Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

We don't need track key for launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/11, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We don't need track key for launch control

i was having some stuff done on my car at Dallas Mustang today and was complaining that I would miss launch control at the strip. that was really the only thing i miss since the cammed tune can be done already on aftermarket tunes. Archie over at Dallas Mustang said he knew a way to do it and went about programming a tune only launch control in my strip tune for the Boss. Granted, it's not as easy to set as the TracKey tune, but once you get it right you shouldn't have to fiddle much. You set the hold RPM using the SCT. the video below is the launch control working. It;s set at 2500 rpm hold and then when the clutch comes up it automatically goes to WOT. Archie thinks this will work on normal GTs too. You can see it in the vid below:

Old 10/29/11, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweeeeeeeeet!!
Old 10/29/11, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty cool they're able to program that in!

Thinking of "launch control", though, I can't help but think of the Top Gear episode with the GTR... "Launch Control" is described in-depth at about 5:50...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNAI0...eature=related
Old 10/29/11, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MSD makes a controller to do this also. You set the launch RPM in 100 rpm increments by adjusting a couple of adjusters with a small screw driver. You hold the clutch pedal to the floor, activate the MSD unit and hold the gas pedal to the floor and the MSD box stutters the ignition at the selected RPM until you release the clutch pedal, which then you go to WOT.
Old 10/29/11, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
MSD makes a controller to do this also. You set the launch RPM in 100 rpm increments by adjusting a couple of adjusters with a small screw driver. You hold the clutch pedal to the floor, activate the MSD unit and hold the gas pedal to the floor and the MSD box stutters the ignition at the selected RPM until you release the clutch pedal, which then you go to WOT.
yeah only all you need for this is a sct tuner and a tune, 99% of us have that tuner already.
Old 10/29/11, 09:28 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

so who needs the Trackey?
.........just people who want a shorter warranty...

I predict Ford will sell about 100 trackeys in 1st month then nothing.....
Old 10/29/11, 09:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JPC
so who needs the Trackey?
.........just people who want a shorter warranty...

I predict Ford will sell about 100 trackeys in 1st month then nothing.....
At least with Trackey they have a warranty. If your after-market tune kills your motor in any way.... you have NO warranty....

In other words... some warranty is better than NO warranty
Old 10/29/11, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

+1 Agree
Old 10/29/11, 11:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1

Ah yes, Ive good times with the msd 'stutter box' in my friends cobra
Old 10/30/11, 12:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
At least with Trackey they have a warranty. If your after-market tune kills your motor in any way.... you have NO warranty....

In other words... some warranty is better than NO warranty
as im buying the track key programing this is a mute point to me, i have a friend with a 2003 cobra, every time he took it in they would check it for uneven tire wear to sea if he was doing burnout......

anyways i have an aftermarket tune also..... CAI.... mufflers.... the CAI required it made the motor run lean, if something breaks its simple you put your stock stuff back on and put the stock programing back in, if you can do this as a mustang owner that wants to play alittle...... maybe you should buy a vette or BMW

Last edited by Resolution78; 10/30/11 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10/30/11, 12:34 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Resolution78

as im buying the track key programing this is a mute point to me, i have a friend with a 2003 cobra, every time he took it in they would check it for uneven tire wear to sea if he was doing burnout......

anyways i have an aftermarket tune also..... CAI.... mufflers.... the CAI required it made the motor run lean, if something breaks its simple you put your stock stuff back on and put the stock programing back in, if you can do this as a mustang owner that wants to play alittle...... maybe you should buy a vette or BMW
Where have you been the whole time??? We at the Ford dealership can detect if a vehicle was previously tuned or not even if you program it back to stock.. all new 2011 and up mustangs have this ability.
Old 10/30/11, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Where have you been the whole time??? We at the Ford dealership can detect if a vehicle was previously tuned or not even if you program it back to stock.. all new 2011 and up mustangs have this ability.
What a Maroon.

Last edited by boss man; 10/30/11 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10/30/11, 08:36 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by boss man
What a Marron
Whatever you say. But don't come crying when the dealer turns down a warranty repair because you previously tuned the car
Old 10/30/11, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78

This "measuring tread depth" thing is bogus. If you know you have a dealer that pulls crap, get yourself a set of steel junkyard rims and put on the absolute cheapest tires you can find for each trip you go in for service. Let them measure the depth all they want. What are they going to do next, start some tv show CSI type of automotive forensic analysis of your rear wheel wells looking for "excessive tire compound particulates" ? Or perhaps 'demand' to see 'your real tires' ?

Also regarding the detection of aftermarket tunes, is their some sort of hidden black box that keeps a nicely hidden record of the vehicles usage? This is a very 'big brother' slippery slope as relating to the owners privacy rights. Bringing my car in for warranty service shouldn't allow a dealer to go digging into a little black box on a fishing expedition for warranty nullifying mods. Oh I am sure stuff like this can be rationalized all in the name of SAFETY...

This might make an interesting thread on its own regarding what, if any, 'black box/event recorder' exists on new Mustangs and what legal right a dealer has or hasn't to do this.
Old 10/30/11, 02:27 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by ace72ace

This "measuring tread depth" thing is bogus. If you know you have a dealer that pulls crap, get yourself a set of steel junkyard rims and put on the absolute cheapest tires you can find for each trip you go in for service. Let them measure the depth all they want. What are they going to do next, start some tv show CSI type of automotive forensic analysis of your rear wheel wells looking for "excessive tire compound particulates" ? Or perhaps 'demand' to see 'your real tires' ?

Also regarding the detection of aftermarket tunes, is their some sort of hidden black box that keeps a nicely hidden record of the vehicles usage? This is a very 'big brother' slippery slope as relating to the owners privacy rights. Bringing my car in for warranty service shouldn't allow a dealer to go digging into a little black box on a fishing expedition for warranty nullifying mods. Oh I am sure stuff like this can be rationalized all in the name of SAFETY...

This might make an interesting thread on its own regarding what, if any, 'black box/event recorder' exists on new Mustangs and what legal right a dealer has or hasn't to do this.
I have it all answered on one thread and ill link it here. Gotta wait till I get on a pc to do it though. But it is simply a pcm reflash counter that counts the number of flashes you do to a pcm. They can match the flash amount with fords record to see if someone has been into the pcm tuning other than themselfs.
Old 10/30/11, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

they can't tell the ecm was flashed, just that it was reset. that comes from the tuner ive been using, who work at a dealership until a year or so ago.
Old 10/30/11, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

i have been going to other shops not ford related with secondary warrenties ....ohh go figure those are third parties who have nothing to due with ford

plus i may have a few friends at some dealers
Old 10/30/11, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I have it all answered on one thread and ill link it here. Gotta wait till I get on a pc to do it though. But it is simply a pcm reflash counter that counts the number of flashes you do to a pcm. They can match the flash amount with fords record to see if someone has been into the pcm tuning other than themselfs.

so what your saying is buy another PCM before i take it in lol

seroiusly i like things to run good and last a long time, so my tuner doesnt push the limits....... but with a CAI it threw the air fuel mixture off, required to be corrected.... i didnt want it to run lean and ruin my engine anyways i drive the hell outa my car, had it since september 10 and it has 5k miles on it already. my goal is to have the 2012 boss with the MOST milage i would like to see it go over the 1,000,000 mile mark one day... the way i drive its possible..... a few motors and transmissions later but it wil always stay N/A and in the idea of how ford designed it
Old 10/31/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

That's great news!! that was the only I was lacking as well. Shane, do you control it off of the cruise control switches as well? Or controlled by the SCT? Is it something the end user can program through the SCT or does it have to be added by a tuner? Thanks for the pioneering Shane!!
Old 10/31/11, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

launch hold rpm is controlled using the adj options menu in the SCT tuner, iirc the parameter is neutral idle for adjusting launch rpm. as for the other part, i have no idea what has to be done in the tune to tell the car to go WOT once it sense the clutch is fully released.

Quick Reply: We don't need track key for launch control