Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

k-springs vs sportlines - any difference in ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/13, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

:butter:
:salt:
Old 5/7/13, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I, ... 'floatiness' from the stock set-up is gone.
What floatiness ? My stock suspended, non brembo 2011 GT has a very jiggly ride....
Old 5/7/13, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah, the clearance is a big trade off in the quest for the perfect stance. the k-springs have very respectable clearance imho. the streets are just too jacked around here to go much lower without scraping up a daily driver. its just tempting to get sportlines because i adore every stang i see with them.

Originally Posted by Kript2night
I have the Sportline Kit from AM on my 2010 GT. I gotta say it really puts it on the ground. I love the stance but you gotta be very careful going in and out of parkinglots. The ride is alittle rougher than stock but i love it wouldn't change a thing. I purchased the whole kit springs sway bars and shock/struts.
Old 5/7/13, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah ill check. i'd assume most people don't run them around here because the roads are sporadically terrible. i'm a lunatic though, i may get a set for the summer and see how they work out.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Find someone with aftermarket springs and struts in your area and see if they will give you a ride. All the brake dive and rear end squat is gone after you change over. It makes the car much more predictable.
Old 5/7/13, 09:57 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by kws6000
What floatiness ? My stock suspended, non brembo 2011 GT has a very jiggly ride....
---
Have you pushed it hard on a road course yet? You'll learn real quick (Turn 1) what 'floatiness' is.
Old 5/10/13, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Okay I'll bite, how do your 20" wheels allow you to get in and out of parking lots, but a smaller diameter wheel wouldn't? A tire is a tire when they're all the same diameter, but a wheel wouldn't matter.
I run a tire shop for the United States Army. Simply stand a 20 inch diameter tire next to one of that of a smaller diameter tell me which is taller?? Don't mean to sound like a *****
Old 5/10/13, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

If I was running lets say a 17" or 18" it would put the car that much closer to the ground with 245/35/20 my exhaust rub when I'm entering parking lots or anything with a slight hump
Old 5/10/13, 12:11 PM
Banned

I run a tire shop for the United States Army. Simply stand a 20 inch diameter tire next to one of that of a smaller diameter tell me which is taller?? Don't mean to sound like a *****
What's a 20 inch diameter tire got to do with a 20 inch diameter wheel?

You may be out of business soon, running a tire shop, but not understanding the difference between a wheel and a tire.
Old 5/10/13, 12:13 PM
Banned

If I was running lets say a 17" or 18" it would put the car that much closer to the ground with 245/35/20 my exhaust rub when I'm entering parking lots or anything with a slight hump
Well there's your problem. You're running 26" tall tires where a 27-28" tire should be.

Quit the tire business and put proper diameter tires on your car.
Old 5/10/13, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

It's not my business it's the army's so hey... I'm talking about wheel diameter forgive me for saying tire my goodness. I like how my ride is set up I really don't have room to put a taller tire without having issues with rubbing. I was just trying to lend advice about the suspension setup having it myself.
Old 5/10/13, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How are you going to put a 20 tire on a, lets say 17" or 18" rim? Lol
Old 5/10/13, 12:23 PM
Banned

It's not my business it's the army's so hey... I'm talking about wheel diameter forgive me for saying tire my goodness. I like how my ride is set up I really don't have room to put a taller tire without having issues with rubbing. I was just trying to lend advice about the suspension setup having it myself.
I'm lowered on K-Springs on 295's out back and 255's up front, so basically unless you're bagged, you're full of **** and backpedaling.

Taller tires, especially when they are stock diameters cannot and will not cause rubbing issues. Running very wide tires might, but you'd be way wider than a 245.....
Old 5/10/13, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

For got the period. I was saying that 245/35/20 is what I'm running. If I was running a smaller WHEEL it would typically make the car slightly low. How ever you could compensate for the smaller wheel by using a taller tire.
Old 5/10/13, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm lowered on K-Springs on 295's out back and 255's up front, so basically unless you're bagged, you're full of **** and backpedaling.

Taller tires, especially when they are stock diameters cannot and will not cause rubbing issues. Running very wide tires might, but you'd be way wider than a 245.....
Ok . Whatever I know my ride. My front tires sit in the fender a little. Maybe I wouldn't rub I don't really know nor am I willing to find out. I know the sport lines really dropped my car and I have issues with the exhaust rubbing going in and out of parking lots.
Old 5/10/13, 12:31 PM
Banned

For got the period. I was saying that 245/35/20 is what I'm running. If I was running a smaller WHEEL it would typically make the car slightly low. How ever you could compensate for the smaller wheel by using a taller tire.
You would not compensate with a taller tire. The tire diameter should stay static.

Either way, your issues stem from improperly choosing a tire that was far too short for the application.
Old 5/10/13, 12:33 PM
Banned

Ok . Whatever I know my ride. My front tires sit in the fender a little. Maybe I wouldn't rub I don't really know nor am I willing to find out. I know the sport lines really dropped my car and I have issues with the exhaust rubbing going in and out of parking lots.
Your exhaust rubs because your tires are too short, and as a side effect of it your car sits closer to the ground.
Old 5/10/13, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sportlines are much better than K-springs as far as ride comfort however, that is a subjective opinion. If you match these up with quality dampers like koni the ride quality will be good. Stock dampers can't really handle the higher springs rate let alone the drop, you'll get the "bouncy" characteristics. K-springs aren't really that great as far as quality (depending on who made them that year for Ford) and performance.
Old 5/10/13, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

You would not compensate with a taller tire. The tire diameter should stay static.

Either way, your issues stem from improperly choosing a tire that was far too short for the application.
Ok. I can live with that. I didn't choose the tire I bought the wheels and tires from someone as a package deal for 700 bucks when the wear out I might try a taller tire. I like the height and stance as it sits now. Just gotta be careful in parking lots.
Old 5/10/13, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What part of the exhaust is hitting? Pics?

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 5/10/13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 5/10/13, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
What part of the exhaust is hitting? Pics?
He runs the tire shop for the army, not the exhaust shop. Next time I see a Humvee driving around on tires for a smart car, I'll know where it was serviced.

Quick Reply: k-springs vs sportlines - any difference in ride quality?