Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Weight: GT vs. Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/11, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight: GT vs. Boss?

I can't find the weight difference and I was asked earlier. Any help is appreciated.
Old 6/10/11, 07:41 AM
GT Member

From the spec sheet for 2011 GT it's 3605 vs Boss spec @ 3632, couldn't find the 2012 GT specs.
Old 6/10/11, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Didn't they say light weight?
Old 6/10/11, 08:08 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
Didn't they say light weight?
What do you mean? They didn't change any of the GT parts to lighter weight ones on the Boss.

So given it has extras like the front splitter and quad exhaust its going to be heavier than the GT.
Old 6/10/11, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

The publication that Ford has about the Boss 302 inidicated it was lighter in weight. At least is how I understood it. The quad exhaust probably only weighs about 5 lbs, splitter another 6 lbs. We have lighter wheels, less insulation, no satellite radio along with all the wiring, modules required for that, no fogs or driving lamps along with wiring and relays for that, no power seats which is a HUGE weight savings! No navigation another weight advantage, no sunroof huge weight savings. etc....Obviously a bigger weight difference between the boss and a loaded gt vs. the base gt. But still I was hoping it was lighter. Oh well it still kicks butt.

I guess it's time to start to start gutting it

Nah, not yet at least
Old 6/10/11, 08:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The rear wheels and tires account for some of the added weight along with adjustable dampers and larger sway bars. I bet the front strut brace weighs more too. Remember Ford removed 11 pounds of sound deadening material from the interior.
Old 6/10/11, 08:32 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The publication that Ford has about the Boss 302 inidicated it was lighter in weight. At least is how I understood it. The quad exhaust probably only weighs about 5 lbs, splitter another 6 lbs. We have lighter wheels, less insulation, no satellite radio along with all the wiring, modules required for that, no fogs or driving lamps along with wiring and relays for that, no power seats which is a HUGE weight savings! No navigation another weight advantage, no sunroof huge weight savings. etc....Obviously a bigger weight difference between the boss and a loaded gt vs. the base gt. But still I was hoping it was lighter. Oh well it still kicks butt.

Nah, not yet at least
The base GT doesn't include many of the options you just mentioned.
Old 6/10/11, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The base GT doesn't include many of the options you just mentioned.

Yes, I know that's why it's mentioned in my post you quoted.
Old 6/10/11, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I obviously was only considering the -'s and not all the +'s that 5 dot 0 mentioned. Good point. Hey this is my first Ford purchase and I got to say it's better balanced and better handling than any of my prior Vette'sdon't get me wrong I still love GM I just hate that they are completely missing the point with the Camaro and adding all this BS options and making it a huge fat pig! And don't get me started on the ZL1 (cough-Shelby) That's what brought me to the Boss a stripped down competition version of a car. That's what gets my blood pumping
Old 6/10/11, 08:52 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Think about a 1969 Boss 302, those still weighed 3400lbs and the new one does everything better than those.
Old 6/10/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah!! trust me I'm not complaining
Old 6/10/11, 01:28 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Hey this is my first Ford purchase and I got to say it's better balanced and better handling than any of my prior Vette'sdon't get me wrong I still love GM I just hate that they are completely missing the point with the Camaro and adding all this BS options and making it a huge fat pig! And don't get me started on the ZL1 (cough-Shelby) That's what brought me to the Boss a stripped down competition version of a car. That's what gets my blood pumping
That's what brought me here too, albeit from the European car side. I would like my Boss even more if it had manual window cranks and door locks. Still I can't complain. One of my favorite features is the dial a/c. None of that stupid climate control BS, just dial in a bit of fan and a bit of cool and there you go! I'll admit, I'm no longer man enough to take a black roofed coupe with no a/c, my MGB-GT days are over.

Call me
Old 6/10/11, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nah, not yet at least
The Boss wheels are actually quite a bit heavier I believe than the standard GT wheels. I think the 18's are just over 26lbs while the Brembo wheels are near 28lbs., from what I have seen the Boss wheels are in the 30lb range for the non LS and close to 32lbs for the LS.

The 3605 that Ford quotes is for a standard Mustang GT without the Nav and other goodies.

I think going from the OEM Boss wheels to the 18's in the FRPP catalog

These:

Which only weigh 20lbs ea. would do wonders for the car..you save almost 40lbs of rotational mass on the car..not to mention all 4 corners have a 10" wide wheel. Nice square setup.

Also I would consider a aftermarket wheel ala BBS.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 6/10/11 at 01:38 PM.
Old 6/10/11, 04:48 PM
BOSS Member

Actually the quad exhaust weighs a bit more than 5lbs.
Old 6/10/11, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Knight

So given it has extras like the front splitter and quad exhaust its going to be heavier than the GT.
Splitter weighs nothing. I thought the box was empty when mine came ups.
Old 6/10/11, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they may mean lighter rotational mass....
Old 6/10/11, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
don't get me wrong I still love GM I just hate that they are completely missing the point with the Camaro and adding all this BS options and making it a huge fat pig!
That Zeta RWD chassis is heavier to start with for the Camaro, since it came from one that was developed for the large 4-door Australian sedans.

Of course, the S197's chassis was said to be "inspired by" elements of the architecture used for the Lincoln LS 4-door sedans.

GM is supposed to be working on a smaller version in the next few years.
Old 8/22/11, 04:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Theres also added weight due to the 8.5 qrts of oil..
Old 8/22/11, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

the strut tower bar is probably 40 pound son its own. i couldn't believe how heavy it was on my 10, the only difference between the two is that the boss strut bar is curved. Also the factory mufflers weigh a ton. i would bet each of them are 40 pounds. one was heavier by the arm dyno than the flowmaster hush power muffs i swapped to.
Old 8/22/11, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't think Ford EVER said the Boss was lighter than the GT. In fact the early interviews all said it was HEAVIER. I think it was like 26-33lbs. heavier.

Quick Reply: Weight: GT vs. Boss?