12/14/14, 01:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Recieved 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And they look great if must say so.
Old 12/24/14, 06:54 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks for any advice!!

I will say this, just because you can fit a 285 on a 9" wheel, doesn't mean you should. Get the full use of a tire, put a tire on a wheel that fits, you'll use 100% of that tire. Put a bit tire and a small wheel, use 70% off that tire. You'll also have more sidewall flex and stability will be lost.

275 is the largest I would put on a 9" wheel.

I'll shoot you a pm, take a look at some Avant Garde M310's, we ran those on our 13 Boss, they performed very well and held up to the torture we put it. We also some new takeoff tires from our 15 PP mustang we could wrap them with

Just some options for ya!
Old 2/9/19, 01:54 PM

Thanks for any advice!!
LMR has a wheel sale going, got my SVE series 3 19X9 19X10 wheel set for $540

My new 19X9 19X10 SVE wheels
Old 2/9/19, 04:36 PM
GTR Member

Recieved 343 Likes on 299 Posts
Thread is 5 years old, lol