Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Video of a 2012 Boss 302 lapping Laguna Seca!

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/11, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video of a 2012 Boss 302 lapping Laguna Seca!

Link to Autoblog

This video was just great!

Spoiler alert...this is the standard Boss 302, not the Laguna Seca edition, and it beat not only the M3, not only the Audi R8, but Godzilla himself, the Nissan GT-R.

See the attached file for a screencap from fastestlaps.com with LS's fastest lap times...

JR
Attached Thumbnails Video of a 2012 Boss 302 lapping Laguna Seca!-untitled.jpg  
Old 3/9/11, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very impressive!

but but but... it has a solid rear axle! it can't possibly handle at all!

Last edited by LLZuB; 3/9/11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 3/9/11, 12:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
They probably didn't use the LS because it wasn't going to be any faster...
Old 3/9/11, 01:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
I would think the Corsa R compound tires on the LS would be good for one second a lap.
Old 3/9/11, 01:45 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
haha
thats funny

And not true.
Old 3/9/11, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting results...

For example, the Audi R8, v8, vs. the R8, v10: +100 hp only give .5 sec. faster lap?? I have to question what other factors were involved... Weather, driver, tires, etc.

It reminds me of dyno. results. The same car on the same dyno. on different days can give two very different results, ya know?
Old 3/9/11, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
haha
thats funny

And not true.
Well Mustangs Daily thought it was true.....

http://bossmustangsonline.com/press-...ustangs-daily/
Old 3/9/11, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

more power doesnt necessarily equate to better times. Extra power could be causing wheel spin out of corners etc. Just like slapping a blower on a car with stock tires might not give that much of an advantage. Just look at the Super Snake...no traction LOL
Old 3/9/11, 04:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Its still faster than the street BOSS 302..
by a small ammount or not, its still faster head to head.
Old 3/9/11, 04:22 PM

From the article cloud9 mentioned:

"We were also able to grab a Boss 302 with the Laguna Seca for a couple of laps, and while we came away impressed, we were left with a feeling that more could have been done to the car. Ford says the Laguna Seca will do a lap at its namesake track a full second faster than the standard Boss 302, but we have a hunch that most of this comes from the sticker tires. "
Old 3/9/11, 05:51 PM

Maybe someone will get the bright idea to put the Laguna tire package on a base Boss and see what happens.
Old 3/9/11, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by s197ford
Maybe someone will get the bright idea to put the Laguna tire package on a base Boss and see what happens.
The R compound tires won't lower lap times on a Boss? I know there's a difference and I have no doubt the LS handles better and would be faster but part of that has to be the tires no?
Old 3/9/11, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

I have that bright idea. I'm planning on getting a set of LS wheels & tires for track day events
Old 3/9/11, 07:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

They are both street Bosses. The 302S and 302R are track cars. I find it really interesting how most of the reviews essentially minimize the performance differences between the cars. All acknowledge R-compound tires would obviously make the Laguna Seca faster, as they would any car, so that's meaningless since most of us that will track our Bosses will use R-compound tires on the track.

In fact a couple reviews actually preferred the "regular" Boss. One said it had more feel and another said the Laguna Seca "felt" longer in the front.

The other factor is the tested Bosses had Recaros, Torsen, the trans cooling scoop and brake cooling kit from the LS so it seems that these are the major factors in actual performance.
Old 3/9/11, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9
They are both street Bosses. The 302S and 302R are track cars. I find it really interesting how most of the reviews essentially minimize the performance differences between the cars. All acknowledge R-compound tires would obviously make the Laguna Seca faster, as they would any car, so that's meaningless since most of us that will track our Bosses will use R-compound tires on the track.

In fact a couple reviews actually preferred the "regular" Boss. One said it had more feel and another said the Laguna Seca "felt" longer in the front.

The other factor is the tested Bosses had Recaros, Torsen, the trans cooling scoop and brake cooling kit from the LS so it seems that these are the major factors in actual performance.
According to the comment below from the same article the Torsen helps with the handling. But what really matters is not what a professional driver can do with the car it is what the average guy taking it to the track can do. Like most of the people writing the reviews from the media event at Laguna Seca. None of them went over the top about how much better the LS is over the Boss. But trust me if I didn't have two kids that want to ride in the back seats I would have ordered a LS and I wouldn't look back.

"After a few laps we were also thankful for the Recaro seats, which were quite comfortable on the street and very functional on the track. We could feel the side bolsters holding us in place while going through turns, and Boss 302 owners would be wise to add them to the options list. They come in a package with the Torsen differential, and while we can’t comment on the Boss 302 with the stock differential since Ford didn’t have one on hand, they told us the handling differences are notable. We’ll have to take their word for it."
Old 3/9/11, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Wasn't there at least one review that mentioned the benefits of the LS aero as well? I also seem to remember a race team talking about one of the new wingless Boss race cars and saying they wouldn't use it over their current car without more downforce (like with the LS). Sorry for the lack of specifics.

But really the two versions are pretty similar, I would expect similar times out of them.
Old 3/9/11, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by RixterGT
But really the two versions are pretty similar, I would expect similar times out of them.
I would expect the LS to have more of a difference on a higher speed track like VIR. The added downforce and stickier tires should make a noticeable difference in high speed corners. Hopefully C and D tests both the Boss and LS at next years VIR event.
Old 3/9/11, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I would expect the LS to have more of a difference on a higher speed track like VIR. The added downforce and stickier tires should make a noticeable difference in high speed corners. Hopefully C and D tests both the Boss and LS at next years VIR event.
Good point, I look forward to seeing more results. I wonder how often we'll get to see side-by-side comparisons of the two.
Old 3/10/11, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Gary, I was the one who posted the info about the "long front" of the LS not being the best. That was directly from a conversation with one of the Rehagen drivers.

My suspicion is that the LS faster track time is largely due to the R compound Corsas. Furthermore, I think that the improved aero in the LS (wing and splitter) would only help on a few tracks with significant amounts of long high-speed straights.
Old 3/10/11, 08:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by StillIntense
Gary, I was the one who posted the info about the "long front" of the LS not being the best. That was directly from a conversation with one of the Rehagen drivers.

My suspicion is that the LS faster track time is largely due to the R compound Corsas. Furthermore, I think that the improved aero in the LS (wing and splitter) would only help on a few tracks with significant amounts of long high-speed straights.
Thanks! I tried looking for the post, but gave up.

Quick Reply: Video of a 2012 Boss 302 lapping Laguna Seca!