Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Two Track Days in One

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/12, 08:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Two Track Days in One

Wow, Just returned home to Tennessee from Utah after spending my first ever and last ever track day at the amazing Miller Motorsports Park.

Let me first say Thanks to the Ford BOSS Team Design/Engineering/Marketing for putting so much heart and soul into our cars and the BOSS Track Attack event.
I saw some of the early posts last year of people complaining about the format. I guess those guys thought they knew all they needed and just wanted to drive.

I on the other hand, have never been on a track. I've been around enough to know driving fast well is not easy and takes a lot of time and commitment and at least some talent. I was pretty sure going into this that I had none of the above and low and behold the truth was revealed. My car is really really really fast and I am really, really, really NOT.

I cannot say enough about what a great time my brother in law and I had. The whole experience was worth the time and money it took times 10. This was one of the things on my bucket list. Do a driving school. Check.

I found the instructors to be great for people like me. Not sure if they did, but they seemed to be helping the guys that had some track time before coming.
They did, what I felt like, was a lot of one-on-one with people so they gave you plenty of opportunity to ask questions and they also would ride with you to help as you went around the track.

The most impressive part of the day for me was the last thing we did. They call it "Instructor payback". You ride the track in a BOSS with one of the Instructors Driving. WOW, WOW, WOW! Our cars will absolutely fly around corners. No Muss No Fuss they just get it done when driven properly.

Things about track driving this newbie found out.
You sit a lot closer to the wheel than I do normally.
Yes sir I will leave my hands at 9 and 3, you don't need to get the duck tape.
Track Key, while useless for normal street driving, helps on the track.
Close the door BEFORE pulling belts down.
Heel Toe is a must to go Fast.
I SUCK at Heel Toe.
Following the Instructor is easy.
Staying on line by your self is hard.
Getting in and out of the car is a pain in the Butt.
Driving beyond what you thought you could is fun!
Until it's not!

You really need to do this if you're sitting on the fence.
Old 4/25/12, 07:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
track attack

I agree, I thought it was a great experiance, first class, disneyland for a car guy
Old 4/25/12, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by truegeek
Wow, Just returned home to Tennessee from Utah after spending my first ever and last ever track day at the amazing Miller Motorsports Park.
I'm hoping you meant to say, "first ever and last ever track day at the amazing Miller Motorsports Park".

"But I will be going to an event/other events closer to home......."

Our cars just cry out, Track Me! Track Me!

My car is really really really fast and I am really, really, really NOT.
Same here when I got signed off for Group 3 with NASA the instructor realted you need to get the heel toe down if you want to get faster!

Yes, Yes, so that is my main goal!

The 14-16 of May can't get here fast enough!
Old 4/25/12, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No I meant my first and last track event period. I refuse to subject my wallet to the crack mistress of track racing. I already blow enough on other useless things. Now maybe if I'd have found the track crack first it would be a different matter. I can see why it has captured so many it is amazingly thrilling.

Last edited by truegeek; 4/25/12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 4/25/12, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

No I meant my first and last track event period. I refuse to subject my wallet to the crack mistress of track racing. I already blow enough on other useless things. Now maybe if I'd have found the track crack first it would be a different matter. I can see why it has captured so many it is amazingly thrilling.
Tracking is a slippery slope... I applaud you on your restraint. I am hooked big time now!
Doug, we are going to be there that week too. Fun times!
Old 4/25/12, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tracking is the most expensive drug out there, save for boating and aviation.
Old 4/26/12, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Tracking is the most expensive drug out there, save for boating and aviation.
I wish I saw this post before I got addicted....my estimated cost to finish this year is going to be around 15k. And that's just hpdes and not competing except the random time attacks I get in.