Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Which aftermarket front lower control arms you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/13, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which aftermarket front lower control arms you recommend?

Hi, I have a 2012 mustang GT. The dealer swapped out my front lower control arms 4 times because of a creak noise when going over speed bumps or small bumps on the road. After the 4th attempt the noise is still there, didn't get any better. It ONLY happens in the summer around 80 degrees and when the car is warm, in the winter time it's completely gone. The dealer said there's a TSB out on the front lower control arm bushings. So I'm deciding to go aftermarket. Which after market front lower control arms would you recommend I buy and install?
Old 3/4/13, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

There is a guy on here, 908SSP I think, or something to that effect. He swapped just the bushings on his front LCA's with the whiteline bushings. I would get with him to see how he likes them. He said something about not wanting to buy aftermarket because they are weaker then stock, but don't quote me quoting him on that.

Last edited by Brandon302; 3/14/13 at 08:34 PM.
Old 3/4/13, 07:41 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your stock OEM's are fine. Look at replacing the bushings, whiteline has a bushing kit that works great.
Old 3/5/13, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Your stock OEM's are fine. Look at replacing the bushings, whiteline has a bushing kit that works great.
Link?
Old 3/5/13, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I have stock arms & Prothane bushings on mine. They have been fine so far...http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...?prod=4%2E3165
Old 3/8/13, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
I have stock arms & Prothane bushings on mine. They have been fine so far...http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...?prod=4%2E3165
So that bushing kit is basically just the rubber bushing pieces, I'd have to reuse everything else right. Is the installation difficult? I'm going to buy them and have my shop install them
Old 3/8/13, 04:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
So that bushing kit is basically just the rubber bushing pieces, I'd have to reuse everything else right. Is the installation difficult? I'm going to buy them and have my shop install them
A couple of things to watch out for. The aftermarket bushings might cause you issues with your steering rack, the only fix being a $900 FRPP steering rack. The bushings are a real pain in the azz to install, mostly removing the old bushings w/o damaging the arm. You might want to consider getting a complete arm from steeda, comes with poly bushings and balljoint. But seriously be prepared to trade off a squeak for a horrible steering wheel shudder. Maybe Ford racing also has a pre-assembled arm w/ upgraded bushings.
Old 3/8/13, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ross
A couple of things to watch out for. The aftermarket bushings might cause you issues with your steering rack, the only fix being a $900 FRPP steering rack. The bushings are a real pain in the azz to install, mostly removing the old bushings w/o damaging the arm. You might want to consider getting a complete arm from steeda, comes with poly bushings and balljoint. But seriously be prepared to trade off a squeak for a horrible steering wheel shudder. Maybe Ford racing also has a pre-assembled arm w/ upgraded bushings.
I heard about that problem. Although I thought it was a Electric steering calibration issue and that Ford had a software update they can install to address it. But maybe i'm thinking of sumthin else.

Agree that changing those is a PITA! The after market arm is not a bad idea...its just that most of them are designed for a lowered car and have the suspension geometry corrections built in.
Old 3/8/13, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

what you think of these?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/bmr-front...-2013/p/LCA86/
Old 3/8/13, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Theyre nice, but not OEM. The other ones from Steeda and FRPP, are OEM arms with upgraded ball joints and bushings. I personally dont think its worth the trade-off on a streetdriven car to get rid of a squeak. The aftermarket LCA's might squeak also, and you have a very high chance of devoloping a steering wheel shudder. Unfortuanely I dont think that was solved w/ a software update. The FRPP rack is required @$900 plus labor.

Now ask yourself is 2k worth it to get rid of a sqeak. Just get louder mufflers.
Old 3/9/13, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Theyre nice, but not OEM. The other ones from Steeda and FRPP, are OEM arms with upgraded ball joints and bushings. I personally dont think its worth the trade-off on a streetdriven car to get rid of a squeak. The aftermarket LCA's might squeak also, and you have a very high chance of devoloping a steering wheel shudder. Unfortuanely I dont think that was solved w/ a software update. The FRPP rack is required @$900 plus labor.

Now ask yourself is 2k worth it to get rid of a sqeak. Just get louder mufflers.
yeah that's what I was thinking, louder mufflers. I want to get these http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-g...ck-2011gt.html
do you know if there are any performance gains with those mufflers? Installing these won't void warranty at all right?

Last edited by Will3212; 3/9/13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 3/9/13, 11:42 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah that's what I was thinking, louder mufflers. I want to get these http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-g...ck-2011gt.html
do you know if there are any performance gains with those mufflers? Installing these won't void warranty at all right?
they are ford racing parts - had 'em installed on my car by ford. mechanic told me he loves seeing aftermarket parts made by ford, service manager told me no problems with warranty with ford parts.

performance gain? YES - but only because they sound so good I want to romp on it more.... probably very little if any in reality but the BUTT-DYNO 5.0 says it's ROCKIN!!!

Old 3/10/13, 03:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Heck yes. The GT500 style mufflers sound nice!
Old 3/10/13, 11:18 AM
GT Member

Borla s-type.......
Old 3/10/13, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None of the after market front lower control arms are really safe for everyday driver.

You have to buy a new rack there is no soft ware up date if you change bushings.

Get a louder exhaust so you don't hear the creak.
Old 3/11/13, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

So the Whiteline bushings squeak? To be honest it's not really a bother. Louder exhaust seems to be the best fix!
Old 3/11/13, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Still looking for the whiteline bushings... cant seem to find them or my google fu is weak.
Old 3/11/13, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Whiteline bushings don't squeak. They feel great really tightened up the steering feel much less rubbery. I have a 2010 the last of the hydraulic steering cars and on that and earlier cars they work great but from what I have read they shouldn't be put on the electric steering cars till Ford does something about the programing.

Name:  IMG_2350.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  63.2 KB
Old 3/12/13, 12:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Excuse my ignorance. But I dont see how the bushings would mess with the rack programming? Is the added vibration from the stiffer bushing somehow affecting the sensors within the rack itself?
Old 3/12/13, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey
Excuse my ignorance. But I dont see how the bushings would mess with the rack programming? Is the added vibration from the stiffer bushing somehow affecting the sensors within the rack itself?
It might, in trying to make the car softer on the street maybe they setup bump correction similar to the older bump steer setups. So with stiffer bushings it might cause your car to become unpredictable.