Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/13, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Track Key Question

I plan to drive my Boss on the street only and to keep it for many years. I want to maintain the full 5-yr/60,000 mi powertrain warranty but would like the Track Key functionality after the factory powertrain warranty expires, just for fun and because it's a unique feature of the Boss. It will also give me something to look forward to and increase the fun quotient of the car when it's a bit older.

Should I wait and purchase the Track Key software when I want it installed or would it be better to buy it sooner? Is there any chance that it would not be available any longer in 5 years?

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by SBYBoss; 1/26/13 at 07:36 PM.
Old 1/26/13, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBYBoss
I plan to drive my Boss on the street only and to keep it for many years. I want to maintain the full 5-yr/60,000 mi powertrain warranty but would like the Track Key functionality after the factory powertrain warranty expires, just for fun and because it's a unique feature of the Boss. It will also give me something to look forward to and increase the fun quotient of the car when it's a bit older.

Should I wait and purchase the Track Key software when I want it installed or would it be better to buy it sooner? Is there any chance that it would not be available any longer in 5 years?

What are your thoughts on this?
What is it you like about the track key that you want? I would think that in 5 years or once your warrenty runs out someone will have figured out how to do the engine braking and everything else the track key does, and possibly make it more reliable so that you don't have to worry about the engine breaking like some have.
Old 1/26/13, 09:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
While I have no personal experience with the track key, my best friend bought a boss and spent many hours on the phone with ford racing. He told me that there is no guarantee the track key will still be available after your power train warranty is up. As suggested above, he decided to just get a custom tune once his warranty was gone.
Old 1/27/13, 09:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
What is it you like about the track key that you want? I would think that in 5 years or once your warrenty runs out someone will have figured out how to do the engine braking and everything else the track key does, and possibly make it more reliable so that you don't have to worry about the engine breaking like some have.
I'm interested in it mainly because it's available. How many cars have the ability to change personalities by the use of a different key? It's a cool feature.

I'm planning to keep the car stock and would prefer to use the Ford Racing Track Key tune because it's from Ford rather than aftermarket.

As far as engine braking, it's my understanding that it can be turned off by pressing a combination of buttons in the car, although this needs to be done each time it's started. And I can always use the regular key.

So basically it's just a cool and unique feature that I'd like to have eventually.

Edit: Correction - My comment above about being able to disable the engine braking is incorrect, I was thinking of the lopey idle that can be turned off. But if it gets to be irritating in certain circumstances there's always the regular key.

Last edited by SBYBoss; 1/27/13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 1/27/13, 09:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
While I have no personal experience with the track key, my best friend bought a boss and spent many hours on the phone with ford racing. He told me that there is no guarantee the track key will still be available after your power train warranty is up. As suggested above, he decided to just get a custom tune once his warranty was gone.
Did he mention if they said there would be any problem getting it installed after the powertrain warranty is up? I'm thinking that I could just buy it now and hang onto it until the warranty expires and then have it installed.
Old 1/27/13, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Did he mention if they said there would be any problem getting it installed after the powertrain warranty is up? I'm thinking that I could just buy it now and hang onto it until the warranty expires and then have it installed.
The problem would be if the program is no longer available. Ford racing makes no guarantee even if you have already purchased it. They recommend he install it and just not use the key until the warranty expires. Just installing software wouldn't void the warranty but using it does. My friend knew he couldn't be disciplined and decided to not get it. He figured if its available after, he'd buy it. If not, he'll get a custom tune.
Old 1/27/13, 09:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
The problem would be if the program is no longer available. Ford racing makes no guarantee even if you have already purchased it. They recommend he install it and just not use the key until the warranty expires. Just installing software wouldn't void the warranty but using it does. My friend knew he couldn't be disciplined and decided to not get it. He figured if its available after, he'd buy it. If not, he'll get a custom tune.
Okay, that's good info. - thanks. Maybe I should go ahead and have it installed and stash the red key away for future use. I would need to buy another regular key so my wife and I each have one, I wonder how much they cost?

It's interesting that the Track Key tune could be installed without triggering the computer to think/know it's been used. How would the installer know it's working? As you may be able to tell I know nothing about installing a software tune.
Old 1/27/13, 10:29 AM
GT Member

Life's too short, I installed mine the month after I got the car and lost the grey key. I think there's a little paranoia around this. I've had zero problems, and if something happens after 36k miles they have to prove the software caused the problem to not cover it.
Old 1/27/13, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

I don't understand why they would even offer the track key, only to void your warranty if you use it? It's a option/function from the factory, why wouldn't they stand behind "their tune?
Old 1/27/13, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Okay, that's good info. - thanks. Maybe I should go ahead and have it installed and stash the red key away for future use. I would need to buy another regular key so my wife and I each have one, I wonder how much they cost?

It's interesting that the Track Key tune could be installed without triggering the computer to think/know it's been used. How would the installer know it's working? As you may be able to tell I know nothing about installing a software tune.
If that's your plan, you should order an extra black key and red key, with the 2nd red key just being a spare, as you can only have 1 active trackey at a time.

I honestly don't know what all the hand wringing is about the Boss engine and Ford Racing tune. This engine is about as bullet proof as it gets, and the tune was created by FORD. If there were any warranty issues, your service dept. would have to prove it was the Trackey tune that caused the problem. This subject has got to be one of the top 5 in most Boss forums.

It's a cool feature, useful on the track, and to my knowledge not a single failure or warranty claim has been made against the Trackey feature. If there has been a claim made, I'd love to hear the details about it.

If you want to enjoy your Boss with a much more aggressive throttle response and exhaust note without completely voiding your warranty with an non Ford tune (again, much debate on this, but using a Ford Racing tune versus brand-x, chances are there shouldn't be a problem), then get the red key installed and start enjoying it. I only use it about once in every 15 or so times I go out and drive my Boss, but I'm really glad I have this feature.
Old 1/27/13, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
I don't understand why they would even offer the track key, only to void your warranty if you use it? It's a option/function from the factory, why wouldn't they stand behind "their tune?
As I understand it's not from the 'factory' it's from Ford Racing. There is a separation otherwise there would be no change or possible exceptions to the factory powertrain warranty with it installed. The car could have easily been shipped with the tune.

But that's really here nor there as far as I'm concerned. I would just like to maintain my powertrain warranty as long as possible - I'll have the car until long after it's expired - and then be able to add a little something new to it by installing the tune and am trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Old 1/27/13, 11:43 AM
V6 Member

I agree with the few comments before me. Its a great feature that you know you have directly from ford, and was made specifically for our cars. Also i think it might increase the value because of the exclusiveness of this tune.

With that being said, my car is a daily driver and will most likely never see the track anytime soon. I had the trackey programed a month after i bought my car. I can admit the initial reason that i got it was for the exclusiveness of it. The red key definitely increased the smile factor, or at least until i hit traffic. Its something about the extra engine braking and increase throttle response for traffic that was too much for heavy traffic. So for normal use i ended up switching back to the silver key, and left the red key for when its sunny out and i want to go to the mountains. Its also nice to have those choices. In total, its well worth having the trackey programed.
Old 1/27/13, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm interested in it mainly because it's available. How many cars have the ability to change personalities by the use of a different key? It's a cool feature.

I'm planning to keep the car stock and would prefer to use the Ford Racing Track Key tune because it's from Ford rather than aftermarket.

As far as engine braking, it's my understanding that it can be turned off by pressing a combination of buttons in the car, although this needs to be done each time it's started. And I can always use the regular key.

So basically it's just a cool and unique feature that I'd like to have eventually.
It's my understanding that you can have the car tuned and have it set to a key from some custom tuners. I would also say that a custom tune may be safer then something from Ford racing that is a cookie cutter tune. Plus with the Trac Key you cannot change very much as far as engine/exhaust mods. I am sure a catback will be fine but anything beyond that and I think it would start affecting the car.

Last edited by Brandon302; 1/27/13 at 02:53 PM.
Old 1/27/13, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

It's my understanding that you can have the car tuned and have it set to a key from some custom tuners. I would also say that a custom tune may be safer then something from Ford racing that is a cookie cutter tune. Plus with the Trac Key you cannot change very much as far as engine/exhaust mods. I am sure a catback will be fine but anything beyond that and I think it would start affecting the car.
I won't be changing anything. The car will stay stock other than the Track Key software.

So to get back to my original questions.....

1. Is there a chance that the Ford Racing Track Key software will not be available 5-years from now?

2. Will there be any problem getting it installed in 5 years if I purchase it now?

3. As someone else suggested, can I buy it and have it installed now and maintain my 5/60 powertrain warranty by not using the red key? That would probably be the best solution if it would work.

Last edited by SBYBoss; 1/27/13 at 03:03 PM.
Old 1/27/13, 05:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would buy it now if you want it, have it installed, and then never use it. Since they say the ECU is super smart you should be able to prove you never used it. The warranty is only lowered to 3/36 if the Trac Key is used from my understanding. And your 5/50 stay intact for other things that wouldn't be damaged by the Trac Key. I would call Ford to confirm but I am sure you would be fine installing it now.
Old 1/27/13, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

I would buy it now if you want it, have it installed, and then never use it. Since they say the ECU is super smart you should be able to prove you never used it. The warranty is only lowered to 3/36 if the Trac Key is used from my understanding. And your 5/50 stay intact for other things that wouldn't be damaged by the Trac Key. I would call Ford to confirm but I am sure you would be fine installing it now.
I agree. I think I'll call Ford and/or Ford Racing and ask about having it installed now and not using it.

Does anyone have good contact numbers to use for this type of question?

Last edited by SBYBoss; 1/27/13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 1/27/13, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Just remember it's 3/36 mos. from when you drove the car off the dealer lot not when you program the key.
Old 1/27/13, 05:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
Just remember it's 3/36 mos. from when you drove the car off the dealer lot not when you program the key.
The question is if I have it installed now and never use the red key will the powertrain warranty be reduced to 3/36 (as you say from the date the car entered service) or will the 5/60 remain in effect as long as the key is not used?

Is this a viable option to waiting until the 5/60 warranty expires to have the Track Key software installed?
Old 1/27/13, 06:06 PM
V6 Member

Like someone ready eluded to, part of the install requires "using" the red key. I don't think you could play that angle.

As for availability, it's probably anybody's guess on how long vouchers will be available.

As mentioned, warranty is only affected if there's a power train issue related to trackey use. I think most of us would agree its a mild safe tune....it doesn't even increase HP.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. I personally haven't used anything but the red key since having it installed. Just go for it and enjoy!
Old 1/27/13, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by striker GT
Just go for it and enjoy!
Well said, my '12 has been happy since around 15K and we're nearing the 30K mark.

Quick Reply: Track Key Question