SEMA Action Network News and information from the organization helping protect our hobby.

Hawaii Bill to Severely Restrict Aftermarket Car Audio Equipment Deferred

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/11, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hawaii Bill to Severely Restrict Aftermarket Car Audio Equipment Deferred

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62888

Legislation (H.B. 1178) to ban the installation, ownership or use of any car with aftermarket speakers over 6.5 inches in height or depth, any 5 speaker aftermarket system, any aftermarket speaker over 100 watts and any aftermarket speaker installed external to the passenger compartment or in an open hatch back will not be considered in the Hawaii legislature this year. The measure was discriminatory toward aftermarket products, as it did not seek to limit systems installed by the original vehicle manufacturer or dealer. If enacted, the bill would have denied hobbyists the opportunity to purchase and install a range of aftermarket alternatives to original equipment stereos. Following a hearing on the bill in the House Transportation Committee, the measure was deferred.

Congratulations and thank you to those who participated in opposing this bill!
Old 2/15/11, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank goodness! I was nervous when i first heard of this bill even being thought of bein enacted. But yea that would cut out just about the entire aftermarket entertainment system. Factory systems are good yea but of course people always want more, thats why we have an aftermarket. And a few companies are in hawaiian areas so that would put them out of business and remove alot of jobs, therefore bringing in less money to hawaii.
Thanks you everyone who voted against this bill. We all thank you!
Old 2/15/11, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What in the wide, wide world of sports were they thinking with this bill?! A huge number of cars come with 6 or 8 speaker systems now (not just the high-end cars, either), so most new cars would not pass this! They're saying if you had an aftermarket system in your car they're going to take it and crush it or something?! What is their thinking with this?!
Old 2/15/11, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Dumb law. Attempted to be passed for no real reason except nuisance noise, right? Just make the distubing the peace one enforced. Geez.

/Tell me, can the Shaker 1000 not also irritate?
Old 2/15/11, 10:07 PM
FR500 Member

It's all the idiots who feel like they "have" to share out there. I do see citations issued under a "excessive noise" statute - but it doesn't seem to make a difference (and some of their setups are truly ghetto-rigged crap like house speakers in the back seats or something awful). Instead of outlawing aftermarket audio, should crank up the fines if they insist on cranking up the volume. Better yet, force them to close their windows and blast what little brains they have out with the bass. I don't even want to get started with the ricer exhaust noise...
Old 2/16/11, 08:42 AM
V6 Member

This bill didn't go after OE systems like the Shaker 500's and 1000's. As our alert mentioned, this didn't target noise or nuisance, but rather the aftermarket addition/modification/use of altered systems.
Old 2/16/11, 10:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Are you trying to tell us that they were directly going after killing aftermarket stereo equipment sales in the islands for automobiles for no other reason than to DO IT?

I fail to see how this even got any distance at all beyond mention in a meeting, and then thrown out.

I disbelieve wholeheartedly the notion that this was even attempted for *any* reason but noise/nuisance unless there is actual proof presented otherwise. It makes no logical sense.*

/Not that it matters to me as I'm in Texas, but I don't want this goin' around.
//* - Since when does government makes logical sense? Ya got me. I conceed the point.
Old 2/17/11, 07:17 AM
V6 Member

Instead of targeting nuisance this bill targeted the aftermarket audio crowd as the problem.
Old 2/17/11, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I really don't mean to be a jerk about this, but that still isn't sufficiently explaining why, without directly pointing to aftermarket companies and saying "We're gonna put you out of business, you hooligans."

Are you trying to say without actually saying it, that they were going after nuisance, but didn't want to come right out and say it?

I'm so confused now. 0.o
Old 2/18/11, 04:04 AM
Bullitt Member

You're missing the point - it's politics, so it doesn't have to make sense or target anybody. Some politician (probably someone with similar feelings to myself) was driving down the street or sitting in their living room when a dufus rolled up with his thump in full boogie mode. Instead of pulling out a high powered weapon and trying to find the amps in 200 rounds or less, they introduced a bill that would make sure they'd never have to hear that again! And they'd mess it up for EVERYBODY that plays nice.

Now, think about this the next time you're watching a street racing video and draw some parallels....
Old 2/18/11, 08:04 AM
V6 Member

I think Dread53 gets it. Instead of going after the people who are causing nuisances with loud music, the bill sponsor chose to go after ALL who enjoy aftermarket audio systems... even the responsible ones, by outlawing them.
Old 2/18/11, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Dread53
Instead of pulling out a high powered weapon and trying to find the amps in 200 rounds or less...
Tempting... but then someone else would try to ban hi-powered weapons and magazines that hold over 5 rounds... again.
Old 2/18/11, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ah. That's what I needed. Now it makes sense, even though it doesn't. Sorry I was such an idiot about it.

By the way, SAN, whomever(s) you are, thanks for keepin' us abreast of these little gotchas everywhere. You're doin' awesome work!
Old 2/22/11, 08:53 AM
V6 Member

Thank you but please be sure to join! We aren't always able to post here in a timely fashion. The best way to keep updated on issues is to join (at no cost) at SEMASAN.com. You'll get up-to-the-minute alerts delivered straight to your email's inbox and be guaranteed to be able to take action.