Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Tuning the Boss

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/11, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning the Boss

One of the easiest ways to improve the performance in today's modern cars is to get a custom tune done. With the Boss and the track key this might not be possible. I wonder how the tuners will get around this ? Is it even worth it ? Could this be the wave of the future ? Just some things to ponder.
Old 3/3/11, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Usually Ford is the most tuner friendly among manufacturers. I am sure tuners will still be able to mess with them.
Old 3/3/11, 08:55 PM
GT Member

It seems that a tuner could provide a tune to replace the stock one and then the red key would be the fartory one and the standard key would be the "tune" with the ability to revert back to factory for the reg. key. Maybe a tuner would have some comments on that. With the trackkey, I would leave it alone and rely on FRPP to update the tune as needed/options rather than the SCT that I do now.
Old 3/3/11, 09:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
Usually Ford is the most tuner friendly among manufacturers. I am sure tuners will still be able to mess with them.
The tuner I asked said just that.....I can mess with the TracKey tune.
Old 3/4/11, 04:53 AM
Cobra Member

Arent we just starting to get over the myth that the GT's 5 liter was close to maxed out like everyone thought before it came out? LOL

The Boss will not be maxed out either. I am sure people will find more power in it.
Old 3/4/11, 06:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People ask this question with every new mustang "will tuners be able to..."
Yes they will in time it will be cracked wide open like every other mustang ever.
Old 3/4/11, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone who implies that a factory performance motor is maxed out is just plain wrong, (trying to keep it nice here) all motors especially performance motors are what I say "detuned" and limited from the factory. What we always must remember is that the most important factor in engine design are 1. durability during warranty period 2. emissions requirements 3. NVH 4. fuel economy. Performance is something they can squeeze in between those factors. If people have been able to squeeze 70 plus horses n/a out of the current 5.0, just realize the potential of the 302 with cnc'd heads, and fully blueprinted, bulletproofed shortblock. Just a little more porting out of the intake/throttle body and properly matching cams along with other bolt ons, I see an easy 100 plus hp gain n/a trust me these motors are merely platforms for creative minds!!!

**** listen to me and all this time I was saying "I am going to leave this one stock, now this thread has gotten my juices flowing"
Old 3/4/11, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** listen to me and all this time I was saying "I am going to leave this one stock, now this thread has gotten my juices flowing"
That was my rationale too, but I already have a pile of parts sitting in the garage and don't even have a car yet. Here we go again

Old 3/4/11, 07:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Great thread, now to see what people start doing
Old 3/4/11, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not saying there isn't more left on the table with the Boss. What I'm questioning is it possible to tune the car with it having two tunes to choose from via the track key. Is it even worth messing with ? As it is you have the street tune and track tune to choose from and neither voids your warranty. Would be nice to see this become the norm.
Old 3/4/11, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

From my experience and the way I understand the TrackKey setup, yes I do believe non-ford tuners should be able to access and keep the two key/program setup.
Old 3/4/11, 12:17 PM
GT Member

I like the idea of a performance tune and yet a mild one for commuting due to the gas we have here. Prem Gas is 90 Octane.
I talked to vendor about thier tuning H/W and S/W and I think that the response is standard, "we do not mess with cam timing". I think that there is a lot yet to come with cam timing in the tuning. I would like to hear more on tuning for the BOSS!
Old 3/4/11, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be a seperate map so I'm sure they can modify map 1 and map 2 etc...
Old 3/4/11, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I for one love the track key option on the Boss and wish other manufacturers would follow. The idea of having a street tune and track tune to choose from with voiding the warranty is awesome. Kudos to Ford for coming up with it! Now to only get my hands on a Boss Mustang.
Old 3/4/11, 02:05 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my experience and the way I understand the TrackKey setup, yes I do believe non-ford tuners should be able to access and keep the two key/program setup.
They may... but that isn't the case with the 'advance spark ignition system'. Aftermarket tuners are octane specific and I have not read where any tuners apply the octane sensing strategy. So...

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/4/11 at 02:07 PM.