Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Brake Fluid Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/15, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Brake Fluid Upgrade

My car is mostly street driven but I do plan to do a couple of track days. What would be a good brake fluid to run?
Old 3/25/15, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
My car is mostly street driven but I do plan to do a couple of track days. What would be a good brake fluid to run?
Motul RBF600 is a great fluid. You need about 2 bottles for a full flush.

If you want the best, Castrol SRF is it. Need 1 bottle for a full flush. It's advantage is wet boiling point which is about 100F higher than anything else on the market. And the wet boiling point is what reall matters for most of us who don't flush the system right before every track day
Old 3/26/15, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the cash get the best as mentioned. I use ATE Super Blue Race fluid which is great for a daily driver and some track use.
Old 3/26/15, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Motul RBF600 is a great fluid. You need about 2 bottles for a full flush. If you want the best, Castrol SRF is it. Need 1 bottle for a full flush. It's advantage is wet boiling point which is about 100F higher than anything else on the market. And the wet boiling point is what reall matters for most of us who don't flush the system right before every track day
Do you have a write up for flushing the fluid? Do you need to mess with the brake lines too? When I get around to this, I want to do the clutch line, brake lines and fluid all at the same time. Possibly pads and rotors too (so sick of the stock pads dusting so much, and I want some zinc coated slotted rotors for appearance...GT500 13.8" rears too).
Old 3/26/15, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Motul RBF600 is a great fluid. You need about 2 bottles for a full flush.

If you want the best, Castrol SRF is it. Need 1 bottle for a full flush. It's advantage is wet boiling point which is about 100F higher than anything else on the market. And the wet boiling point is what reall matters for most of us who don't flush the system right before every track day
So if I go with SRF that's one bottle to flush and one to fill or just one total to flush and fill? Same question for Motul. Any issues with either of these as far as the brake system is concerned? Warranty?

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
If you have the cash get the best as mentioned. I use ATE Super Blue Race fluid which is great for a daily driver and some track use.
Sounds like this is another option from what I've read. If it saves me some bleeding/flush/fill time I'll probably go with SRF.
Old 3/26/15, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I used the blue fluid because it was local and a different color. It made it easy to tell when the fluid was pushed out and the new fluid was in all the lines. Here is the easy way that I did it. I might not have gotten all of the fluid out of the clutch line but it's a small amount.

Use a turkey baster to suck almost all the old fluid out of the resevoir and put it into a water bottle.

Slowly fill the res with the new fluid.

Bleed the brakes until the new fluid comes out in this order....

1. Passenger rear
2. Driver rear
3. Brembo inner valve Passenger side front
4. Brembo outer valve same side
5. Brembo inner valve driver side
6. Brembo outer valve same side

As far as the clutch line, I pumped the clutch a crapload of times to get the new fluid into the line and the old fluid into the res. I sucked half of the fluid back out with the baster again and then filled it to the fill mark.

Done.
Old 3/26/15, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I used the blue fluid because it was local and a different color. It made it easy to tell when the fluid was pushed out and the new fluid was in all the lines. Here is the easy way that I did it. I might not have gotten all of the fluid out of the clutch line but it's a small amount. Use a turkey baster to suck almost all the old fluid out of the resevoir and put it into a water bottle. Slowly fill the res with the new fluid. Bleed the brakes until the new fluid comes out in this order.... 1. Passenger rear 2. Driver rear 3. Brembo inner valve Passenger side front 4. Brembo outer valve same side 5. Brembo inner valve driver side 6. Brembo outer valve same side As far as the clutch line, I pumped the clutch a crapload of times to get the new fluid into the line and the old fluid into the res. I sucked half of the fluid back out with the baster again and then filled it to the fill mark. Done.
Perfect, thank you. Going to do this soon. Tired of the shifting issues with this car. BF bracket waiting to go on too. I'll do the fluid and all the lines at the same time though.
Old 3/27/15, 02:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You are welcome. Sounds like a good plan.
Old 3/27/15, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I used the blue fluid because it was local and a different color. It made it easy to tell when the fluid was pushed out and the new fluid was in all the lines. Here is the easy way that I did it. I might not have gotten all of the fluid out of the clutch line but it's a small amount.

Use a turkey baster to suck almost all the old fluid out of the resevoir and put it into a water bottle.

1. Passenger rear
2. Driver rear

As far as the clutch line, I pumped the clutch a crapload of times to get the new fluid into the line and the old fluid into the res. I sucked half of the fluid back out with the baster again and then filled it to the fill mark.

Done.
Yup that's exactly right. Be sure to properly torque the bleeders too... I believe it's about 90-95 inch-lbs (not ft-lbs!!).

You'll notice in the fluid reservoir a partition for clutch fluid. As noted, suck out everything possible with a baster and then what I do is refill only the clutch portion of the reservoir, bleed that (pump clutch like 200 times) then suck out that fluid, refill jus the clutch portion again, repeat twice. Should get most of the fluid swapped to the new good stuff. Then I do the brakes be fully filling the reservoir
Old 3/27/15, 08:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
The last time I tried to get the blue it was not available in the USA. It kinda sucks as i think it was some government regulation.
Old 3/27/15, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
What do you guys think of vacuum bleeding? I have a mechanic friend who charges me beer to come over to his shop on a Saturday afternoon, and work on my Mustang with him. He really seems to like the idea of vacuum bleeding the Mustang.

If I recall the idea is to hook up a vacuum source to the bleeders and suck new fluid through the brakes (in the same order as listed above). Then once that's all done and there is new fluid in the reservoir hook up a vac cap to the reservoir, and suction bleed the clutch line.
Old 3/27/15, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It comes down to color, which I think is super dumb because it makes it easier to know it's brake fluid and not something else.

Vacuum bleeding is good if you are by yourself and don't have someone to either pump the pedal or turn the bleeder screws for you. It will for sure make the clutch portion easier as you won't have to pump the clutch pedal like 200 times.
Old 3/29/15, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

1. Passenger rear
2. Driver rear

Done.
Yup that's exactly right. Be sure to properly torque the bleeders too... I believe it's about 90-95 inch-lbs (not ft-lbs!!).

You'll notice in the fluid reservoir a partition for clutch fluid. As noted, suck out everything possible with a baster and then what I do is refill only the clutch portion of the reservoir, bleed that (pump clutch like 200 times) then suck out that fluid, refill jus the clutch portion again, repeat twice. Should get most of the fluid swapped to the new good stuff. Then I do the brakes be fully filling the reservoir
This would make a great how to with some pictures and making sure the torque numbers were correct. So I take it the clutch is the same fluid?
Old 3/29/15, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes the clutch uses the same fluid that's in the brake reservoir.
Old 3/31/15, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes the clutch uses the same fluid that's in the brake reservoir.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 4/1/15, 05:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This would make a great how to with some pictures and making sure the torque numbers were correct. So I take it the clutch is the same fluid?
I could probably write something up. I bleed my brakes probably once a week during the track season...
Old 4/1/15, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I could probably write something up. I bleed my brakes probably once a week during the track season...
That would be awesome. Then we just need to get it made into a sticky post.
Old 4/1/15, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

So if I go with SRF that's one bottle to flush and one to fill or just one total to flush and fill? Same question for Motul. Any issues with either of these as far as the brake system is concerned? Warranty?
Still need an answer to the above question please.

Vacuum bleeding is good if you are by yourself and don't have someone to either pump the pedal or turn the bleeder screws for you. It will for sure make the clutch portion easier as you won't have to pump the clutch pedal like 200 times.
So how does the vacuum bleeder work with the clutch?
Old 4/3/15, 02:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It pulls the fluid through instead of pushing with the pedal.
Old 4/13/15, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

So if I go with SRF that's one bottle to flush and one to fill or just one total to flush and fill? Same question for Motul.
Still didn't get an answer on this.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Upgrade