Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Name this squeak!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/15, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Name this squeak!!

2012 GT lowered on Koni Str.t struts/shocks, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts. Check out this video and please help me figure out what this squeak is before I tear into it!. And no, it isn't the jack making the noise, it's coming from the strut area. Obviously it stops once the wheel is off the ground and the strut is fully extended. It starts to squeak only after driving for 10 or 15 minutes (when it's warmed up). It will squeak when pressing down hard on the fender so it's on the compression and rebound stroke, but most obvious on the rebound and that's why it was easy to replicate with a jack. Bad strut?

Last edited by irl4512; 3/22/15 at 07:43 PM.
Old 3/22/15, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by irl4512
2012 GT lowered on Koni Str.t struts/shocks, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts. Check out this video and please help me figure out what this squeak is before I tear into it!. And no, it isn't the jack making the noise, it's coming from the strut area. Obviously it stops once the wheel is off the ground and the strut is fully extended. It starts to squeak only after driving for 10 or 15 minutes (when it's warmed up). It will squeak when pressing down hard on the fender so it's on the compression and rebound stroke, but most obvious on the rebound and that's why it was easy to replicate with a jack. Bad strut?
2012 Mustang - squeaky suspension - YouTube

Squeaky suspension - YouTube
I think it's a dry ball joint. You lowered the car and now the balljoint sits at a new angle and one where I don't believe it has grease under the ball socket.
Old 3/22/15, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing it's the strut. Especially if it's happening when warmed up.

I had the same issue when I had the Koni oranges.
Old 3/23/15, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

That squeak has that rubber on steel rubbing sound. Perhaps like the spring twisting back and forth against the rubber bushing on the top hat or a bushing on the lower control arm that is being loaded sidewise under compression for some reason.
Old 3/26/15, 04:48 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ConeBoss
That squeak has that rubber on steel rubbing sound. Perhaps like the spring twisting back and forth against the rubber bushing on the top hat or a bushing on the lower control arm that is being loaded sidewise under compression for some reason.
I agree with this post
Old 3/28/15, 01:44 PM

Lubed the jounce bumper and put a little white lithium on the strut piston, both with no luck. Next place to look?

Last edited by irl4512; 3/29/15 at 06:01 PM.
Old 4/3/15, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you put the car on jack stands pulled the wheel off and done the same test as shown in the video yet?

That would be my next step as you will be able to get much closer to the sound both visually and physically.
Old 4/4/15, 04:10 PM

I just did the same setup only with gt500 strut mounts and I have the exact same noise....it's driving me crazy. I thought for sure it was the strut mount or the strut, but now I'm not so sure. Mine only happens when the strut is rebounding. Monday I'm gonna take it apart and try to figure it out
Old 4/6/15, 01:57 PM

I just sprayed the control arms with some lube and it seemed to help, but what about the position of the spring isolator?
Old 4/16/15, 09:44 AM

Replaced the Koni strut under warranty and the noise is gone. Sent the strut to Koni and they confirmed it was in fact a defective strut. Case closed!!
Old 4/27/15, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

Replaced the Koni strut under warranty and the noise is gone. Sent the strut to Koni and they confirmed it was in fact a defective strut. Case closed!!
Glad to hear you got this fixed! I have the exact same issue with both of my front struts. I should have my replacements in a week.

Gives me some hope that the new struts will be the solution.
Old 5/20/15, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2012White5.0
Glad to hear you got this fixed! I have the exact same issue with both of my front struts. I should have my replacements in a week.

Gives me some hope that the new struts will be the solution.
Look like I may have the same issue...thanks for posting up. How did you start the process? Just call Koni direct?
Old 5/21/15, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by kirbster
Look like I may have the same issue...thanks for posting up. How did you start the process? Just call Koni direct?
Go to the Koni USA website and look for the warranty section. They have a couple different options on how you can handle the problem. Considering that you are confident it is the strut, you should pay the deposit and have them send you a replacement. After you get it and swap it out, you send in the defective strut and they refund your money after testing it to confirm it was the strut. Good luck!
Old 5/21/15, 12:41 PM

Go to the Koni USA website and look for the warranty section. They have a couple different options on how you can handle the problem. Considering that you are confident it is the strut, you should pay the deposit and have them send you a replacement. After you get it and swap it out, you send in the defective strut and they refund your money after testing it to confirm it was the strut. Good luck!
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not 100% confident its the strut. But I'll be checking it out to to make sure.
Old 5/22/15, 03:56 AM

When I lowered my car and installed shocks and struts I had the same squeak but after some miles on the set up the squeaking went away.
Old 6/4/15, 06:21 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am having the same issue. I just installed Koni Oranges, Steeda Sport springs and J&M Caster/Camber plates.

I did it myself cause the shops wanted $800-1000 for install! I took it to the Ford dealership after for an alignment which cost me $170! (I feel like I got bent over a counter on that one). And, I'm still hearing those squeaks. It's not all of the time but enough to frustrate me. I'm hoping it will settle and go away completely so I'm giving it some time before ripping it back apart and going the warranty route. I really do not feel like spending more time and money on this!

On a more positive note....it handles much better! lol

Any other tips/tricks that you guys have tried that have helped get rid of the squeak?
Old 6/4/15, 09:34 AM
GT Member

If you don't have coil sleeves/isolators, it may be the spring squeaking against the lower strut perch. I got these before I installed my Koni STR.Ts/P-springs/GT500 mounts and I've been squeak-free.
Old 6/9/15, 07:22 PM
V6 Member

I have the sleeves as well. After paying more attention to the squeaks it seems to come more when the car is warm or maybe it's the warmer weather in general? First thing in the morning when it's a bit cooler it's either non existent or minor but if I'm driving in it for a while or it's midday and hot outside the squeaks seem to come sooner?

So annoying.
Old 6/9/15, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by momogt
When I lowered my car and installed shocks and struts I had the same squeak but after some miles on the set up the squeaking went away.
How long or how many miles was it before you noticed it went away?
Old 6/19/15, 03:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CSdave
I have the sleeves as well. After paying more attention to the squeaks it seems to come more when the car is warm or maybe it's the warmer weather in general? First thing in the morning when it's a bit cooler it's either non existent or minor but if I'm driving in it for a while or it's midday and hot outside the squeaks seem to come sooner?

So annoying.
I had the same issue with my Koni's, a new set was the only solution to the problem. Mine never go any better over the course of a month. Mine was also worse when it was hot out of he car as warmed up after driving.

Quick Reply: Name this squeak!!