Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models
View Poll Results: Brake Upgrade 2013 Mustang GT
GT500
100.00%
S550
0%
Stay Stock
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Big Brake Upgrade Advice - 2013 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/17, 08:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brake Upgrade Advice - 2013 Mustang GT

After lowering the Stang, I plan on upgrading the brakes. I come here looking for advice from the pros.

I have a 2013 Mustang GT with AMR 19x8.5 wheels. I have the below options for brake upgrade :-
  1. 4 piston GT500 (07-12)
  2. 4 piston S550
  3. Stay stock

Questions
What option do you recommend?
Old 11/5/17, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
With your wheels make sure which ever way you go that the will clear the calibers.
Old 11/5/17, 01:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dusman59
With your wheels make sure which ever way you go that the will clear the calibers.
the 19x8.5 clear the Brembo 6 pistons so pretty sure 4 wont be an issue.
Old 11/5/17, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The 4 Piston Brembos are a HUGE upgrade from stock. Even after 14 track days over the last 4 years I don't see a need to replace or upgrade them. With a good pad these handle track work really well.

If you're talking street 6 Pot version would just be a huge overkill while adding unwarranted un-sprung weight.

I would still suggest the 4 Piston Brembo upgrade over the stock S550 4 pot brakes which are not Brembo. If you go the Brembo route pad changes are super easy, plus you're leaving yourself plenty of room to grow if you decide on road racing or auto X later on.
Old 11/5/17, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
The 4 Piston Brembos are a HUGE upgrade from stock. Even after 14 track days over the last 4 years I don't see a need to replace or upgrade them. With a good pad these handle track work really well.

If you're talking street 6 Pot version would just be a huge overkill while adding unwarranted un-sprung weight.

I would still suggest the 4 Piston Brembo upgrade over the stock S550 4 pot brakes which are not Brembo. If you go the Brembo route pad changes are super easy, plus you're leaving yourself plenty of room to grow if you decide on road racing or auto X later on.
I was looking at the 4 piston Brembo's. Did read about 6 piston being an overkill even for track (maybe it was one of your comments on another thread).

As for the S550 4 pot brakes, I had read that they are made by Brembo but not branded (but it could be wrong). Why I had them as an option is because they are easier to find (take-offs). With the Brembo GT500 4 pots I would have to go for the remanufactured ones which are sold by say autozone. In the case of a S550 calipers, I can get them brand new from Tascaparts for like $90 each. The only issue I have with S550 calipers is the need for a spacer when installing them and I will also have to check if they will clear he AM 19x8.5 wheels I have.
Old 11/5/17, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
You have a good point about the 4 pot take offs. If you don't plan to track the car this may be the most economical solution. I've seen a few S550 users complaint about noises and issues with the 4 pots which is part of the reason I'd stay away from them.

But in all honesty I think either way it would be a good upgrade over stock.
The following users liked this post:
munchy_cool (11/5/17)
Old 11/9/17, 06:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I would stick with calipers that were made for the S197 cars simply because I don't know what issues I might run into with S550 parts, and there are plenty of S197 parts, both new and used, around.

The simple solution is the 07-09 GT500 SVT Brembo kit; which includes everything you need for the front upgrade plus stainless steel lines for front and back, and new pads for the back. The only "down side" is the price -- about $1,100 for the full kit . . . which really isn't bad relative to other big brake kits but it sounds like you are trying to get it done for less than that.

I have seen some posts that you can buy the Brembo calipers and rotors as separate parts and put together your own "kit" for substantially less money; but there was some question as to whether they were "real" Brembos or some kind of Chinese knock-offs. If you try some searches in the different sections on here and some of the other Mustang forums you can probably find those posts with the details.

Another low cost option is to watch Craig's List and e-Bay for S197 take-offs. They don't show up every day, but they do come along from time to time, if you can be patient and keep watching the adds. I'd expect to pay around $500 for take-off calipers and rotors.

Also I would make sure those wheels will clear . . . if so they are the first 8.5" wide wheels I have heard of that will clear. You sound pretty confident about that so I guess you have it covered.

Last edited by Bert; 11/9/17 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
munchy_cool (11/9/17)
Old 11/9/17, 06:41 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I would stick with calipers that were made for the S197 cars simply because I don't know what issues I might run into with S550 parts, and there are plenty of S197 parts, both new and used, around.

The simple solution is the 07-09 GT500 SVT Brembo kit; which includes everything you need for the front upgrade plus stainless steel lines for front and back, and new pads for the back. The only "down side" is the price -- about $1,100 for the full kit . . . which really isn't bad relative to other big brake kits but it sounds like you are trying to get it done for less than that.

I have seen some posts that you can buy the Brembo calipers and rotors as separate parts and put together your own "kit" for substantially less money; but there was some question as to whether they were "real" Brembos or some kind of Chinese knock-offs. If you try some searches in the different sections on here and some of the other Mustang forums you can probably find those posts with the details.

Another low cost option is to watch Craig's List and e-Bay for S197 take-offs. They don't show up every day, but they do come along from time to time, if you can be patient and keep watching the adds. I'd expect to pay around $500 for take-off calipers and rotors.

Also I would make sure those wheels will clear . . . if so they are the first 8.5" wide wheels I have heard of that will clear. You sound pretty confident about that so I guess you have it covered.
The only difference between the S550 4 pot build, and the S197 Brembo 4 pot build is the caliper and brake pads. They both use the same rotor (14 inch), same braided SS brake lines, and same dust shields (optional). A lot of peeps have been running the S550 calipers with no issues. The only extra thing needed is a washer to offset the caliper on the rotor.

As for the prices, you are correct that a new kit is $1100 and you can get the front only for less than $500 if you get the parts.

As for the authenticity of the reman calipers. Well, I think they are the real thing. The reason being, the passenger side is always low on stock. If they were knock-off's, that would not have been the case. My personal reasoning for that is that most front end crashes are on the passenger side, hence that caliper is damaged and discarded. Again, this is my personal logic and feel free to BS it

I am keeping an eye out on the groups/CL etc. These days, 6 pot Brembo's are going for $500. But peeps still expect $500 for the 4 pot as well. Just yesterday I saw a 4 pot listed for $700.

I plan to do the upgrade sometime in February 2018, as the holidays are coming up soon. So, I will be on the lookout for used parts, if I can get a good deal.