2012-2013 BOSS 302

trackey install and detonation not happy!

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/12, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trackey install and detonation not happy! UPDATE

Just got trackey installed, not happy
As soon as you give it alot off throttle you can hear detonation. I have 91 in the car. Also seems to be sluggish and not as quick reving as the normal key. Can I get my money back ? scared of the spark knock

Last edited by hori; 4/21/12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 4/20/12, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Hori

Not a common issue with TK.

Consider tking the car to Ford and having them inspect/reflash the system.

Could be a fuel issue. The number of cases of fuel being sold below standard is too common.

Have you considered running out the fuel you now have and refilling from another source and or adding a octane additive?

I am very happy with the TK in my Boss.

Hope you can work this out.
Old 4/20/12, 03:13 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Get better fuel. Your 91 is probably only about 89. Are you supposed to run 91 with the TK tune? Octane boost maybe?
Old 4/20/12, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I would definitely take it back to Ford and have them to check it over.
Old 4/20/12, 03:40 PM
GT Member

The car has 91 from very first day. I can only get 91 here however the trackey was designed to work on 91. I stopped and put my black key in and everything was fine and normal.
The dealer is 1.5 hrs drive and I am about to go away for a month. I guess I should call them just so they have it on file about my problem. I guess thats why the car felt underwhelming under throttle as it`s pulling timing? but ok with black key so must be the different fuel mapping.
Old 4/20/12, 03:49 PM
RTD
GT Member

Crap, not good.

I just ordered Track Key today, should be getting it next weekend.

I do run 93 though, bummer that Sunoco no longer sells 94.
Old 4/20/12, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Well at least we know the tk advances the timing. I agree with the poor gas statements. Which station do you go to? Chevron>shell>76>mobil in my book and chevrons what's recommended bythefinicky BMWs
Old 4/20/12, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car will ping if you go to WOT under 3K RPM. This is noted in the install instructions.
Old 4/20/12, 05:13 PM
GT Member

ok I did hear the pinging in low revs and you are correct it is noted in the install intructions.. my question does anyone else hear this and could it be harmful to the engine.

I always thought ping was bad and bad tunes suffer from ping? Anybody?
Old 4/20/12, 05:14 PM
GT Member

oh was shell 91 gas
Old 4/20/12, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Maybe this is why at least one Ford engineer (quoted somewhere on this forum) said that folks probably wouldn't like TK on the street. Also - TRACK Key. Anyway, a little knock is normal, but a lot can be bad. Even says so in the owners manual. I second the idea to try an octane booster and see if it helps.
Old 4/20/12, 07:32 PM
V6 Member

I have run HEB -grocery chain 93- occasionally. No knocking. I did have one track of Shell premium that knocked, put in some octane boost, cleared that up.
no problems at all after at least a dozen tanks. Runs great on the street, but the engine braking in 1&2 is tedious in traffic.
Old 4/21/12, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread may be of help: http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...ion/?topicseen
Old 4/21/12, 07:14 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RTD
Crap, not good.

I do run 93 though, bummer that Sunoco no longer sells 94.
That blows...

I have two stations by me that still sell 94. There must not have been enough demand to warrant stocking it anymore.
Old 4/21/12, 07:32 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Car will ping if you go to WOT under 3K RPM. This is noted in the install instructions.
Interesting. That shows some pretty good advance.

But it also tells us that you shouldn't bog a dang high performance engine anyways! That baby is tuned to run up to redline. Who wouldn't downshift so as to avoid a sub 3k WOT?? Rev that sucker up! Don't granny it!

I can't believe the comments sometime...

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/21/12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 4/21/12, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

Here is a question. Has anyone tested the Track vs. Normal key( maybe do quarter mile passes) to see if and how much the HP is improved in Tack Key Mode? Ford Racing says they believe it gives about 30 HP. I would like to know if anyone has really seen a valad improvement via testing? Maybe even on a chassis dyno?

Joe
Old 4/21/12, 07:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcobrar
Here is a question. Has anyone tested the Track vs. Normal key( maybe do quarter mile passes) to see if and how much the HP is improved in Tack Key Mode? Ford Racing says they believe it gives about 30 HP. I would like to know if anyone has really seen a valad improvement via testing? Maybe even on a chassis dyno?

Joe
Yes, theres been a few Dynos and such, it changes the engines behavior for track use, No HP gain..
Old 4/21/12, 07:54 AM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by wildcobrar

Joe
Wait, where does Ford Racing say TK gives 30 hp?
Old 4/21/12, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Interesting. That shows some pretty good advance.

But it also tells us that you shouldn't bog a dang high performance engine anyways! That baby is tuned to run up to redline. Who wouldn't downshift so as to avoid a sub 3k WOT?? Rev that sucker up! Don't granny it!

I can't believe the comments sometime...
Well if I start off in first I can`t give it some pedal ? or if I am in second or 3 rd just below 3k I can`t step into it? That roadrunner engine pulls fine with black key just under 3k.

I do rev it up and thats the problem you hear the pinging unless you baby foot the pedal. You have to drive it like a granny for it not to ping.

If some people hear it and other don`t I think maybe the ones that don`t hear it have there baffles plates removed. I was surprised and kinda disappointed to read that it can happen in the install instructions afterwards.

If an aftermarket tuner made claim that pinging is normal from a tune then people would be saying it`s a sh*tty tune. I know it`s called a trackey key tune for the track but coming from ford I thought it would have been better.
Old 4/21/12, 08:16 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hori
That roadrunner engine pulls fine with black key just under 3k.
Right! Obviously there is a lot more spark advance with track key tune - as compared to the stock black key - as compared to aftermarket tuners. Its for the track man.
1st is geared low enough that as you take off and run up the rpm's before you shift, from then on you are in the power band. On a track you would want to stay in the power band right? You would never bog down under 3k right? You'd pick the appropriate gear for the curve to stay in the power band, then nail it hard coming out and upshift right?
If you're not sure, watch F1 Bahrain on Speed tomorrow am (early) and listen. They keep the revs up in the power band at all times. If its a tight curve they downshift to keep the engine revs up and then nail it coming out.

Even if you add some octane boost like Al suggests to minimize any 'under load' ping, you still shouldn't be boggin that engine with that hot track key tune anyway. Ever. All the porting, intake improvement, etc. for better breathing is made for high rpm performance - not granny driving in traffic. The track key tune adds to that with increased spark advance and prob more valve timing overlap by tweaking the TiVCT - all for high rpm running.

When you're not in those driving circumstances, go back to the stock black key.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/21/12 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: trackey install and detonation not happy!