Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in the INDY area for lowering??

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/14, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in the INDY area for lowering --UPDATE

Planning to order some components for lowering my car:

KONI STR.T Front Struts (Oranges)
KONI STR.T Rear Shocks (Oranges)
SR Performance Lowering Springs (American Muscle's brand, lowers 1.5" front and rear)
Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mounts
BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets
BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar
Camber Bolts

Local dealership has a partnership with Americna Muscle and does installs for all their stuff but wants $465 to install everything plus whatever the cost of the alignment is...

I would LOVE to do this myself as I am pretty handy, but not realy confident enough to do all this with my definate lack of know-how regading suspension work, and only a floorjack and jack stands. Would like to call around in INDY, but want to avoid a crapshoot if someone else can recommend a good shop.

TIA

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 6/27/14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 5/30/14, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breenspeed is in Indiana not sure how far from you though.
Old 5/30/14, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
It's very easy. Did mine on jack stands in my garage.
Old 5/30/14, 08:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Kent's automotive in Noblesville (indy) is great. I've used them from everything to exhaust to installing my steering wheel. Real attention to detail. They charge 75 an hour though. Uggh.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/30/14 at 08:24 PM.
Old 5/30/14, 09:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Do it yourself. I'mma gonna do it myself. It's just bolts. Only real scare, if there is one, is the original spring removal from the front strut. Might need a spring compressor, although I've seen video that you might not.

Past that, it's just unbolt, remove, replace, bolt back in, torque correctly, and align it if needed.
Old 5/30/14, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the tools, I suggest do it yourself in your garage. Not worth $400 to install, not too me at least. The work is stupid easy. Seriously.

If you're unsure what the job consists of, take a look at this. It even tells you what tools are needed.

Old 5/30/14, 10:52 PM

I did a similar installation last week. Once you get over the intimidation factor you find it really is not too difficult to accomplish by yourself. The satisfaction you receive from doing it yourself is worth more than the $400 you saved by not paying a shop to do it!
Old 5/31/14, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Kent's automotive in Noblesville (indy) is great. I've used them from everything to exhaust to installing my steering wheel. Real attention to detail. They charge 75 an hour though. Uggh.
Sweet, thanks, I'll give them a call if I don't decide to do it myself. I live in Noblesville, about 2 miles away from Kents, never thought to ask there. Gonna head to Harbor Freight this weekend and check the prices on some spring compressors.
Old 5/31/14, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KushBandit
If you have the tools, I suggest do it yourself in your garage. Not worth $400 to install, not too me at least. The work is stupid easy. Seriously.

If you're unsure what the job consists of, take a look at this. It even tells you what tools are needed.

Mustang Eibach Sportline Coil Spring Set Installation 2011-2014 - YouTube
That video is pretty informative. I'm assuming based on the video that the top strut mount bolt is the bolt that the camber bolts would replace is that correct?!? If that's the case should I plan to replace them with the camber bolts when I do the install prior to bringing it to get it aligned, or just bring the the eibach bolts to the alignemnt shop for them to use if necessary???

Found another video I'll probably need, just need more info on the Control Arm Relocation Brackets

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 5/31/14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 5/31/14, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I just got off the phone with American Muscle because the video I posted had me wondering about something he (CJ Pony parts Bill) said around 1:22 in the video. He mentioned that the gt500 strut mounts don't work with the 2013 style struts.

AM recommended I order and use the 05-10 front struts with that gt500 strut mount and camber bolts, OR the 11-14 strut with adjustable camber plates only, does that make sense??

Has anyone else had to use the 05-10 struts (Koni Orange) on a 13-14 in order to utilize the beefier gt500 strut mounts?? Also after my conversation with AM I am not going to order the Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets initially. I don't race or track my car, just wanting to lower it nad do it right.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 5/31/14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 5/31/14, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know if we can help sir, we've built thousands of suspension setups for customers and teams who compete. We can definitely square you away.
In regards to the Strut mounts, they will not fit 11+ style struts. There is not performance difference nor mechanical difference, rather a difference in the fitment for strut mounts. A change, in my opinion, that was pointless.
Depending on your goals I would look at different springs, if this is going to be primarily a street car I would really look at BMR springs. Either way, give us a shout!
Old 5/31/14, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
I just got off the phone with American Muscle because the video I posted had me wondering about something he (CJ Pony parts Bill) said around 1:22 in the video. He mentioned that the gt500 strut mounts don't work with the 2013 style struts. AM recommended I order and use the 05-10 front struts with that gt500 strut mount and camber bolts, OR the 11-14 strut with adjustable camber plates only, does that make sense?? Has anyone else had to use the 05-10 struts (Koni Orange) on a 13-14 in order to utilize the beefier gt500 strut mounts?? Also after my conversation with AM I am not going to order the Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets initially. I don't race or track my car, just wanting to lower it nad do it right.
This was well known and documented since 2010 when the 2011s came out. The GT500 mounts do not work with 11-14 V6/GT struts, they only work with 05-10 V6/GT struts.

To use the 11-14 struts you need CC plates or something like the Steeda Heavy Duty strut mounts and camber bolts, as Jay mentioned above^...
Old 5/31/14, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet, thanks, I'll give them a call if I don't decide to do it myself. I live in Noblesville, about 2 miles away from Kents, never thought to ask there. Gonna head to Harbor Freight this weekend and check the prices on some spring compressors.
Not sure where you're located, but I went to an Autozone and borrowed the spring compressors for free. They charge your CC $50 bucks or so, but it's refunded the full amount when you return them. I guess the loan out all sorts of specialty tools.
Old 5/31/14, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by jp1seattle
Not sure where you're located, but I went to an Autozone and borrowed the spring compressors for free. They charge your CC $50 bucks or so, but it's refunded the full amount when you return them. I guess the loan out all sorts of specialty tools.
Pfft. I want them because I'm gonna swap the springs and/or struts twice a month, at least.

Besides, at 13 bucks a set, I can get 3 or 4 of them for the rental fee.

http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...set-61654.html

Or for a little more, I can get this fancy one here for $70.

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-...sor-43753.html

But that one kinda looks weird and scary.

Edit: Or if those scare ya off, well, this here Sears Craftsman one may be ok to get, seems they have one lying around in all the stores 'round these parts..., $50 for the set.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-strut...a=00947057000P

Last edited by houtex; 5/31/14 at 04:44 PM.
Old 6/1/14, 07:27 AM
GT Member

I just got off the phone with American Muscle because the video I posted had me wondering about something he (CJ Pony parts Bill) said around 1:22 in the video. He mentioned that the gt500 strut mounts don't work with the 2013 style struts.

AM recommended I order and use the 05-10 front struts with that gt500 strut mount and camber bolts, OR the 11-14 strut with adjustable camber plates only, does that make sense??

Has anyone else had to use the 05-10 struts (Koni Orange) on a 13-14 in order to utilize the beefier gt500 strut mounts?? Also after my conversation with AM I am not going to order the Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets initially. I don't race or track my car, just wanting to lower it nad do it right.
I was going to go the GT500 mount route but I decided to go with the Steeda Pro Action kit that came with springs, shocks, struts and their HD strut mounts. To me that was the best route to do it right.
Old 6/2/14, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jhighers
Breenspeed is in Indiana not sure how far from you though.
Thanks, contacted them, they wanted a little over $100 more than my dealership for the install and neither price included the cost of an alignment. I think i'm going to do the install myself then get it aligned at the dealership. I wish there was a place you could go and rent time with a lift.
When I was a kid and my dad was in the Air Force, they always had a base hooby shop where you could pay to rent the lift and could use all the tools/equpiment and help you needed. Would be cool to see that type of business make it to the civilain world for any do-it yourself'ers that needed sone addtional tools-equipment-help.
Old 6/3/14, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

You could try Gator Motorsport, they mounted and balanced my wheels and did a great job. They support Indy Cars & Coffee, which is how I heard of them. They might be a little expensive, but you can go into the showroom and check out some Lotuses and Rossions while you're there. I normally do my own work, but I'll call them next time I have something to install that I don't want to do myself.
Old 6/3/14, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Depending on your goals I would look at different springs, if this is going to be primarily a street car I would really look at BMR springs. Either way, give us a shout!
Thanks for the insight on the springs, I have spoken with Kelly @ BMR and will probably go with their springs.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 6/3/14 at 04:21 PM.
Old 6/3/14, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not to long ago, I went with hypermotive suggested route, and I am very happy: 2013 GT, GT500 strut mounts, Older model year Koni STR. Eibach springs The strut mounts are much cheaper than camber plates, and because I only wanted a moderate drop, the strut mounts were good enough to be able to adjust the alignment properly. I installed completely by myself, with the help from YouTube Something to consider...

Last edited by Plim; 6/3/14 at 10:00 PM.
Old 6/17/14, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Got everything ordered but got the Koni Yellows instead of oranges and also got the BMR springs, everything should be at my house on Friday. In re-watching some of the videos above, I don't see ANY torque specifications for any of the components...Am I missing something, or does everything just need to be tightened without a specific torque in mind?!? Planning to do the install myself in my garage this weekend or next when I get back home from our Florida vacation tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in the INDY area for lowering??