2012-2013 BOSS 302

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/11, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
What to do?

So I am this close on buying the mythical Boss.

I made my "Boss" happy by selling my '82 and agreeing to sell my '08 and now she is DEMANDING that I get a Boss so she doesn't have to hear me talk about it anymore!!

FYI, I lost out on a '69 26 years ago since I was a poor teenager and it has scarred me ever since.

I have looked at all of the local cars and the vast majority are RR with $5-10K ADM.

A dealer is reasonable on the one PF car I have seen (I have a soft spot for White/Black since I saw an '85 car in that combo years ago)

Another dealer has given me first option on a '13 allocation at MSRP.

What to do? I am asking for opinions from those in the know.

Also will Ford offer the "Track attack" for '13 owners?
Old 10/24/11, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot help you with your ultimate decision but I also purchased a new 1982 red Mustang 5.0.

The vehicle was extremely reliable but had horrible build quality.

My 2012 is a very high quality vehicle, IMHO, and I am therefore leaving the UAW sticker in the rear window.

They have done a great job.

Last edited by four-walling; 10/24/11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10/25/11, 12:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
So I am this close on buying the mythical Boss.

I made my "Boss" happy by selling my '82 and agreeing to sell my '08 and now she is DEMANDING that I get a Boss so she doesn't have to hear me talk about it anymore!!

FYI, I lost out on a '69 26 years ago since I was a poor teenager and it has scarred me ever since.

I have looked at all of the local cars and the vast majority are RR with $5-10K ADM.

A dealer is reasonable on the one PF car I have seen (I have a soft spot for White/Black since I saw an '85 car in that combo years ago)

Another dealer has given me first option on a '13 allocation at MSRP.

What to do? I am asking for opinions from those in the know.

Also will Ford offer the "Track attack" for '13 owners?
You can still do track attack with MY13
Old 10/25/11, 08:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
You can still do track attack with MY13
Probably but no official information has been released for the 2013 Boss.
Old 10/25/11, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

The 2013 info is supposed to come out soon. If I was in the market to purchase right now I would wait to see what the 2013 is all about. At that point make a decision.
Old 10/25/11, 09:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not in the know...but congrats on getting the Boss to let you get a Boss. If I were in your shoes, I would take up that dealer on the 13 from what I've read about them. If you're referring to Baker's, the owner supposedly paid $10K extra on that RR to bring it from another dealer over the summer...they're going to have that one for a bit lol.

Last edited by Hytek; 10/25/11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10/25/11, 09:10 AM
V6 Member

IMO, hold off for the 2013 and take the allocation from the dealer offering you MSRP.
Old 10/25/11, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hytek,

I've written off the one at Rod Baker. Too bad. It's a nice car.

As far as the others with ADM, it's not worth THAT much to me. One dealer has offered their's at MSRP but I agree that it's too close to the '13's. That whole buyer's remorse thing.

Let the waiting game begin. I may regret it but you never know.

How was the cruise last month? I wish I could have made it.
Old 10/25/11, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Just a thought. I would wait until we know what the 2013 Boss 302 will offer (and pricing), then go from there. If you don't like the 2013, then there will be plenty of 2012's below MSRP as the pipeline overfills. This is already unfolding now.
Old 10/25/11, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Probably but no official information has been released for the 2013 Boss.
Someone asked when we were there and the staff said it was going to happen
Old 10/25/11, 12:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by goesfast
Just a thought. I would wait until we know what the 2013 Boss 302 will offer (and pricing), then go from there. If you don't like the 2013, then there will be plenty of 2012's below MSRP as the pipeline overfills. This is already unfolding now.
What makes you think this? I'm not arguing, just wondering.

Reason being is that I live in an area with four dealers nearby. Two of them are very big on a national scale. Three already have gone through their allotcations of BOSS cars and won't be able to get anyone a car even if they wanted to. The fourth one I'm not sure about (because I haven't dealt with them) but it's likely the same situation. Edmunds shows only 8 cars for sale in Florida.

Also, it's only October and we're already seeing car numbers coming out in the 2200s, so Ford is well over halfway into selling out the entire 4,000 car run for the year. Thus far, the BOSS has shown that it's not the type of car that sits around on the lot very long.

By my math there are only around 34 cars per state left to sell. I sold my Z4 not too long ago that sold new in the low 40s. There were like 34 of those in my neighborhood alone. I doubt the price-point will be an issue.

Last edited by servitium; 10/25/11 at 12:44 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 10/25/11, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by servitium

Also, it's only October and we're already seeing car numbers coming out in the 2200s, so Ford is well over halfway into selling out the entire 4,000 car run for the year. Thus far, the BOSS has shown that it's not the type of car that sits around on the lot very long.
I am not a business guru but here is an observation.

So I go into a dealer with my wife so she can use her free 2 year service on her car and I start looking at a Boss in the showroom. They are having a sale. The salesman comes up and we talk. Blah, blah, blah. Then the question.."what will it take for you to buy today..."

This dealer has a $10K ADM on their RR car. They still want $46k for it. All they did was knock $7k off of the ADM. The joke is that the car was built on April Fools Day!

So I look it him and say $41k.... He talks to someone else and I hear a "Yeah Right..." The car has been in the showroom since May/June and I bet it will be there longer. I will not buy it at any price from this place.

The economy S#&KS. Gas prices are high. People are out of work. And it will be 20-30 years before these cars have any collector value, if any. FWIW, early ZR1s are selling for 1/3 of their original purchase price.

I know of several dealers in my area that have Boss' sitting around. The reason - MARKET ADJUSTMENT, ADM or Gouge whatever you want to call it!!! The cars at MSRP sell. They have not figured it out yet.

I understand capitalism/supply-demand etc. Obviously, ADM does not equal a quick sale.

How many dealers do you see that have multiple GT500 on the lot/showroom?
Some of them sitting for over a year. And the $80K KRs. I would call that market saturation. And GT500's are not all over the road.

IMHO, the market has set the equlibrium price and it does not equal ADM.

I feel better now.
Old 10/25/11, 05:21 PM
GT Member

I am not a business guru but here is an observation.

So I go into a dealer with my wife so she can use her free 2 year service on her car and I start looking at a Boss in the showroom. They are having a sale. The salesman comes up and we talk. Blah, blah, blah. Then the question.."what will it take for you to buy today..."

This dealer has a $10K ADM on their RR car. They still want $46k for it. All they did was knock $7k off of the ADM. The joke is that the car was built on April Fools Day!

So I look it him and say $41k.... He talks to someone else and I hear a "Yeah Right..." The car has been in the showroom since May/June and I bet it will be there longer. I will not buy it at any price from this place.

The economy S#&KS. Gas prices are high. People are out of work. And it will be 20-30 years before these cars have any collector value, if any. FWIW, early ZR1s are selling for 1/3 of their original purchase price.

I know of several dealers in my area that have Boss' sitting around. The reason - MARKET ADJUSTMENT, ADM or Gouge whatever you want to call it!!! The cars at MSRP sell. They have not figured it out yet.

I understand capitalism/supply-demand etc. Obviously, ADM does not equal a quick sale.

How many dealers do you see that have multiple GT500 on the lot/showroom?
Some of them sitting for over a year. And the $80K KRs. I would call that market saturation. And GT500's are not all over the road.

I feel better now.
What you should have done is gone in there and talked up the 2013 and how it will have all these new features and that most people are now just going to wait for the 2013... and then throw in a " no one is paying above sticker for a 2012 anymore, I know a couple of people who already put a deposit down for the 2013" and see if there eyebrows raise. but dont waste your time with the general salesman talk to the manager or someone who can make the deal.
Old 10/26/11, 07:10 AM
V6 Member

I understand capitalism/supply-demand etc. Obviously, ADM does not equal a quick sale...

I feel better now.

Yeah man. My post to goesfast was only addressing what I've experienced in shopping for a BOSS in Florida. I've found them hard to come by at MSRP, which nearly all nearby dealers sell at. Most (or probably all) of the dealers in my area have sold all they've been allocated - so anybody buying one is going to have it shipped in from another dealer or they'll have to travel long distances.

All that said, you and the overcharging dealer seem to have a difference of opinion regarding the principle of supply/demand. It seems your opinion is winning out if he's sitting on the car this long.
Old 10/26/11, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by servitium
What makes you think this? I'm not arguing, just wondering.

Reason being is that I live in an area with four dealers nearby. Two of them are very big on a national scale. Three already have gone through their allotcations of BOSS cars and won't be able to get anyone a car even if they wanted to. The fourth one I'm not sure about (because I haven't dealt with them) but it's likely the same situation. Edmunds shows only 8 cars for sale in Florida.

By my math there are only around 34 cars per state left to sell. I sold my Z4 not too long ago that sold new in the low 40s. There were like 34 of those in my neighborhood alone. I doubt the price-point will be an issue.
Understood. I think it largely depends on where you live that dictates pricing/availability. Florida is not one of those "good" spots. If you stand back and take a broader look at Boss sales, they're not going too well. The recession certainly doesn't help (and gas prices, etc.), but these cars represent a very attractive value-priced product that should be hard to find anywhere. But they're not. There are plenty of Boss's throughout the US that have ended up at smaller dealers than the larger scale ones in your area. And they can't move them even at MSRP. Now wait as winter approaches and you'll be able to snap them up a lot cheaper. Just be patient and the deal will come to you. Now, add the fact that the new 2013's are around the corner and you've got too much supply and not enough demand that will drive prices down overall. It's happened in the recent past with the Bullitts, and even GT500's once the pipeline filled up over the top. And it's beginning to happen again.

Last edited by goesfast; 10/26/11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10/26/11, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

just remember the 03-04 Cobras/Mach 1's at the end there were rebates................
Old 10/26/11, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

i looked online found all the dealers with the colors i wanted..... and started calling down the list............ 4-7 calls later found my boss in fayettville NC from crown ford........great dealership.........
Old 10/27/11, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
i looked online found all the dealers with the colors i wanted..... and started calling down the list............ 4-7 calls later found my boss in fayettville NC from crown ford........great dealership.........
That's exactly how you do it! Search until you find the right dealer offering the right price. And be patient...............
Old 10/27/11, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goesfast
That's exactly how you do it! Search until you find the right dealer offering the right price. And be patient...............
That's how I got invoice!
Old 10/27/11, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Oops, i just walked into a dealer and said. I want to buy a Boss, it must be Orange and include the Torsen. I suppose they all did enjoy a laugh and think I was kidding , being 5' foot tall and female. Wonder if that's why I got it for MSRP?

Then again maybe not, i did try one other dealer first who had NO allocations because the owner took the one LS for himself. Do shop around!