Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

koni struts squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/13, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
koni struts squeaking

I think ive narrowed down my squeak to my struts. I put a spring insulator on the 1st and second coil of my springs and when I did that I sprayed the strut rod under the dust boot with silicone spray. The squeak went away immediately. So I thought, ok it was either the insulator ir the silcone spray that did the trick. Well the squeak came back today although its not nearly as bad. But im thinking its my koni strts that are causing the squeak. Can I use lithium grease to on the strut rod to see if that provides a longer lasting solution? Im going to call koni today as well to see what they say. Any advice would help.
Old 8/27/13, 09:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really doubt it is the strut squeaking, nothing much to squeak in the strut itself.
Old 8/27/13, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

According to another guy who talked to koni abiut the same issue, sometimes the tolerances in the strut rod and where it meets the strut is really tight and this happens. Google koni struts squeaking and see what pops up. I am going to switch to steeda hd mounts so we will see if that fixes it, but im 99 percent sure its the strut.
Old 8/27/13, 11:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Are you sure the noise is coming from the struts, and not the front LCAs, as in needing TSB 13-7-8 done? The LCAs get noisy, including squeaks, as the outside temps go up.
Old 8/27/13, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
Are you sure the noise is coming from the struts, and not the front LCAs, as in needing TSB 13-7-8 done? The LCAs get noisy, including squeaks, as the outside temps go up.
Yup. Didnt hear this until I lowered it. I had my left front lca replaced but not the right. I hear this squeak from both sides. Im going to silicone spray them again to check. It kind of soundd like when yiu rub your hands on a wet balloon. Low pitch kind of squeak.
Old 8/27/13, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Yup. Didnt hear this until I lowered it. I had my left front lca replaced but not the right. I hear this squeak from both sides. Im going to silicone spray them again to check. It kind of soundd like when yiu rub your hands on a wet balloon. Low pitch kind of squeak.
I wouldn't rule out the front lower control arms. Unless you have the latest arms with the heat shields on them, they are likely to squeak and grunt until cooler temps return. Regardless, good luck finding a solution.