Notices
Race Red

Took a new set of pics today. (Pic heavy!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/11, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took a new set of pics today. (Pic heavy!!)

What a beautiful day here in Santa Rosa Beach/Panama City Beach. These pictures were taken at Lake Powell. Lake Powell is a salt water lake that I plan on fishing the hell out of once I get my boat set up.

Enjoy!

Old 11/2/11, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Would it help if I told you I did the under hood paint accents all by my lonesome? LOL!
Old 11/2/11, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice. What size/kind of tires are you running?
Old 11/2/11, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VTXFrank
Would it help if I told you I did the under hood paint accents all by my lonesome? LOL!
You did a fantastic job and it is very tasteful. Would you mind sharing what products you used or any tips? As a fellow RR owner I could see doing something very similar in the future.
Old 11/2/11, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Onelildude
Very nice. What size/kind of tires are you running?
They are listed in my sig line. BFG KDW2's in 255/35-19 up front and 275/35-19 out back. I won't be buying these tires again. When they were new, and the fronts pretty much still are, they gripped really well. But the rears have been worn down through some spirited driving and now, they make a lot of road noise and don't grip very well. Even during hot days.
Old 11/3/11, 01:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That's been my experience with ALL Bfg tires. I will never go back to them. The General Exclaim UHPs were some of the best all around tires I've ever had. I think I'm going to try the Continentals next. Car looks awesome btw!
Old 11/3/11, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
That's been my experience with ALL Bfg tires. I will never go back to them. The General Exclaim UHPs were some of the best all around tires I've ever had. I think I'm going to try the Continentals next. Car looks awesome btw!
I hear ya. I might try a pair of Hankook Ventus V12 EVO K110's next on the rears. Maybe if I got their 275/40-19 I could hook up a little better. I can't go any wider than 275 since my wheels are 19x9. I might get away putting a 285 on there, but I like that the 275-40 is a 27.7" tall tire.
Old 11/3/11, 09:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's one mean looking stang!
Old 11/4/11, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
That's one mean looking stang!
Thanks! Next mod will be having the headlights and tails professionally tinted. Then foglight covers. I love the blacked out look on a red car!
Old 11/6/11, 04:16 AM
Bullitt Member

BTW, what would folks recommend for tint % on the headlights and tails when having it done at a tint shop? Of course, I don't want any run-ins with the law over it, but I don't want it to be too light either. Suggestions are welcome. Pictures would be awesome!
Old 11/6/11, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your 5.0 looks so amazing! It is the best 2010+ I have ever seen, no joke.

Please don't tint your lights and black it out, it looks amazing as it sits. Your car though.

+4564312354678656456
Old 11/6/11, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Very tastefully done, I agree not to tint the lights though, but just my opinion.
Old 11/7/11, 01:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If anything, just tint the fogs and reverse lamps...
Old 11/7/11, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theACE
Your 5.0 looks so amazing! It is the best 2010+ I have ever seen, no joke.

Please don't tint your lights and black it out, it looks amazing as it sits. Your car though.

+4564312354678656456
Thanks man! I've put a lot of time, effort and money into this car getting it to look just right. I've had a couple of mis-steps along the way, but it has turned out better than I'd hoped!

Originally Posted by Womprat
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Very tastefully done, I agree not to tint the lights though, but just my opinion.
Originally Posted by laserred38
If anything, just tint the fogs and reverse lamps...
Thanks for the comments! I might just leave well enough alone. I have a hard enough time seeing at night as it is, so I might not tint the headlights. Maybe do something real light on the tails just to get those goofy looking reverse lights better incorporated into the look of the car. I've been seriously considering leaving the fogs alone and just putting yellow bulbs in. It makes such a huge difference when driving in inclement weather.
Old 11/12/11, 01:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

I like what you did under the hood. What paint did you use?
Old 11/13/11, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I like what you did under the hood. What paint did you use?
I had been looking for just the right paint color to use but also, I wanted what is called, "Self Leveling" paint as well. One day while walking through Lowe's, this is after searching for months for the right paint, I happened to see this paint called "Rust-oleum Marine Coatings Topside Paint." The can said specifically that it had excellent self leveling properties and dries fast in the sun. I knew then that I had found my paint! I thought that any paint that can withstand the full on sun would probably do very well for my intended application. And it certainly has. one year later it's still just as bright and nice as it was the day I put it on. And cleaning it up is a snap too. It can take even the harshest cleaning methods once it's dry.

Here's a picture of the things I used to paint my COP covers and the main cover.

I took the top off of that bottle of 3n1 oil, drained it out, then used brake cleaner to clean out the oil from inside the bottle. Once it was dry, like two minutes later, I mixed up some of that Topside paint and poured some into that bottle. Put the top back on and cut just the very tip off the applicator. Then used that as a means to squeeze out the red paint into the lettering holes and the lines. The larger areas, like the larger stripes on the main engine cover, I used the same bottle type, I had two of those 3n1 bottles, but cut the applicator down lower to have a bigger hole for the paint to flow through. I propped the main cover up so that I could work on one side at a time and have a level surface. Squeezed out the paint and let it fill that whole area in. Used the fine detail brush to get the paint to go right up to the inside edge of that larger stripe area.

I still need to go back and fill in the larger stripes on the main cover area some more. I will eventually fill it all the way in so that the paint it level with the surrounding plastic.

I painted the COP covers and the main cover with the wrinkle black stuff before doing any of the detail work. It's a must to use 300 grit sandpaper to rough up the surfaces and then wash and dry the parts. I then used the Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner and washed down all the parts one final time. This dries up all the water and does a great job of getting rid of any oily spots on the surfaces. Then use the plastic primer. If you don't use the plastic primer, the wrinkle paint, or what ever paint you choose, won't set right. That Topside paint though, it will stick to anything. LOL!

Probably more info than you wanted or needed, but just thought I would share a little info on how I went about it for those who might be wondering or not sure how to do it themselves.

Last edited by VTXFrank; 11/13/11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 3/31/12, 07:16 AM
V6 Member

Probably more info than you wanted or needed, but just thought I would share a little info on how I went about it for those who might be wondering or not sure how to do it themselves.
Your car looks amazing. I love the red accents under the hood. Thanks for providing the step-by-step details of how to do it.
Old 6/30/14, 09:54 PM
V6 Member

Where did you get your black antenna from? I want a short antenna but the one from American Muscle is chrome and since my Mustang has very little chrome on it. I am just curious
Old 7/1/14, 12:10 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
your engine compartment looks great. very nicely done. I'll take some ideas from you.
Old 4/1/21, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
oops, delete this. Not sure how it ended up in the wrong thread

Last edited by Cavero; 4/1/21 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Took a new set of pics today. (Pic heavy!!)