2012-2013 BOSS 302

Are you Mustang guys and gals...or

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/12, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you Mustang guys and gals...or

did you just like the Boss?

I am not a Ford or Chevy guy, I buy what I like. My last car was a 1992 Saturn, bought new when it was all I could afford. Since then, I have had a Jeep Wrangler, not counting that as a "car," and two Nissan Frontiers, I need a truck for work.

I bought the Boss because I wanted something different, a Sunday driver, limited or special edition. The wife found this one about an hour away. She talked me into going to look at it and said, "You work hard and do not buy yourself too much, just get it." So I did. A green 2013 Boss, number 1017, and number 230 done in green. I have no regrets, love driving the Boss after a long day at work, or on the weekends.

So, were you a Mustang fan, having several Mustangs over the years, or did you just buy a Boss because you like the Boss.
Old 10/16/12, 08:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't have a Boss, but I bleed Ford blue. My first toy was a white/red interior Matchbox Bronco II, and my first word was bronco, not mommy or daddy. When I was 5, my dad had a 92 5.0 LX notch that he'd let me sit on his lap, the last block of our street, and steer it into the garage. His first car was a 69 Mustang, then he had a 66 coupe, 76 Cobra II, a 70 something Capri, 84 Capri, and when I was born they had an 86 Taurus and 85 Mazda B-Series pickup. The Mazda was replaced with a Ranger, Taurus replaced with a 93 Taurus wagon. Mom wouldn't drive the 5.0 because it scared her, so dad sold it and we didn't have another Mustang until 2000 when my mom got a V6 coupe to replace the Taurus wagon (which subsequently had almost as much power as the old 5.0!). They also traded the Ranger for a 98 F-150 Supercab. When I was in high school, my god father was trading his 150k freeway mile Contour in for a new Focus and the dealer was only going to give him $600 for the trade - that car became my first car. Eventually mom got tired of the Mustang so she got a 2003 Focus ZX5 with every factory option, retiring the Mustang from dd duty. The Contour's transmission gave out, so the Mustang became my dd - to which a full high end sound system, Eibach springs and Bilstein s/s, Kenny Brown chassis braces front/rear/subframe, and the current Cobra 10th Anniversary wheels were added. I put 120k miles on that car myself, with dozens of trips to SoCal and back, and I even got arrested/license suspended in that car. (In between all this, my dad and I rented an Edge when it first came out in 2008 and drove from the SF Bay Area to Chicago - where he is from and his family has relocated back to - because he was considering replacing the F-150 with an Edge; he ended up getting a 2008 Fusion SE with the Sport Appearance Package and kept the truck haha). This forced me to have to look into something more incognito until the points come off my record, so I picked up a 2005 Escape XLT Sport. At this time, we had in our driveway, my mom's 2003 Focus, dad's 2008 Fusion, my Mustang (under a cover and non-op for the DMV) and my Escape; the F-150 was still parked on the street.

Around this time, some chick slammed into the F-150, denying the bed all up. Of course she had no insurance, and was following her elderly mother to the body shop on our street because her mother backed in to someone in a parking lot. My dad didn't feel it was worth it to raise our insurance premiums because of the no-insurance claim (had basic coverage on the truck since it wasn't worth much anymore) so he put on a new tailight and had the body shop touch up the paint that was scuffed up. He always loved the Escapes though, so he ended up giving away the F-150 to my uncle (biggest regret ever!) and got himself a 2006 Escape Limited.

Cliffnotes: So currently we have the Fusion, two Escapes, the Focus and my poor Mustang. Bottom line, we're a loyal Ford family. I love pretty much all cars, but my heart lies with the blue oval!
Old 10/16/12, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My dad started it all with his blue 1966 2+2 289 4-speed. When we moved across the country in 1974, he sold it for $250 to the people who bought our house. 2 weeks later, the guy who bought it drove it head-on into a brick wall and totaled the car! He always wished that he'd never sold that car. After that, Mustangs just seemed to run in our family.

My older sister's first car was a 77 Stang-2 Ghia. When she totaled it, she traded up to a 78 Ghia. Both of them were 4-bangers / 4-speed. My first car was a 76 Stang-2 Ghia with the 302 / C4 combo. I went through a lot of tires in that car. My younger sister's first car was a 79 Ghia with 4-banger & 4-speed.

I eventually ended up with the 79 Ghia after it bounced around our family. When that car was totally roasted, I bought an 83 GLX triple black convertible. Even though it wasn't a 5.0, it was a TON of fun. I'd drive around in the winter with the top down & heater on full blast. It was like an old fashion sleigh ride! That car was an accident magnet. I got hit more in that car than in all my other cars combined. The wire-harness fried & eventually, the Chicago winters ate through this car. Then, I bought our current Stang, the 88 GT for my dad to enjoy in his retirement. Since he passed away, it is our Stang.

I love the BOSS and would have ordered it BUT it was not available as a convertible. We wanted a little more than just a GT this time, so we ordered a GT500. And just last week, we took delivery of our latest Mustang, a 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 convertible. Here's a picture of our 2 current Mustangs:
Old 10/16/12, 09:11 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^^^^
Shadow,
That is just awesome and I'm completely jealous.----Bill
Old 10/16/12, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love ford and absoulutley hate chevys my dad started off in a 1965 thunderbird 390 with a 4 speed slap stick i think thats what he calls it and then some guy from new york hit him and totalled it ...the car didnt evenrunwhen he first got it and he got it runnin, painted it and wrecked it...then he got a 67 coupe i think it had a 302 and dad blew up the 302 and went and put a 351 cleveland in it from a junk yard out of a torino. he got lost in the country and some guy was pulling a 68 fastback2+2 out of a barn
and my dad goes and asks for directions and the guys says nice car and then he says this was my sons before he went to vietnam and he had died at war so he trades the 67 for the 68 and goes home the 68 had a 390 in it and it was a 4 speed and then he traded that in for a 73 vette and then traded that in for a 85 supra that got repoed and then he had a 86 and 87 supra i remember the 87 because i was a lil kid when he sold it to some lady who totaled it like a week later. he hasnt had a car too him self since recently. my momdrives a 11 fusion, i drive a 98 convertable v6 and my dad has a 11 honda fury, 2006 f250 ( work vehicles) and a 1999 35th anniversery black mustangGT convertable so we are a all ford family here and i have loved mustangs since i was about 5 haha
Attached Images      

Last edited by 1998v6; 10/16/12 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10/16/12, 10:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 1998v6
i love ford and absoulutley hate chevys my dad started off in a 1965 thunderbird 390 with a 4 speed slap stick i think thats what he calls it and then some guy from new york hit him and totalled it ...the car didnt evenrunwhen he first got it and he got it runnin, painted it and wrecked it...then he got a 67 coupe i think it had a 302 and dad blew up the 302 and went and put a 351 cleveland in it from a junk yard out of a torino. he got lost in the country and some guy was pulling a 68 fastback2+2 out of a barn
and my dad goes and asks for directions and the guys says nice car and then he says this was my sons before he went to vietnam and he had died at war so he trades the 67 for the 68 and goes home the 68 had a 390 in it and it was a 4 speed and then he traded that in for a 73 vette and then traded that in for a 85 supra that got repoed and then he had a 86 and 87 supra i remember the 87 because i was a lil kid when he sold it to some lady who totaled it like a week later. he hasnt had a car too him self since recently. my momdrives a 11 fusion, i drive a 98 convertable v6 and my dad has a 11 honda fury, 2006 f250 ( work vehicles) and a 1999 35th anniversery black mustangGT convertable so we are a all ford family here and i have loved mustangs since i was about 5 haha
If anything happens to that 35th Anni edition please please please let me know before you sell it. I want the side skirts off it!
Old 10/17/12, 06:49 AM
GT Member

First car: 68 Mustang that was butchered by a prior owner - but I loved the thing. Snice that time I have always bought what I like but we have also had a Mustang in the family most of the time - the last a 2005 Conv. the Boss just hit me the right way and once I was hooked I kept walking into the dealership until my wife said to just buy the thing already: )
Old 10/17/12, 07:05 AM
GT Member

I am a huge mustang fan and partial to ford. But I also like other cars that arent made by ford. But for my money I would rather have a mustang.

I have owned a few mustangs now and the boss is by far the best.
Old 10/17/12, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

If anything happens to that 35th Anni edition please please please let me know before you sell it. I want the side skirts off it!
im keepin that after he dies haha! after i got done waxing it one day i said so who gets this one and he just started laughing and said man, you got my leg in the grave... youve asked me whoes gonna get all of my guitars and now you want my mustang gees..... lol
Old 10/17/12, 06:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Car guy. Racing guy. History guy. Ford, appeals to me for that reason, the Boss more so. Although truth be told the joy I get driving the Boss makes me want more. Now I'm looking at Porsches,,,thanks to Ford having nothing sportier for me to move into.
Old 10/17/12, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not loyal to anything anymore (used to be one); I have GM, Ford, and BMW vehicles. The Boss was an impulse buy; I'm half regretting it (I should have bought a CTS-V wagon instead and the live rear axle bothers me a bit) and half proud of it since it's the first serialized car I've ever bought and a mile-marker of Ford's engine technology. Maybe in the far future I'll find a cream puff '69 Boss 302 in Calypso Corral and keep the pair as collectible.

In a nutshell, I'm not a Mustang guy or a Ford guy.

Last edited by POS VETT; 10/17/12 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10/17/12, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I have always been a Mustang (Ford) guy. Have always loved the late model mustangs, especially the specialty/limited mustangs. Have owned several cobras, bullitts, mach 1's and now Boss'. That being said I have owned a few chev/chrysler products over the years.
Old 10/18/12, 06:31 AM
V6 Member

Great question, I'm a big car nut/ racing nut - and appreciate the Mustangs of old, but it wasn't until the Boss came out that I though WOW, my next car! The trackability and handling prowess is what got to me. And as someone who's owned 4 Subarus (love the Subie!), I've been so impressed with how Ford has upped the game in the past few years, they've made me a Ford fan as well. (Now, I also want a Raptor ) I have few loyalties in the car world (Ferrari and Subaru - both stemming from motorsports), but like Dayve, I buy what I like and go by the car itself, not just the company. The Boss has me infatuated and I am hopeful to be able to get a Grabber Blue before the end of the year.

Last edited by Nawambo; 10/18/12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10/18/12, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

If anything I have been a Mustang hater in the past. I came from the DSM/Evo world so turbocharged AWD Mitsubishis were my life. Then I started reading reviews and road tests of the Boss. Watched some of the comparison videos that came out. The 100% assent that drivers and reviewers had in raving about the car piqued my interest.

I came for the Boss. It just happened that the Boss was in a mustang shell.
Old 10/18/12, 08:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I just started in 2010 with my 05 but it seems that it will be a life long addiction to Mustangs.
Old 10/18/12, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thevidon
If anything I have been a Mustang hater in the past. I came from the DSM/Evo world so turbocharged AWD Mitsubishis were my life. Then I started reading reviews and road tests of the Boss. Watched some of the comparison videos that came out. The 100% assent that drivers and reviewers had in raving about the car piqued my interest.

I came for the Boss. It just happened that the Boss was in a mustang shell.
You drank the kool aid
Old 10/18/12, 08:49 AM
GT Member

I am a car motorsport guy. Feel in love with cars at a early age and feel in love with the Mustang. I am not a Ford/Chevy guy, I like all types of cars but when it comes to Pony cars I back up the Mustang, always have always will. I went from Cars to Motorcycles and now im back to cars.

List of all vehicle i have owned at one point
First car I had 1990 Camary
First car I bought a 1966 Mustang (auto)
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
1989 Mustang 5.0 Hatch (5spd)
2003 1500 Ram Pick up
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R
2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R
2008 Toyota Camary (for like 3 months)
2009 Toyota Tacoma (4cyl, 5spd, Pre Runner) Great Truck
2012 Boss 302 #1235
Old 10/18/12, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

i have zero brand loyality. I've ownd Lightnings and SRT10 pickups. My last car was a Mercedes C63 the one before it was an E60 M5. Bought the Boss because I thought Ford did a good job with it. Will probably trade it for a ZL1 next year or so, never owned a Camaro.
Old 10/18/12, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
No boss here either. Dig the newer 05+ stangs and some old mopars as well as the newer challengers. Like the dodge trucks over the ford trucks but would drive either one. I don't hate the camaros but I don't love them either unless it has a split bumper on it. I would like to have an older vette or two if I had the cash. I guess you can just call me a car nut.
Old 10/18/12, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
No boss here either. Dig the newer 05+ stangs and some old mopars as well as the newer challengers. Like the dodge trucks over the ford trucks but would drive either one. I don't hate the camaros but I don't love them either unless it has a split bumper on it. I would like to have an older vette or two if I had the cash. I guess you can just call me a car nut.
If I could, I'd have a 1000 car garage for every car I even had an inkling of liking. I'd own a current Camaro, probably a ZL-1 and a 69 Z-28, 67 Stingray, current and old Challengers, a Pantera, FGT, Ferrari F430 (last of the mid engined Ferraris with manual transmission), multiple trucks (lifted and slammed), Model T's, hotrods, ex police P-71s all done up, an E30 M3, Datsun 510 Bluebird imported from Japan so it's right hand drive, R33 Skyline, Miatas of every generation, an Explorer Sport Trac with GT500 drivetrain and lifted 3", Jeeps of all kinds, a Competition Orange SVT Focus just because I always wanted one, Focus RS's imported from Europe, Opel GT (old one), Tesla Roadster and Model S, old school Celica/AE86/Supra/Toyota pickup etc etc etc.

I'm a car nut too, but I feel that Ford still makes some of the best overall cars and trucks. They've never really been the best at any one category, and there were years when they were the worst, but they are always going to be dear to my heart. I will not allow a Camry/Corolla (unless AE86)/other Japanese fillermobile into my family.

Quick Reply: Are you Mustang guys and gals...or