Notices
Race Red

Anybody running chrome AMR wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/13, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried searching but couldn't find anything in the way of pictures of this. Looking into ordering a set of wheels for my car. I've decided on the AMR wheel(I think lol). Just trying to pick a finish. Im very interested in the chrome ones. Everyone does black these days and to me there needs to be some contrast between the wheel and the tire. But I'm open to a gloss black I guess. I want something with some pop to it. I'm torn between the gloss black AMRs or the chrome or the silver painted. Any suggestions? I'd say I'm most partial to chrome just because I like the contrast and the shine and with this style wheel it still maintains an aggressive look.

I'm also keeping the stock 18x8 size all around and just swapping the tires over. I don't want to go bigger.

Last edited by flynavy; 9/2/13 at 03:42 PM.
Old 9/2/13, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went with chrome on our Race Red, I like the look....
Attached Thumbnails Anybody running chrome AMR wheels?-dscf0187.jpg   Anybody running chrome AMR wheels?-dscf0176.jpg  
Old 9/2/13, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I like it too. Everyone loves black wheels these days but I'm still partial to chrome and maybe painted silver. I've looked at the machined Boss Laguna Seca wheels and the more I look at this stuff I'm torn between either a chrome or bright silver painted wheel (almost white looking), or as a different choice that Laguna Seca style wheel. I'd love a set of Laguna Seca red and machined silver wheels but those are so rare and expensive and I don't know where you can even find those or if they're even possible to buy. Plus I'm not sure how red on red would look.

Last edited by flynavy; 9/2/13 at 10:06 PM.
Old 9/2/13, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I answered my own question I guess. I used the Ford Mustang customizer and put a set of red laguna seca wheels on a race red mustang just to get the general idea. Pretty unique I think.

Anybody running chrome AMR wheels?-image-3687574292.jpg
Old 9/3/13, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is unique, I like
Old 9/4/13, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I like too. They're just sooo expensive
Old 9/4/13, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

On that note, I wonder how expensive it would be if I ordered a set of normal LS wheels and then took them to a shop and had them painted race red to clone these wheels?
Old 9/4/13, 08:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by flynavy
On that note, I wonder how expensive it would be if I ordered a set of normal LS wheels and then took them to a shop and had them painted race red to clone these wheels?
There is a guy on this forum selling red wheels from a Laguna seca. He is asking 2000, I think. He's had them on here for a while and is looking at offers.
Old 9/4/13, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I sent him a PM this morning lol
Old 9/4/13, 09:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you could get all 4 wheels custom painted for 225$ including detailing the wheels.
Old 9/4/13, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com

you could get all 4 wheels custom painted for 225$ including detailing the wheels.
I'd be interested at that price for sure if I can clone the Red LS wheels exactly.
Old 9/4/13, 09:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
flynavy- i came across this pic on another thread, combo looks great...
Attached Thumbnails Anybody running chrome AMR wheels?-image_zpsf1854c42.jpg  
Old 9/4/13, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chorse

flynavy- i came across this pic on another thread, combo looks great...
Thanks! That does look good! Mine isn't a Boss so I don't have all of the contrasting black graphics and black spoiler (have one on the way in that style, just all in race red) but I think it definitely works. I'm not into too much vinyl on my car but I'm sure I could add some little accents here and there in a subtle way to make the wheels work if I get them. Definitely a unique combo that not many out there will have. Thanks for that picture!
Old 9/4/13, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com

I know you're somewhat in my area in Texas, do you know of a place around that would charge that? I'm sure I could take it to a paint/body shop around here and give them some pictures of what I want done and I don't see why they couldn't do it.
Old 9/4/13, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....rs-p-1443.html

These are Boss 302S wheels, they also have the Boss Laguna Seca wheel for 100 more dollars but the pictures look nearly the same so i dont know if theres any real difference. For 850 for this set, if it cost me 250(total guess on that price right now) or so to get them painted Race Red I would still come out ahead of paying 1500-2000 for the factory painted LS wheels. Or I could use that as leverage in making a deal on the red LS on the marketplace. I also thought about the LS clone from American Muscle and having that painted and it would still be cheaper yet, although not a genuine Ford Racing part.
Old 9/4/13, 10:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ i live in clear lake area of houston... i did mine in kemah ( Barnet Pinstripping)http://www.barnettpinstriping.com/
but it will be 2 hr drive for you... take ur car n get quotes from your local body shops, if there are many in ur area.. u will definitely get a competitve price than houston....
other option is plastic dipping...$25 - 30 /per wheel....now a days they are coming out with all color combo u can imagine... i did plastic dip my radiator grilles to match deep impact blue.. it came out 85% match...so for the money i thought it is good bet.
Old 9/4/13, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. I've sent some emails to places here in Corpus Christi and I'm going to go drive to another place today and ask about an estimate on that. If they aren't competitive ill just make the drive. If I can get ones to do it here for that price I may just snag a set of boss wheels and have them done and will only have spent half the money of ones that came off of an actual laguna seca.
Old 9/4/13, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

So far one place wants 150/ wheel to mask off the wheel and paint to match the laguna seca wheels. Still waiting to hear back from a couple others.
Old 9/4/13, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know if the red laguna wheels are race red paint? They appear to be in my opinion. Just didn't know if anyone knew for certain.

Last edited by flynavy; 9/4/13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 9/4/13, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Can anyone tell what the difference between these two wheels really are? The ones that are labeled 302S look to have a gloss black inset with the machined face, while the 302 LS wheels look to have a slightly lighter inset finish.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....rs-p-1443.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....rs-p-1713.html